Question: Do public holidays impact your hours

This topic is 2191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am curious; as service providers, do you find that public holidays and associated long weekends, have a significant impact on your client volume or inquiry volume?

My (bias) assumption is that volume/inquiries will be down due to clients spending time with family or traveling. Providers will likely also want to spend time with their loved ones.

The counter point is that I know providers here in my city that are foreigners, they don’t have family obligations here. One of them reaches out to me and asked if we could meet this weekend, he has a light schedule. Not the first time this has happened either.

What is your experience? Do you prefer not to schedule for public holidays or resulting long weekends?

Thanks!

I am curious; as service providers, do you find that public holidays and associated long weekends, have a significant impact on your client volume or inquiry volume?

My (bias) assumption is that volume/inquiries will be down due to clients spending time with family or traveling. Providers will likely also want to spend time with their loved ones.

The counter point is that I know providers here in my city that are foreigners, they don’t have family obligations here. One of them reaches out to me and asked if we could meet this weekend, he has a light schedule. Not the first time this has happened either.

What is your experience? Do you prefer not to schedule for public holidays or resulting long weekends?

Thanks!

I've only been at it for a year. But so far it's been a mixed bag. With Memorial Day coming up I am curious too. I'm finding busier times actually come for us due to what conventions are going on in town more than a holiday though. Probably onto something about clients being busy with friends or families during Holidays.

I used to think that quasi-holidays (Columbus Day, et al) were good for work: half the couple is off to work and the other half gets it off (as it were).

Kevin Slater

What can I say; I try not to be too judgmental about getting off (so to speak). Quasi-holidays, Hallmark-holidays, I support them all!! ;)

I've only been at it for a year. But so far it's been a mixed bag. With Memorial Day coming up I am curious too. I'm finding busier times actually come for us due to what conventions are going on in town more than a holiday though. Probably onto something about clients being busy with friends or families during Holidays.

I noticed you received another glowing review on Daddy's yesterday- congratulations!!! ;) (Since I started the thread, I am sure I can get away with diverting from the original question!)

In my experience holidays, including summer and weekends, are more hit or miss compared to weekdays. When I do get work during these times, it often tends to be longer/higher-paying sessions tho.

Many guys have plans with friends or family and are unavailable. But the ones who do not have plans, are often free for much longer sessions than they ordinarily would be. I get more dinner dates, lunch dates, 8 hours bookings & overnights during weekends, holidays, and summers. But my overall booking volume will be much lower. I tend to avoid touring during holidays for this reason. Holidays are good times to work your base location, in my opinion/experience.

I noticed you received another glowing review on Daddy's yesterday- congratulations!!! ;) (Since I started the thread, I am sure I can get away with diverting from the original question!)

Thanks!! Yeah I didn't know until one of my regulars sent me a message to let me know he noticed it. :-) Naturally my RM traffic blew up for a day. haha! Sucks that we can't post our DAddys review links on RM anymore though. :-(

Around this time last year, I had a decent tour followed by an overnight that started Sunday before Memorial Day. So I was flying high.

This year, the week has been okay...but with being in WASHED UP, DC; many of the client types have run away from town, while the gay black pride comes to town. People in D.C. tend to go away on holidays, then the families and tourist come in.

I’m sure there’s still some staying in town, but I know how this thing works...so ain’t gonna be no fool and get my hopes up.

As for the question: I personally don’t care for holidays anymore. Spring seems to be bombarded with holidays. Living in a party city like Orlando, every holiday is like a category 5 hurricane. Too many people, too much traffic and waiting and lines everywhere. I’m no grinch, but I just don’t like what holidays stand for. We’re supposed to be reverencing dead people and independence, yet it always reverts to money, parties and guys acting stupid. And all it does is make Americans more flaky, stressed and avoidant...all of which we have more than enough of.

I’m ready to leave the country. Every holiday. Sign me the FUCK up.

Edited by Mocha

Around this time last year, I had a decent tour followed by an overnight that started Sunday before Memorial Day. So I was flying high.

This year, the week has been okay...but with being in WASHED UP, DC; many of the client types have run away from town, while the gay black pride comes to town. People in D.C. tend to go away on holidays, then the families and tourist come in.

I’m sure there’s still some staying in town, but I know how this thing works...so ain’t gonna be no fool and get my hopes up.

As for the question: I personally don’t care for holidays anymore. Spring seems to be bombarded with holidays. Living in a party city like Orlando, every holiday is like a category 5 hurricane. Too many people, too much traffic and waiting and lines everywhere. I’m no grinch, but I just don’t like what holidays stand for. We’re supposed to be reverencing dead people and independence, yet it always reverts to money, parties and guys acting stupid. And all it does is make Americans more flaky, stressed and avoidant...all of which we have more than enough of.

I’m ready to leave the country. Every holiday. Sign me the FUCK up.

I sense a lot of anger in you, young man... Don't sweat the things you cannot change, like crowded shopping malls - it will distract you from the positive things in your life, and the things that you can change! May harmony find you.

fear-leads-to-anger-anger-leads-to-hate-leads-to-suffering-yoda.jpg

I sense a lot of anger in you, young man... Don't sweat the things you cannot change, like crowded shopping malls - it will distract you from the positive things in your life, and the things that you can change! May harmony find you.

Cute, but actually there was a touch of facetiousness in that post. But let me tell you something: it’s easier to speak about it, than to actually be in the midst of it.

Btw, it’s not just shopping malls. It’s everything. I have been contending with one holiday after the next since Spring started, and each one just slows things up. What’s made it harder is, I don’t have a regular home base at the moment...so I’m always either traveling or planning to travel. Which means, it’s easy to get caught in the mix of the shit in the middle of a tour. Easter, Saint Patrick’s, Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day and now Memorial Day.

This is what usually ends up happening:

1) Friday I spent 3 hours waiting for tires to be put on my car, because of course EVERYBODY wants to get their car worked on for the holiday. fortunately there was a movie theater next door. Unfortunately...I had to go back again yesterday. Well guess what? I had to wait another 2 hours. It would have been 4, but since I waited yesterday, I got priority.

2) trying to get a haircut anyplace that knows how to cut Black hair around any public holiday, usually involves sitting on your ass for hours...because of course, everybody else wants to get their haircut.

3) trying to schedule clients around holidays often doesn’t work because of course: I’ve had several messages throughout the day of people who couldn’t meet because of family visiting, or this and that event.

4) People drive like they have no sense around public holidays. Some bitch today almost caused a major accident right next to me, because he or she was trying to drive 60 mph in a 40 and squeeze between two other cars....IN WASHINGTON DC. Knowing damn well you can’t go very fast for long out there.

5) Men: ever try dating around public holidays? Shit never works. It’s almost not even worth making plans with them, because they’re not going to follow through. Just like the MoFo who stood me up twice, Thursday and Friday night. If I’m in the right city, I’ll have friends to rely on and not have to worry about that shit. Unfortunately, due to logistics (and thinking I had reliable people to hang with), I’ll be in areas that I don’t really know anyone.

6) Money: there’s always the pressure to spend, spend, spend. I spend enough money without the holidays. Why do I need another holiday to remind me, why it’s so hard to be able to save money?

So yeah....I think I have a right to feel a certain way. It’s not high school and college where public holidays were something to look forward to. For me, it just creates an ominous dark cloud over me until they pass. And does anyone ever wonder why the weather usually always turns bad during public holidays? Because it’s a metaphor of what they stand for.

The only holidays I feel get celebrated for their actual meaning are Arbor Day, Valentines Day, Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas (when done properly, which isn’t always the case).

All the rest are just excuses to be silly.

1) Friday I spent 3 hours waiting for tires to be put on my car, because of course EVERYBODY wants to get their car worked on for the holiday. fortunately there was a movie theater next door. Unfortunately...I had to go back again yesterday. Well guess what? I had to wait another 2 hours. It would have been 4, but since I waited yesterday, I got priority.

Reminds me of this joke by Ron White... Enjoy! :)