Hoagie, Hero, Sub,or Grinder? Hot Dog or Frank? Soda or Pop?

samhexum
This topic is 2155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in SE Michigan all my life. A co-worker (new to the area) asked where he could find a party store. I kind of goggled at him for a second because there's one about every half-mile. Party store, to me, is a liquor/beer/wine store. He meant someplace where he could pick up stuff like balloons, and decorations, and paper tablecloths in different themes.

LOL

Nobody from outside SE Michigan (aka the tri-county Detroit area as it was called when I lived there) ever gets the party store meaning. Yes, a party store to me, is a place to pick up beer, wine, liquor, chips, cigarettes, and sometimes a few basic food items.

My mother (an immigrant, who's English was not the best) used to refer to our local party store as the "little store" when she sent me on a errand to pick up something.

I really miss Detroit some times.

Edited by bashful

Growing up in CT, a liquor store was a "package store" or "packie" for short.

Coming to MA for college, it was weird that all of a sudden soda was "tonic" or "pop." What I used to call grinders as a kid became "subs."

"Hoagie" to me is the name of the guy who wrote the tune for "Stardust" (i.e. Hoagy Carmichael.)

Growing up in CT, a liquor store was a "package store" or "packie" for short.

Coming to MA for college, it was weird that all of a sudden soda was "tonic" or "pop." What I used to call grinders as a kid became "subs."

"Hoagie" to me is the name of the guy who wrote the tune for "Stardust" (i.e. Hoagy Carmichael.)

what part of Massachusetts did you go to college at?