Anne Frank

samhexum
This topic is 2103 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Dutch researchers uncovered two hidden pages in Anne Frank’s diary — that are full of dirty jokes and the teen’s thoughts on sex and prostitution.

“Anyone who reads the passages that now have been discovered will be unable to suppress a smile,” Frank van Vree, the director of the Netherlands Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies said at a Tuesday press conference unveiling the discovery.

“The ‘dirty’ jokes are classics among growing children. They make it clear that Anne, with all her gifts, was above all an ordinary girl,” he added, according to the Associated Press.

The 13-year-old scribbled the pages on Sept. 28, 1942 – less than three months after she her family went into hiding from the Nazis in the secret annex of an Amsterdam home.

She covered her racy words under a layer of brown paper to hide them from prying eyes.

Researchers from three institutes – the Anne Frank museum, the Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies and the Huygens Institute of Netherlands History — worked together and used digital technology to decipher the passages.

They photographed the pages, backlit by a flash, and then used image-processing software to decipher the words, which were jumbled with the writing on the other side of the pages.

In a passage on sex, Anne described how a young woman gets her period at 14, saying it’s “a sign that she is ripe to have relations with a man but one doesn’t do that of course before one is married.”

She also addressed prostitution, writing, “All men, if they are normal, go with women, women like that accost them on the street and then they go together. In Paris they have big houses for that. Papa has been there.”

The pages also contain four risqué jokes which the teen described herself as “dirty.”

“[The pages] bring us even closer to the girl and the writer Anne Frank,” Ronald Leopold, executive director of the Anne Frank House Museum said at the press conference.

Anne wrote in her diary until she and her family were discovered by the Nazis in 1944 and deported to Auschwitz.

She died at 15 in the Bergen-Belsen camp, along with her sister.

Anne’s father was the only member of the Frank family to survive. He had his daughter’s diary published and it has since been translated into dozens of languages and become a worldwide bestseller.

The institutions involved in deciphering the new pages say that it is unclear whether they’ll be incorporated into new editions because of copyright issues.

also...

Recently discovered journal reveals tragic story of Poland’s Anne Frank

https://nypost.com/2018/03/25/recently-discovered-journal-gives-harrowing-insight-into-nazi-occupied-poland/

"Anne Frank, a nun, and a hooker walk into a bar..."

Anne Frank, a nun, and a hooker are up in an attic...

sorry. tasteless.

but since I did play Otto Frank in The Diary of Anne Frank a few years ago, and had audiences streaming tears at the end of the play... perhaps inserting a little humor here is ok? I mean, I just learned my daughter's been writing smut. I could use a little comic relief...

sorry. tasteless, again.

I mean, I just learned my daughter's been writing smut.

In my teens, the sister of the best-looking guy in my neighborhood wrote erotic novels. Several years ago their cousin brutally murdered his therapist. Maybe warn your relatives...

• 3 months later...

‘Anne & Frank’ bakery owner considers name change after backlash

180828-anne-and-frank-bakery.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

An Amsterdam bakery owner has been assailed for naming his new store “Anne & Frank” – linking it to the world-famous Jewish diarist who died in the Holocaust after hiding from the Nazis with her parents.

Twitter users slammed the owner, named only as Roberto, for being “tasteless” in his decision to tie his Dutch business to the girl, who died of typhus at age 15 in the Bergen-Belsen camp in 1945.

Roberto was quoted as saying “it seemed like a nice name to me,” adding that Anne “is a hero for me, too,” according to the BBC.

He told Dutch media he would change the name.

“I’ll have a good think about it,” he said. “It wasn’t my intention to offend anyone.”

Social media user Drukke Toestand tweeted that “even if the owners had been called Anne and Frank it would still be shocking.”

Anne wrote in her diary until she and her family were discovered by the Nazis on Aug. 4, 1944, and deported to Auschwitz.

Her father, Otto, was the only member of the Frank family to survive. He had his daughter’s diary published and it has since been translated into dozens of languages and become a worldwide bestseller.

The Anne Frank House, located in the same neighborhood as the bakery, is one of the top sights for tourists to Amsterdam.

‘Anne & Frank’ bakery owner considers name change after backlash

180828-anne-and-frank-bakery.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

An Amsterdam bakery owner has been assailed for naming his new store “Anne & Frank” – linking it to the world-famous Jewish diarist who died in the Holocaust after hiding from the Nazis with her parents.

Twitter users slammed the owner, named only as Roberto, for being “tasteless” in his decision to tie his Dutch business to the girl, who died of typhus at age 15 in the Bergen-Belsen camp in 1945.

Roberto was quoted as saying “it seemed like a nice name to me,” adding that Anne “is a hero for me, too,” according to the BBC.

He told Dutch media he would change the name.

“I’ll have a good think about it,” he said. “It wasn’t my intention to offend anyone.”

Social media user Drukke Toestand tweeted that “even if the owners had been called Anne and Frank it would still be shocking.”

Anne wrote in her diary until she and her family were discovered by the Nazis on Aug. 4, 1944, and deported to Auschwitz.

Her father, Otto, was the only member of the Frank family to survive. He had his daughter’s diary published and it has since been translated into dozens of languages and become a worldwide bestseller.

The Anne Frank House, located in the same neighborhood as the bakery, is one of the top sights for tourists to Amsterdam.

Is it at least kosher?