On Average Americans Spend $10 A Day For Lunch

Avalon
This topic is 2160 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wben I get to eat lunch, it is usually ordered in from a local trattoria. They have a selection of 4 or 5 lunch specials each day. For $9.95 , the lunch includes a starter...I usually go with the soup but sometimes I will get something else and then a main dish which might be a panini sandwich or a Caeser salad with chicken or an individual pizza. A bottle of water is included. Delivery is free, though I tip. Usually, with tax and tip, it is $14.00. If I decide to have a caffeinated beverage with that, it runs closer to $17.oo. It is pricey but the food is good and plentiful. I can usually skip dinner or eat a light snack for dinner after these lunches.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a grad student in Boston years ago we had this Chinese food truck on campus. They must have had like 50 things on the menu all delicious. Everything cost $3 and came in a styrofoam box with a plastic spork. Went there for lunch almost every day. Of course when I was feeling really cheap I would get frozen microwave burritos - 3 for a buck at star market. Is that chain still around?

Star Market is now part of Shaw's (Albertson's). They kept the Star Market name for some of their smaller stores.

Edited by craigville beach

When I was working full time, I could never understand how the younger folk would buy their lunch out everyday for $10 or more dollars, get the fancy coffee drinks out.... and then complain how they never had any money. My budget was $5 is I bought lunch but most of the time I brought from home.

Yes it is...I was just up there for my reunion 2 weeks ago.

Star Market is not part of Shaw's (Albertson's). They kept the Star Market name for some of their smaller stores.

Thanks. I presume the big store on Mt. Auburn st. in Cambridge doesn't fall into that category?

When I was working full time, I could never understand how the younger folk would buy their lunch out everyday for $10 or more dollars, get the fancy coffee drinks out.... and then complain how they never had any money. My budget was $5 is I bought lunch but most of the time I brought from home.

The majority of people in general don't actually budget. And young people in their first jobs are especially prone to this because they went from very low income to moderate income and "feel" rich. "Hey I went from $8k to $35k this year, I should be able to have Starbucks every day!" Well, you could, if you were sill living in a subsidized dorm room with 3 roommates, but now you've got an apartment and utilities at market rate, commuting expense, higher taxes because you're in a higher bracket, insurance, etc...

My office is in my home, so I rarely eat lunch out. Lunch at home probably costs a couple bucks. I fix a turkey or tuna sandwich on a nice sandwich roll- french or ciabatta- some nuts and some berries.

When the cleaning lady comes, I go to the gym and eat lunch out. A sandwich is typically about 12 bucks.

I worked in a hospital. I'd get a half of a tuna salad sandwich. It was $1.75. They had incredible ham salad, which is no longer available.

In high school, I would have either two (2) ham salad sandwiches, and a 1/3 qt. of milk, for $0.43 ($0.20 for the sandwiches, and $0.03 for the milk)

OR

Two hamburgers at $0.23 each.

There were "entrees" but I was never interested in them.

I worked in a hospital. I'd get a half of a tuna salad sandwich. It was $1.75. They had incredible ham salad, which is no longer available.

In high school, I would have either two (2) ham salad sandwiches, and a 1/3 qt. of milk, for $0.43 ($0.20 for the sandwiches, and $0.03 for the milk)

OR

Two hamburgers at $0.23 each.

There were "entrees" but I was never interested in them.

Years ago, the food in hospital cafeterias was outstanding and absurdly cheap, I suppose because they were subsidized. In my first job ever, I was an orderly at a VA Hospital. The food in the canteen at the VA was crappy, but across the street, there was a Jewish hospital that had a superb cafeteria. We used to sneak over there for lunch and pretend we worked there to get the employee price.

My mother was hospitalized at Emory University Hospital a few years ago, and the cafeteria reminded me of the hospital cafeterias of years gone by.

Years ago, the food in hospital cafeterias was outstanding and absurdly cheap, I suppose because they were subsidized. In my first job ever, I was an orderly at a VA Hospital. The food in the canteen at the VA was crappy, but across the street, there was a Jewish hospital that had a superb cafeteria. We used to sneak over there for lunch and pretend we worked there to get the employee price.

My mother was hospitalized at Emory University Hospital a few years ago, and the cafeteria reminded me of the hospital cafeterias of years gone by.

This was in 2012. I was always kind an courteous to the sandwich lady. Last time I went, I got a full ice-cream scoop of tuna salad on my "half" sandwich.

Star Market is now part of Shaw's (Albertson's). They kept the Star Market name for some of their smaller stores.

When I used to stay in Kihei Maui, there was Star Market, and a Foodland, unless you wanted to venture out toward Piilani Hwy. to the Safeway. Foodland was my go-to store, then Longs Drug Store (unfortunately, now a CVS -- yuck).