Netflix's Queer Eye For The Straight Guy Reboot

LoveNDino
This topic is 1885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I usually like less-challenging fare to watch, when I am in bed and about to fall into dreamland. I've been watching this reboot and it's quire different in tone from its predecessor (it's heavier-handed), but I find myself touched all the same.

Antoni is charming and gorgeous (he can forego the "h" and have the 'i" instead of a "y," cause he's so gosh-darn cute)

screenshot-at-jan-24-22-10-43.png?w=540&h=636

Jonathan, of the Gay of Thrones-fame, is hilarious and unapologetically flamboyant. He is the new and much-improved Carson.

JVN_1.jpg

The other 3 hosts may still yet prove to be interesting...

It's worth to at least be played on your TV, while doing your laundry or lounging.

I expected it to be the same as the previous series and had low expectations, but eneded up loving most of it, especially episode 4, where its not a striaght guy but a donwlow black guy. if you remain dry-eyed during that episode you are stony hearted! I think all of the 5 guys are pretty hot, even the totally queeny one, who is actually very handsome. Antoni is the dreamiest, but I like the Pakistani guy and Karmano totally gorgeous.......

I thought this was waaaaay better than the previous season, and has more interesting developments, as its more about bringing introverts out, and also changing views, One episode is a super Christian guy, and the other a Trump supporting cop-so its actually quite interesting how the guys change their views on some things. I love the poor stand up comic, and the change they make to him!

I expected it to be the same as the previous series and had low expectations, but eneded up loving most of it, especially episode 4, where its not a striaght guy but a donwlow black guy. if you remain dry-eyed during that episode you are stony hearted! I think all of the 5 guys are pretty hot, even the totally queeny one, who is actually very handsome. Antoni is the dreamiest, but I like the Pakistani guy and Karmano totally gorgeous.......

I thought this was waaaaay better than the previous season, and has more interesting developments, as its more about bringing introverts out, and also changing views, One episode is a super Christian guy, and the other a Trump supporting cop-so its actually quite interesting how the guys change their views on some things. I love the poor stand up comic, and the change they make to him!

Same here...

Down Low Black Guy - He is a hottie...and I think the thirst that the 5 demonstrated was not just for the cameras. It was pretty real.

Evangelical Christian Guy - He was very nice, so it wasn't surprising.

Ex-marine cop - I loved it when they found the MAGA cap.

Didn't you like the firehouse episode? The one where there was that model-level good looking and very fit guy that Karamo kept calling Superman, and they kept making him take off his shirt. It was hilarious.

Same here...

Down Low Black Guy - He is a hottie...and I think the thirst that the 5 demonstrated was not just for the cameras. It was pretty real.

Evangelical Christian Guy - He was very nice, so it wasn't surprising.

Ex-marine cop - I loved it when they found the MAGA cap.

Didn't you like the firehouse episode? The one where there was that model-level good looking and very fit guy that Karamo kept calling Superman, and they kept making him take off his shirt. It was hilarious.

The firehouse episode was the least interesting for me-I like the ones where they help the more socially awkward guys come out of their shell, the firemen were all pretty handsome and confident to start with

Ah, AJ, epi 4. Yes! So nice. Loved it. My favorite so far. He was so handsome after the makeover, but even before, he was adorkable.

Good news1

From nymag.com

If you haven’t finished drying your eyes from the emotional closing scene of the Queer Eye reboot’s fourth episode, then don’t bother! Because the water works are going to start back up again when you hear the good news: the episode’s subject AJ is now engaged to his partner Andre. The couple has been officially congratulated by the Queer Eye Twitter feed. If you missed AJ’s episode, it ended with the Atlanta resident coming out to his stepmother. It starts with them weeping into each other’s arms about how much they miss his dad, with AJ then coming out to her by reading a letter he wrote to his father after his death. She touches his face. Smiles at him. Wraps him up as he sobs into her shoulder and says, “I’m always gonna be there for you.” It is simply one of the most heart-squeezing things that has happened in 2018. AJ even told his stepmom right there that he had a boyfriend, was very happy, and was even thinking about “possibly getting married.” Well, possibility has turned to party planning, with AJ and Andre bound for the altar. Start your Friday drinking early, and toast to the happy couple.

• 3 months later...

I just started checking out this show. It was pretty clear even from the first episode that they were following a formula and the encounters were contrived and semi-staged.

Does anyone really believe that the guys didn't know that they were going to be pulled over by the redneck cop's redneck cop friend in episode 3? Does anyone buy that Karamo was frightened and put off by this fake BLM moment, and that the conversation between him and the white cop was unscripted and spontaneous -- leading to Karamo's growth-moment?

Episode 4 with the straight-acting guy coming out was just annoying. I have doubts as to how real the story was. It makes me think that they hooked up one of their friends to get a makeover on the production company's budget -- "Just let your hair and beard grow for a couple weeks, dress kind of frumpy, throw your shit all over your gorgeous condo, and we'll come in and hook you up." They took a coming out story, one of the most difficult parts of most of our lives, and prettied it up with a guy who already had an active gay social life, a super-hot boyfriend, and <oh my gosh!> a hot body. I seriously doubt this guy was conflicted about coming out to his family and coworkers if he was ready to pose in leather for a TV show.

I don't recall watching any of the original shows. This one definitely appears to be more of a fictional TV drama. Even the Trading Spaces reboot seems more real.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

I've posted elsewhere on this subject (Friday Funnies, I think) without thinking to check in this forum. Another article, this time in a bit more detailed about the team's visit to Yass. The video in the article was in one of my earlier posts.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/06/yass-queens-queer-eye-cast-descend-on-rural-australian-town-for-mini-makeover

I've posted elsewhere on this subject (Friday Funnies, I think) without thinking to check in this forum. Another article, this time in a bit more detailed about the team's visit to Yass. The video in the article was in one of my earlier posts.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/06/yass-queens-queer-eye-cast-descend-on-rural-australian-town-for-mini-makeover

“I hope they’ll make him look a bit more suave, fix him up, make his tooth look better,” said Levi, a boilermaker...

If you are going for it, aim high.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching S2. I like the epi about the Burning Man dude.

SPOILER

There were no tears for once. That gets old. Plus the premise of this epi seemed a lot more unique to me, his situation and path he was on. A likeable guy too.

• 8 months later...