Anyone Play Chess?

Avalon
This topic is 2183 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Never played chess. I inherited card playing from my father. He taught me (or tried) to play bridge. Don't remember anything. He loved to have all the guys down in the basement to play penny poker on big holiday dinners, or in the backyard if it was summer. In college, I played a lot of euchre. After college, learned to play canasta, but didn't play often enough, so forgot soon. In his 80's, my father began playing cribbage. I remember visiting, and he was teaching me. I'm positive he was making up different rules in his favor when it looked like I was winning because the next day, there was always a new rule. I think it kept is mind sharp as he lived well into his 90's and never failed to mention how Bush was fucking things up.

Chess can be a very engaging, very complicated game, depending on who your opponent is. I often played it during my college years and found the strategy involved wonderfully immersive. It takes great concentration with a good opponent, though, and is certainly not for people with short attention spans. Sorry if this goes off topic, but the musical Chess (with music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of the pop group ABBA, lyrics by Tim Rice, and a book by Richard Nelson based on an idea by Rice) has one of my favorite songs, "Anthem" about the main character's devotion to his homeland, though he disagrees with his government. It also has the top ten hit "One Night in Bangkok" which was played as various dance mixes in gay clubs back in the day!

TruHart1 :cool:

Chess can be a very engaging, very complicated game, depending on who your opponent is. I often played it during my college years and found the strategy involved wonderfully immersive. It takes great concentration with a good opponent, though, and is certainly not for people with short attention spans. Sorry if this goes off topic, but the musical Chess (with music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of the pop group ABBA, lyrics by Tim Rice, and a book by Richard Nelson based on an idea by Rice) has one of my favorite songs, "Anthem" about the main character's devotion to his homeland, though he disagrees with his government. It also has the top ten hit "One Night in Bangkok" which was played as various dance mixes in gay clubs back in the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-ir6-KN3Y

Murray Head (who created Judas Iscariot on the Jesus Christ, Superstar original concept album) was the original American Freddie Trumper in Chess.

Here is my favorite Chess song, "Anthem" from the 2008 concert performance of Chess at The Royal Albert Hall which is the first act finale, sung by Josh Groban, as the Russian chess champion, Anatoly Sergievsky, followed by the Act 2 opening, "One Night in Bangkok" sung by Adam Pascal, as the American chess champion Freddie Trumper:

Murray Head (who created Judas Iscariot on the Jesus Christ, Superstar original concept album) was the original American Freddie Trumper in Chess.

Here is my favorite Chess song, "Anthem" from the 2008 concert performance of Chess at The Royal Albert Hall which is the first act finale, sung by Josh Groban, as the Russian chess champion, Anatoly Sergievsky, followed by the Act 2 opening, "One Night in Bangkok" sung by Adam Pascal, as the American chess champion Freddie Trumper: