The Expanse on SyFy - a space opera?

I really enjoy space operas. Big fan of Dune, Honor Harrington series, Old Man's War series etc. They rarely make for good television - plots tend to be very complex. Somehow I missed the SyFy series "the Expanse". I believe it is based on a book by James Corey. Anyone seen it? Is it any good? (I would hate to be disappointed...) ;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of The Expanse. I've read all 7 books by James S A Corey (2 final books coming out by 2019) and this show is knocking it out of the park! Steven Strait and Wes Chatham eye candy doesn't hurt a bit. The show's gotten too expensive for SyFy given the limited number of viewers who want to put up with a censored version with commercials. Since Netflix and Amazon Prime are both carrying it, the authors are optimistic that it'll get picked up and extended, they're only in book 3 so far. I pay my vote of confidence to Amazon by buying the full season in HD ahead of time for $30. Best sci fi series out right now by a mile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just picked up on this series. I do hate that they've shaved Steven Strait's chest :-) It took a while to grab my interest, there's a lot of politics going on, but I'm about halfway through season 3 now and definitely enjoying it. I'm even starting to enjoy the belter patois.