RIP Tab Hunter

maninsoma
This topic is 2152 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his youth he was wonderful eye candy. I had a real crush on him at the time. But, oh dear god, he was an awful actor. As actors I really don't know who was worse Hunter or Troy Donahue but damn there were pretty!

I only really remember seeing him in Damn Yankees. My recollection is that he was pretty good in that movie although it's been a while. Maybe my opinion would change if I saw it again.

Gman

In his youth he was wonderful eye candy. I had a real crush on him at the time. But, oh dear god, he was an awful actor. As actors I really don't know who was worse Hunter or Troy Donahue but damn there were pretty!

Yeah, that must be why Bosley Crowther gave Tab a very good review when “Damn Yankees” was released. He was pretty. (Cue up the “my opinion” violin.)

Edited by Kenny

Tab was also "The Boy Next Door" in a 1960 TV version of 'Meet Me in St. Louis' -- opposite Jane Powell (in the Judy role). He actually got top billing over such luminaries of the cast: Myrna Loy, Walter Pidgeon, Ed Wynn and a very young Patty Duke (as the Margaret O'Brien character). I wish he lived next door to me growing up. . .

In the L.A. Times obituary for Tab Hunter, they pointed out that “Young Love” Tab Hunter’s first record knocked Elvis Presley off the #1 spot on the charts. Jack Warner found out and was furious. It was said that Warner Records was founded largely due to Jack Warner’s anger over Tab’s success. Warner believed he “owned” Tab Hunter. He auditioned 10 times for his role in “Battle Cry” getting the role and beating out both James Dean and Paul Newman for the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg5oWW5F2c