V for Vendetta, wow...

JamesK840
This topic is 6629 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I went into it not expecting much. I knew the guy who wrote the comic had his name removed, and was told that there was a lot of political commentary originated under Thatcher in England in the 80s that probably wasn't relevant to anything.

Then there was Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers, who seemed to have no talent for anything other then VFX in the last two Matrix movies.

So I went in expecting good visuals and maybe some pointless political commentary.

Instead I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'm not going to get into the political overtones that'd get this thread moved, but there are snippets of control of the media and the use of fear that I thought hit the mark perfectly, perhaps in a more subtle way then many were expecting and thus didn't quite get. Maybe not perfectly relevant to today, instead a look at one possibility for tomorrow if things don't change...

There's also a lot about the repression of gays by religious fascists, some of which is surprisingly touching.

And some cool fight scenes, though it's not actually a VfX-heavy movie. It starts a bit odd and there's a lot of talking, but if you go in with an open mind I think you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Who else has seen it, what did you think?

Guest DickHo

I thought it was very derivative (1984 meets Phantom of the Opera), some bits amusing and Natalie Portman with the second worst British accent by an American in film (first was Tom Cruise in Far and Away).

BTW, I hate The Matrix movies too.

Dick

LOVED IT!!! :-) It did what few movies have done before: kept me in my seat, squirming, bladder full, badly needing to pull my cock out and piss, but riveted to the screen. Some day I'd like to sit in the back row of an empty (or semi-empty) theater and have a client blow me while we're watching such a movie. I could really get off watching V, me tightly gripping the back of someone's head while sliding my cock deep down his smooth, silky throat, gently forcing him all the way down on it, to swallow the whole thing, his lips rubbing up against my pubes, blasting a load all over the theater seat or even better, down his throat!

One thing could have made V better: TIE THE FUCKER UP <<TIGHT>>. I'm hereby demanding a sequel: V gets tied up and raped by one his hot prison guards.

A date for the next showing? Line up puppies!

Guest rohale

>I thought it was very derivative (1984 meets Phantom of the

>Opera), some bits amusing and Natalie Portman with the second

>worst British accent by an American in film (first was Tom

>Cruise in Far and Away).

>

>BTW, I hate The Matrix movies too.

>

>Dick

Actually Tom Cruise was attempting to play an Irishman.

Guest rohale

The best way to visually enjoy the film is through the IMAX Experience. The special effects were stunning to say the least, in some ways resembling the " Matix ". The story line was a bit hard to follow at times, but then I thought the performances more than made up for it.

I thought John Hurt was absolutely brilliant in playing the villain, he brought this mercurial quality to his performance. By far being in Vendetta was his best performance in maybe twenty two years. I cant say enough about this underated performer.

It was great to say Stephen Rea, he gave a rather subdued performance. He didn't give his all, he should great restrain there. I certainly didn't think of it as a bad thing. Hopefully people will start to recognise him more for his work these days outside the realm of his early 1990's film " The Crying Game ". He's a really talented actor when given the chance to shine.

Offcourse I musn't forget to mention Stephen Fry. It was a relatively minor role for Mr Fry. In fact, I'd completely forgotten how good he looks on camera, strong. His eyes were very expressive. He brought this vulnerable quality to his role which I thought was very delightful.

To those who dont know, Steven Fry is rather grand and very famous these days in Great Britain. He's a brilliant actor when it comes to comedy. He's also developing quite nicely as a writer as well. He's one those perfomers who is very considered an all round entertainer which is very rare these days.

Twenty years ago now a guy by the name of Jeremy Beadle created a programme called " Game For A Laugh " for London Weekend Television. The show lasted a few years. He's done all sorts of things ever since and still enjoys a certain amount of popularity on British television. One of his earliest discoveries was a young struggling writer in the early 1980's who went by the name of Stephen Fry. Not too long ago, Mr Beadle made an appearance in London on one of those breakfast shows and he was asked to describe his friendship with Mr Fry. He reminded the host as well as the television audience that a few years back a poll was conducted where many people thought of Stephen Fry as " Britian's Favourite Teddy Bear ".

To those in England who have followed his career, this s probably how he will be always remembered for. For most people in America, the name Stephen Fry means absolutely nothing. In turn it's a shame, cause he's such a great talent and I hope some Hollywood producer gives him a chance to prove him much in the same way as his old friend Hugh Laurie was given. I hope his appearance in the film Vendetta gives him that vehicle make sa dent in the American television market. Television has been very good to him over the years.

