Taboo Montreal - May 2018

This topic is 2109 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just returned from 4 days in Montreal from May 3 - May 6. To make a long story short, Taboo sucks. On both Friday and Saturday night at 10pm there was literally nobody dancing on stage. Maybe 3 or 4 dancers total inside the club, surrounded by about 15-20 regular customers. It was a ghost town.

I saw a well dressed businessman in an expensive suit totally ignored the whole time I was there. He later left with a look of disgust on his face that a not a single dancer approached him. The dancers I did see where not very beautiful. I recognized one from last year whom I had taken back to my Air BnB. He colored his hair blond and apparently "knows" every customer very well. Eww! I guess that's the reality of the business.

Adonis has a huge statue of a naked man inside sporting a giant schlong. Very classy! The dancers at Adonis looked worst than the dancers at Gold Coast in Detroit. Basically, my 4-day twink vacation was a total bust.

Campus was full of muscle guys, and I never go to Stock as I'm exclusively into skinny twinks. I only saw a couple street hustles who were nasty.

My magic kingdom that I've come to know and love in 2005 is no longer. Every year the reviews I write of Montreal clearly get worse and worse. I think it's a good idea for me to initiate a self-imposed moratorium for a few years, as Montreal isn't worth the expense and effort anymore. This was my 16th and likely final visit since May 2005 . I've gone my car, train, and plane in the 13 years I've visited.

I guess it's time to invest in a smartphone and set up a grindr/hornet account. There's no denying the gay strip club twink scene in Montreal (and elsewhere) is a ghost town and has been on a major decline.

Taboo Manager Gerry and Bartender Diego really needed to go years ago. As others have mentioned, there's no way Montreal can support 4 gay strip clubs; however, I can still see it being a fun playground for people into the Stock type of muscle dancers.

Twink lovers are out of luck.

Edited by twinkboylover28

I just returned from 4 days in Montreal from May 3 - May 6. To make a long story short, Taboo sucks. On both Friday and Saturday night at 10pm there was literally nobody dancing on stage. Maybe 3 or 4 dancers total inside the club, surrounded by about 15-20 regular customers. It was a ghost town.

I saw a well dressed businessman in an expensive suit totally ignored the whole time I was there. He later left with a look of disgust on his face that a not a single dancer approached him. The dancers I did see where not very beautiful. I recognized one from last year whom I had taken back to my Air BnB. He colored his hair blond and apparently "knows" every customer very well. Eww! I guess that's the reality of the business.

Adonis has a huge statue of a naked man inside sporting a giant schlong. Very classy! The dancers at Adonis looked worst than the dancers at Gold Coast in Detroit. Basically, my 4-day twink vacation was a total bust.

Campus was full of muscle guys, and I never go to Stock as I'm exclusively into skinny twinks. I only saw a couple street hustles who were nasty.

My magic kingdom that I've come to know and love in 2005 is no longer. Every year the reviews I write of Montreal clearly get worse and worse. I think it's a good idea for me to initiate a self-imposed moratorium for a few years, as Montreal isn't worth the expense and effort anymore. This was my 16th and likely final visit since May 2005 . I've gone my car, train, and plane in the 13 years I've visited.

I guess it's time to invest in a smartphone and set up a grindr/hornet account. There's no denying the gay strip club twink scene in Montreal (and elsewhere) is a ghost town and has been on a major decline.

Taboo Manager Gerry and Bartender Diego really needed to go years ago. As others have mentioned, there's no way Montreal can support 4 gay strip clubs; however, I can still see it being a fun playground for people into the Stock type of muscle dancers.

I appreciate your review. Looking to go back to Montreal myself. Like you, I prefer Campus over Stock bar. Stock dancers look way too muscular for my taste. Never had a chance to go to Taboo not that there’s a reason after your experience.

Edited by MassageDrew

"I recognized one from last year whom I had taken back to my Air BnB. He colored his hair blond and apparently "knows" every customer very well. Eww!"

