Lyft driver sexually assaulted passenger after she refused $1K offer

marylander1940
This topic is 2187 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don’t want to minimize what’s happened to any victim of sexual assault, but the article places heavy emphasis on this point: “Hanif’s arrest comes after a CNN report last month found that at least 103 Uber drivers and 18 Lyft drivers have been accused of sexually assaulting or abusing passengers in the last four years.”

Through May 20, 2017, Uber had achieved 5billion rides following an exponential growth curve (4billion of the rides were achieved in about the last 18 months)...source: Uber.com with a bit of S.W.A.G.

So, let’s just assume that there were 2billion rides over the CNN study period - this is a rate of incidence of 0.0000000515...I think that’s odds of 1:20,000,000.

My off topic point: I really hate media induced hype. Clearly, this woman made an unwise choice that created an outcome she didn’t deserve. But uber is safe, women are safe, people are generally good, but we must all be ever vigilant.

This is so right. There are so many far more risky things that we do all the time.

I don’t want to minimize what’s happened to any victim of sexual assault, but the article places heavy emphasis on this point: “Hanif’s arrest comes after a CNN report last month found that at least 103 Uber drivers and 18 Lyft drivers have been accused of sexually assaulting or abusing passengers in the last four years.”

Through May 20, 2017, Uber had achieved 5billion rides following an exponential growth curve (4billion of the rides were achieved in about the last 18 months)...source: Uber.com with a bit of S.W.A.G.

So, let’s just assume that there were 2billion rides over the CNN study period - this is a rate of incidence of 0.0000000515...I think that’s odds of 1:20,000,000.

My off topic point: I really hate media induced hype. Clearly, this woman made an unwise choice that created an outcome she didn’t deserve. But uber is safe, women are safe, people are generally good, but we must all be ever vigilant.

What unwise choice? Drinking alcohol with someone she had built up a comfort level with? Isn't that tantamount to saying men are untrustworthy and women should just get used to it and act accordingly? Which makes "women are safe" an odd thing to say in the same post.

Surprisingly, I agree with you otherwise.

The driver should've never shared alcoholic drinks with any passengers. Not to mention she's driving. Sounds like you did spike it though.

An Uber driver in LA offered me alcohol. After doing so, he told me he had invested in bitcoin early and was going to buy real estate on some random island and retire. The whole story was so confusing that I didn't even bother to be skeptical about it. :rolleyes:

An Uber driver in LA offered me alcohol. After doing so, he told me he had invested in bitcoin early and was going to buy real estate on some random island and retire. The whole story was so confusing that I didn't even bother to be skeptical about it. :rolleyes:

I have minimal conversations with Uber drivers now...;)

Me: Hi

Uber: Hi, are you BVB?

Me: yes

Uber: so you're going to (insert location)

Me: Yes

Uber: So how's you're day going?

Me: Fine...

Eight minutes later...

Me: Thank you very much. I'll rate you and tip you on the app

Uber: Thank you very much sir.

Edited by bigvalboy

Interesting, I ask permission to sit in the front seat (except in NYC). Love the conversations I have with 80% of the drivers.

I've had everything from a redneck princess to an MIT PhD candidate. Interesting what you learn...

But you have the ability to do that in relative safety. Not everyone does - some women, people of color and disabled people have had bad experiences with app-based rides because of who they are.

I don't have a smartphone so I can't use apps anyway, but if I could I might specify only female drivers. Besides, I know their business model and ethics are dubious (Uber especially). The goal is to undercut taxi service, at which point prices can be raised. Drivers are not making out; rather, it's the owners and execs of the companies who are reaping the benefits of an admittedly user-friendly system. Unfortunately, they are engaged in predatory (i.e., below cost) pricing and skirting the accountability and regulations that come with public taxi service.

Uber: Hi, are you BVB

Uber: So how's you're day going

Eight minutes later...

Sometimes I chat up my Lyft Driver (I prefer Lyft for Delta SkyMiles and JetBlue TrueBlue Points). Other times, I like to just sit there silently. It irritates me when my driver doesn't pick up on the social cues.

Uber: Hi, are you BVB?

Uber: So how's you're day going?

Eight minutes later...

You should be more talkative...

Here in DC many of them are foreigners, I guess with a 3,9% unemployment rate Americans won't lift their fat asses of the sofa to make some extra bucks in their free time. Some are from Eritrea, Ethiopia and the Middle East, I've had great conversations with them.

You should be more talkative...

Here in DC many of them are foreigners, I guess with a 3,9% unemployment rate Americans won't lift their fat asses of the sofa to make some extra bucks in their free time. Some are from Eritrea, Ethiopia and the Middle East, I've had great conversations with them.

I had a Iranian Lyft driver recently. He proceeded to tell me everything that's wrong with this country. You have too many homeless people. People here don't want to work etc etc.

I told him not everybody is homeless because their too lazy to work. He gave me this weird look for the remaining part of the trip. Probably because he already knew i was going to give him a bad rating and yes I did ;)

Oh and btw. I never elicited any of this conversation. He was just a chatterbox.

I had a Iranian Lyft driver recently. He proceeded to tell me everything that's wrong with this country. You have too many homeless people. People here don't want to work etc etc.

I told him not everybody is homeless because their too lazy to work. He gave me this weird look for the remaining part of the trip. Probably because he already knew i was going to give him a bad rating and yes I did ;)

Oh and btw. I never elicited any of this conversation. He was just a chatterbox.

I would have told him: America love it or leave it!

One more thing, some folks are just one paycheck/rent away from becoming homeless, and most of folks begging on the street need psychological help.

One more thing, some folks are just one paycheck/rent away from becoming homeless, and most of folks begging on the street need psychological help.

Yeah don't forget drug addiction. That's also a mental illness. Also if you become disabled and don't have any kind of support you're fucked.

I told him you can go back to Iran and suck the Ayatollahs cock as far as I care. I said bitch don't ever talk about my country like that ever again. Okay not really but I wanted to. I just sat there in silence listening to it. Then I gave him a 1 star .