As for Natalie Portman, I thought this was her best performance in quite a few years now. She's developing quite nicely as an actress. She's choosing her roles very carefully and her appearance in " Vendetta " made her the action " chick " for me.

One of my favourite aspects about the film was the idea that director wanted to pay homage to " Benny Hill " and offcourse the " Carry On " series in one or two particular scenes which were done very nicely and tastefully. Overall a nice film to watch just to pass the time.

Rohale

Liked the movie so much I bought the Comic book ($20 for a new softcover edition of the whole run). The movie actually follows the comic about as closely as it could have, updating things that were too dated. Having read it I can't imagine what Alan Moore's problem was, other then assuming it'd be like that travesty of a movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and speaking out against V before he saw it.

Interestingly many of the visuals are also very close. Much like Sin City in how closely the movie followed the illustrations, except V is based on art I actually liked to look at.

Also, I was kinda surprised that the fairly deep stuff about gay love and persecution WAS in a popular comic book started in '83!

I'm not much of a comic reader, but I enjoyed the book. Enjoyed the movie more though, will probably see it again in theaters. Hopefully in Imax this time.

Guest Jesse Dane

>Some day I'd like to sit in the back row of an empty (or

>semi-empty) theater and have a client blow me while we're

>watching such a movie. I could really get off watching V, me

>tightly gripping the back of someone's head while sliding my

>cock deep down his smooth, silky throat, gently forcing him

>all the way down on it, to swallow the whole thing, his lips

>rubbing up against my pubes, blasting a load all over the

>theater seat or even better, down his throat!

I did that once! Not with a client, but just a hot boy I knew. Was soooooo hot!

Saw a matinee this afternoon.

As for Stephen Fry, he has also appeared in the Title role in PETER'S FRIENDS, as well as Oscar Wilde.

Also appearing in V was Rupert Graves who some may remember for his multiple nude scenes as Scudder in MAURICE.

I enjoyed the film, thought the story and performances were strong and might be interested in seeing the IMAX version.

As always Ro, enjoyed your comments on V...

I second most every positive thing that people had to say about this film. It was nice to see an action-genre movie that didn't take it's audience for idiots. While it may not have been Shakespeare, it did require the audience to comprehend and not just stare aimlessly at random explosions.

I had an absolute blast listening to Hugo Weaving wrap his rich voice around V's various verbal gymnastics. The film had a nice balance of camp, outward message and action sequence. If one were so inclined, they could easily watch 'V' and recognize bits and pieces of other great film themes. Two that immediately pop into mind are '1984' and 'Clockwork Orange.' The 'Benny Hill' montage was also great.

Portman's brit tongue wasn't that bad: Hey, let's not forget the muddled mess that was Bridget Jones's accent a few years back. Rene Zellweger was practically painful to listen to throughout that movie :)

~BN

Caught V the other night. It struck me as a very inventive update of The Count of Monte-Christo (a/k/a The Man in the Iron Mask) - and of course that was the film that V loved to have on his video screen!

Weaving was fantastic - proving it is possible to create an extraordinary nuanced character whose face you never see. But then, the entire cast was superb and the special effects awesome.

Thanks for the post. I had not planned to see it based upon first impressions of the trailer. I checked some other reviews after reading your post and just returned from the theater. I enjoyed as did most of the audience.

Guest ReturnOfS

You know, I wasn't even sure that I was going to see "V for Vendetta" until I saw this post. This past weekend I saw the movie with a couple of friends. My friends and I agree with the general consensus of this post. It is a GREAT movie. I plan on seeing it again and getting as many of my friends to see it as possible. Thanks for recommending it.

>I'm not much of a comic reader, but I enjoyed the book.

>Enjoyed the movie more though, will probably see it again in

>theaters. Hopefully in Imax this time.

I just saw it again, in IMAX, and I was again pleasantly surprised that the movie held up and I enjoyed the second screening almost as much as the first.

So anybody who hasn't seen it yet... well, I guess this thread can speak for itself.

Great Movie.

Also saw Inside Man-another good film!

Rohale-now don't be so dismissive of us Yanks-not only did I know who Stephen Fry was-I actually read one of books.

My nephew was more interested in the fact that I was standing next to Adam Sandler at the chocolate shop on San Fernando than the films I saw that day :+

Archived