This is odd. He had sex with you, which is fine. He has sex with other men, which is disgusting?

That's how I felt. And as the shrinks like to say: "if that's how you feel, than that's how you feel."

While I know I shouldn't expect a prostitute to only have sex with one person, as they would go out of business, the regular customers were just so old and nasty looking it sent shivers down my spine. I'm not going to apologize for the way I felt. That's why I am more boyfriend oriented than prostitute oriented, as I don't subscribe to the whole polyamory bathhouse lifestyle. To each his own. To pretend that's not exactly what's happening would be disingenuous. Should I not "mind" or think about these realities?

The thing that was alarming to me was that he just started to top me raw after eating my ass without even asking. I put a stop to it immediately after I realized what was going on after 20 seconds (that he was topping with no condom) and went to the ER in MTL.

I ended up spending $1400 for the ER visit and first 3 doses of PEP, and it costs thousands of dollars more when I returned home to the USA to complete the 4 week PEP drug regimen. Thank goodness I am negative and my insurance covered the pills in the USA. It was not a pleasant experience.

If the dancer is willing to top me raw without even asking, then he will do that to anyone (and likely most) of his clients. Not safe! People who do that usually don't have much regard for their sexual health as they are usually already HIV positive.

That's how I felt. And as the shrinks like to say: "if that's how you feel, than that's how you feel."

While I know I shouldn't expect a prostitute to only have sex with one person, as they would go out of business, the regular customers were just so old and nasty looking it sent shivers down my spine. I'm not going to apologize for the way I felt. That's why I am more boyfriend oriented than prostitute oriented, as I don't subscribe to the whole polyamory bathhouse lifestyle. To each his own. To pretend that's not exactly what's happening would be disingenuous. Should I not "mind" or think about these realities?

The thing that was alarming to me was that he just started to top me raw after eating my ass without even asking. I put a stop to it immediately after I realized what was going on after 20 seconds (that he was topping with no condom) and went to the ER in MTL.

I ended up spending $1400 for the ER visit and first 3 doses of PEP, and it costs thousands of dollars more when I returned home to the USA to complete the 4 week PEP drug regimen. Thank goodness I am negative and my insurance covered the pills in the USA. It was not a pleasant experience.

If the dancer is willing to top me raw without even asking, then he will do that to anyone (and likely most) of his clients. Not safe! People who do that usually don't have much regard for their sexual health as they are usually already HIV positive.

Unrelated to Taboo but related to your ER visit. I remember going to the ER about 4 years ago and there was a Korea tourist in front of me that was paying for the visit. I remember at the time being completely shocked about someone paying money to be at the hospital. My experience in Canada, before this, was that the hospital was universally available, free of fees, as needed.

Edited by P Gren

• 4 weeks later...
Unrelated to Taboo but related to your ER visit. I remember going to the ER about 4 years ago and there was a Korea tourist in front of me that was paying for the visit. I remember at the time being completely shocked about someone paying money to be at the hospital. It had never occurred to me that the hospital wasn't universally available, free of fees, as needed.

Yes, I hear you. When I was at the Emergency Room there was someone waiting in line who had been stabbed. I was amazed they placed me as a priority to get PEP over a bleeding stab victim. It's risky for me to leave the state and go on vacation, as my insurance won't cover anything in the event I need medical care.

TBL28, you've mentioned that your type is twinky, borderline aneroxic, masculine guys between 18-20. Isn't that particular combination pretty rare?. Most skinny 18 y.o. guys who see themselves as masculine don't want to look anorexic; they're interested in building up some muscle. The exception would be nerdy guys who aren’t focused on their looks at all, but you probably wouldn't find them in strip clubs. (BTW, if you want a Nordic type too, that reduces your numbers even further.)

I think you're right that grindr is a better way to go.

