Chicago

P Gren
This topic is 2270 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Any suggestions of a great neighborhood to stay in Chicago for a few days? Not much of an agenda, some sight seeing, exploring the city by foot, bike and transit. Things to do - beyond the bean and the boardwalk downtown

lucky you....Chicago is a great city.....

I've been to the exact site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn (now a CFD training facility!), the old Union Stockyards site (look for the memorial to 21 firefighters killed early in the 20th century - worst single FD accident until September 11), and the site of the famous 1893 World's Fair (Jackson Park - you'd never believe anything was ever there before)......I like offbeat historic spots like these......

downtown: walk thru the old Marshall Field's, of course, and get some Frango's mints.....take an architecture walking tour AND the river architecture boat trip both from the Chicago Architecture Foundation......look for the restored "L" stations.....the Navy Pier was NOT very interesting to me (more like a family hangout place).....

see the very spot John Dillinger was gunned down.....look for the original Playboy Mansion......visit the Jane Addams-Hull House, formerly in a notorious slum, now surrounded by UI Chicago and a Daley-era expressway

admittedly, my interests and yours may not match!.....rental bike kiosks are scattered downtown.....

a ton of stuff to see......

Edited by azdr0710

If you are staying in a hotel, your best bets are the Loop, Magnificent Mile, or River North. There is also a Days Inn in Lincoln Park, a Best Western in Boystown, and three boutique hotels in Lakeview that are worth checking out. If you are staying in an airbnb, I agree with the neighborhoods others have recommended and would add Old Irving Park and Logan Square on the Northwest Side (just make sure you are within walking distance of the Blue Line) the western edge of Lakeview (anywhere near the Brown Line), Lincoln Park, and Ravenswood. If you happen to be visiting in summer be aware that many vintage apartments still do not have decent air conditioning or even no AC at all. If you think sleeping in 80 degree heat with 80 percent humidity sounds like fun then you will be all set. Otherwise, make sure to inquire about AC.

As @azdr0710 mentioned, Chicago is a great city for walking. Also, it is a great city for eating and drinking.

As a suburban commuter, I used to work in the loop for several years, but haven't for the last 6 years. Then, the loop was very quiet in the evening after most office workers went home. However, some new apt./condos were being built at that time, so may a bit more lively in the evening now. West loop has a lot of new restaurants if your a foodie, and more have moved there. River North is where I usually stay when I miss the city and decide to stay for a few days because there is a choice of so many hotels at various price points. You can walk to the Bean from there, but if not a walker, cabs are plentiful (or were before the proliferation of Uber and Lyft), and not that expensive.

I also recommend getting into the varied ethnic bones of the city. Polish, Irish, Asian, Black, Czech, etc.

Chicago is thankfully still a city of very old, somewhat inclusive neighborhoods and along with that comes amazing food and interesting little nooks & crannies to explore.

I love a tasty Nook and a hot Cranny! And Chicago has plenty of Hot Men for that!

Printers Row, though small, is a nice place to stay. First, it is close to all the public transport (elevated and subway systems, that is). Those will get you to the various neighborhoods and are for the most part near the major bus lines. It has a couple of small hotels and you can get to many of the major museums on foot or take buses or Ls to those that are not within walking distance. You can also walk and see the most noteworthy architectural gems in the City, the Cultural Center, the massive downtown library, and many of the noteworthy theaters. Of course, it is within walking distance of the lake and you can walk or bike along Lakefront. It is just south of the Loop and most of the major businesses. Finally, it is a small neighborhood in its own right and contains shops and restaurants. As the south Loop is being built up, Printers Row is growing along with it.