travel cash

m4same
This topic is 2303 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One is free to carry under US$10,000 in or out of the country without the need to declare it

This is true for the USA. If you’re traveling into or out of another country you should

check their laws. It’s extremely variable....especially if you’re visiting the 3rd world.

Most of Europe is around 10k Euro I believe.

Also, don’t forget that they count things that can easily be converted into cash.

Gold coins, travelers checks, personal checks....are all counted. I don’t know

if precious gems count...but I wouldn’t be suprised, especially unmounted ones.

Don’t forget, it’s the aggregate value....so $5,000 USD + 4,500 € is more than

$10,000 USD and must be reported.

You can bring in more....just make sure you delcare it, and be prepared to be

pulled aside for questioning. They don’t take kindly if you don’t report it and

you get caught. Feigning ignorance is a waste of time. The low level government

employee who catches you will think it’s insane that someone who has the means

to carry that much cash....would be ignorant of the law.....and won’t care regardless.

You signed a form on entry declaring you weren’t. You are. End of discussion.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you go out of the country for vacation, how much cash do you take? I'm going away for 2 weeks and planning on bringing $1,000-$1,500. Does that sound like a good plan?

FWIW...I use ATM's almost exclusively, but I am still a bit old school and routinely will take in excess of $5k for insurance. It gives me comfort, and yes...I am taking chances with carrying that much cash, but I've never had a problem, whereas on several occasions I found that the cash came in handy and helped solve problems. I carry the cash in a money belt and I've never been stopped or questioned regarding the money...ever.