Edited by FreshFluff

Yes, you're correct that it's hard-to-find, especially twinks that enjoy older guys and/or to be spoiled. I've seen older friends have success on Grindr, Hornet, etc. I think just shopping at retail establishments, grocery stores, and fast food places often provide ample opportunity to strike up a friendly conversation. If you're a regular customer they get to know you. The first person I ever fell for was a "straight" raver twink who worked at dairy queen. Those 2-years are some of my fondest memories. I'm sure some of it depends where you live (big metro city or small rural town), age, physical appearance, dress, grooming, personality, net worth, etc. You know...the usual...

I had a lot of success in Montreal back in 2005. Today (actually the last decade), not so much. To each his own!

• 2 months later...
I appreciate your review. Looking to go back to Montreal myself. Like you, I prefer Campus over Stock bar. Stock dancers look way too muscular for my taste. Never had a chance to go to Taboo not that there’s a reason after your experience.

Hi Drew, I've never been to Campus or stock bar. I'm thinking of going, was wondering where you prefer to stay when you go, for a fellow chicagoan.

thanks

Hi Drew, I've never been to Campus or stock bar. I'm thinking of going, was wondering where you prefer to stay when you go, for a fellow chicagoan.

thanks

I actually stayed at the Omni hotel by Mount Royal Park. Some of my friends like to stay closer to the gay village but it’s not really that far. I pretty much took the train. As for the two bars I sort of preferred Campus over Stock Bar. But beware. Dancers and the bartenders tend to swarm around you even if you’re not ready for anything or a drink refill. I happen to ran out of Canadian dollars so I used whatever limited US dollars I had and that made me popular lol. You can still use US dollars anywhere but the exchange rate for you change may not be as good as when you get it from a bank or other currency exchange places.

Edited by MassageDrew

I actually stayed at the Omni hotel by Mount Royal Park. Some of my friends like to stay closer to the gay village but it’s not really that far. I pretty much took the train.

The OMNI is hands down my favorite hotel in the Golden Square Mile of downtown Montreal's business district. I always bring my old-school shower head and a wrench. I ask to stay in a corner room on the 21st floor (2102, 2115). Beautiful views, great A/C and strong shower pressure (when you bring your own shower head) in a very safe and comfortable area. I once stayed on the top floor ( 29 and 30) and the water pressure was abysmal. That's why I insist on 21st floor. Also, no issues with bringing "guests" to your room. The metro is 2 minutes away.

I usually manage to get the "Premium" room at the OMNI on TripAdvisor for around $200 USD per night (which includes all the crazy 19% Canadian hotel taxes). Very good deal during the peak season May - October. Obviously the hotel is much cheaper off season. Plus, the 30% exchange rate helps too, and I always click thru EBATES to get additional cash back!

Highly recommend the 4-star OMNI Mont Royal hotel in downtown Montreal.

The OMNI is hands down my favorite hotel in the Golden Square Mile of downtown Montreal's business district. I always bring my old-school shower head and a wrench. I ask to stay in a corner room on the 21st floor (2102, 2115). Beautiful views, great A/C and strong shower pressure (when you bring your own shower head) in a very safe and comfortable area. I once stayed on the top floor ( 29 and 30) and the water pressure was abysmal. That's why I insist on 21st floor. Also, no issues with bringing "guests" to your room. The metro is 2 minutes away.

I usually manage to get the "Premium" room at the OMNI on TripAdvisor for around $200 USD per night (which includes all the crazy 19% Canadian hotel taxes). Very good deal during the peak season May - October. Obviously the hotel is much cheaper off season. Plus, the 30% exchange rate helps too, and I always click thru EBATES to get additional cash back!

Highly recommend the 4-star OMNI Mont Royal hotel in downtown Montreal.

I usually don’t ask for the floor but I do ask that it has a view. Overall it is a very nice hotel. Friends of mine stayed at another hotel nearby mine and they had nothing good to say about it. I was surprised to hear their comments about a well-established hotel brand. Just cannot remember which one of the big hotel chains.