Call the Midwife

actor61
This topic is 2234 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It is one of the corniest, over sentimentalized pieces of crap I've ever watched and I'm thoroughly addicted to it. Last night, there were 2 new episodes on PBS and as always, I found myself grabbing for a hankie before the first episode was halfway over. I knew that the Jewish lady was going to die and her husband would find God again. I knew that the racist hairdresser would end up friends with the Jamaican midwife. I knew the weakling husband would grow a pair and tell off his mother-in-law. I knew the squeamish, macho husband would end up delivering his wife's baby, and I knew Timothy would develop a crush on the hot au pair from Hungary. And yet I just couldn't stop watching. What is wrong with me???

I love this show,I was also a fan of Downton Abbey,I missed last weeks 2 episodes,I think the first 2 or 3 seasons were better and more like a serious drama and now its getting sillier but I still really enjoy it,I love PBS but I couldnt get into Poldark or Victoria but really love Midwife,there was another drama I liked called 800 words,it was based in New Zealand I liked it but was only on food a short time here,hopefully it will return

"Call the Midwife" has the ability to present all at once the state of the Poplar neighborhood and the shipyard community from 1955-65. It's reached the point now where there are marginal changes in society and the neighborhood and the Anglican Church will change with it. The delicate portrayal (and exploration) of human relationships is really well done. The service of the Church and the Sisters to this impoverished community was value beyond compare. It's usually what happens-- the Church comes in and establishes apostolates that no one else wants to do. Eventually they grow and are taken over by the state or other groups and the Church moves on.

Kipp

I love this show,I was also a fan of Downton Abbey,I missed last weeks 2 episodes,I think the first 2 or 3 seasons were better and more like a serious drama and now its getting sillier but I still really enjoy it,I love PBS but I couldnt get into Poldark or Victoria but really love Midwife,there was another drama I liked called 800 words,it was based in New Zealand I liked it but was only on food a short time here,hopefully it will return

I hated "Victoria" and "Poldark" too. I'm just so surprised by how much I like "Midwife". I don't like "800 Words", "Death in Paradise", "Father Brown" or any of the other mystery shows. I kind of liked the one David Tennant was in a few years ago in which he avenged his wife's murder but mostly because I like him so much. I adored "The Hollow Crown". I have a friend who thinks that anything on PBS is good and he gets very annoyed with me when I don't like something. Just because it's on PBS doesn't guarantee quality. I listened to the new version of "Prairie Home Companion" today on NPR. Dreadful. Just because it's on NPR doesn't mean it's automatically good. I never miss "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". Very clever. I don't like "This American Life" or the Terri Gross interviews mostly because Ira Glass and Terri Gross really irritate me. And those are my idle ramblings for the day.