Brokeback Mountain

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6730 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NYTimes had a great piece by Frank Rich today re. BBM. He said `These are not Midnight Cowboys, drug store cowboys, or Village People cowboys` Heck, they aren`t even George Bush Cowboys.

He stated that the Plano Tx multiplex theatre sold more tickets to BBM than King Kong.

There is hope.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rod, did you notice that Brokeback Mountain (in limited release) is in the top 10 grossers for this past weekend?

Pretty remarkable considering it only opened in 69 theaters nation-wide.

(Yes, that's the actual number. SOMEbody had a sense of humor about it! LOL)

King Kong's numbers were a given considering it opened in nearly 2,000 theaters. For BM to be in the top 10 is remarkable.

Guest Tristan

I just came back from seeing a matinee at the art cinema in Ft. Lauderdale. I've never seen so many people at a weekday matinee here.

I am sad and somewhat numb. It was a beautiful, but tragic story. Thank goodness they showed the worst scene in flashback and not in real time. I think that would have been too much for me.

This film is truly ground breaking. It should get some Oscar nominations and, hopefully, win a few. I think it will affect both gay and str8 people in many ways. I read that even redneck types are going back to see it a second time. Haven't figured that one out.

I don't think I can say much more that has not already been said, especially about love that couldn't be realized. The following poetic lines express my feelings better than anything else I could write:

"... Of all sad words of tongue or pen,

The saddest are these: "It might have been!"

- John Greenleaf Whittier

Right On / RE: Brokeback Mountain

Yeah, I love it. The AFA protested the movie at the same time Ford Motors told them to fuck off. It was like slapping the AFA across the face one, twice, and then again. Screw that Don Wildmon prick.

Tell your friends about Brokeback Mountain. Buy it when it comes out on DVD. Hell, I am taking my mother for Christmas.

SAT, Dec 24 NYC: Brokeback Mountain

Who has time to see it with me? If there are no problems with the strike I want to join a crowd of people to see Brokeback and support gay cinema. Hell, come and hand out your headshots. I know a photographer right near Penn Station. Great guy.

Well, I am excited after getting in from the cold. Want to see Brokeback Mountain if the strike is over by Saturday, let me know. Five pm show near the AMC Theatre or in the lobby if it's showing there.

Email me at my nextboys.com mailbox. I check will check that first thing in the morning.

Well it is morning. I guess I will check it first thing when I wake up. Ciao, night, sleep well, sweet prince}(

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Are you kidding me?

Some actors learn the hard way; when there's no script, it's probably a good idea to keep the mouth shut if one cares about winning fans. This is not bad advice for superstar service providers, too. Banal, pugnacious opinions have a way of turning off potential customers.

Let me see...should I consider the opinions of almost every leading movie critic in the country or should I consider the opinion of rub-n-stroke Jake? Oh well, there went my date for that mighty fine massage I had been fantasizing about. I guess I won't be paying attention to Gene Shalit anymore, either.

I couldn't imagine having a gay (or straight) friend who wasn't deeply moved by Ang Lee's brilliant, sensitive interpretation of Annie Proulx's genius short story. Sounds to me like someone has a serious chip on his shoulder and he's really mad about something. Maybe he should try writing his own award-winning prose and getting that turned into a major motion picture. Anyone know Titan's number?

Sure, everyone has a right to an opinion. However, when you swim with your customers, you do swim at your own risk.

RE: Are you kidding me?

As you say, we all have a right to our opinions. The fact that Bigjake8 is a masseur does not mean that his is worth any less than anyone else's. It could hardly be worth less than Gene Shalit's, as Shalit is a terrible critic. And why does it matter what the critics say? You obviously loved Brokeback Mountain. If the critics had hated it, would you have changed your mind? You have a right to your opinion too. Just make sure it's your opinion and not someone else's. Try to be more independent in your thinking.

Archived