He was 21 and fit. He tried to push through the flu — and it killed him.

LoveNDino
This topic is 2282 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Generally is it because by the time the infection is caught it has spread to far? Or that there are no antibiotics to cure the infection? I'm stupid as far as these things are concerned.

I'm not an expert. But my basic understanding is that once you have sepsis - i.e. blood poisoning - it spreads quickly, and you need urgent treatment. I think the idea is that a localized infection (e.g. a bacterial infection) does not spread easily or quickly, but once it is flowing through your body the entire body, like your vital organs, start to shut down. Once that starts to happen it is game over pretty quick.

Again, I'm not an expert. But I think that's in the ballpark of correct. Any medical professionals please chime in.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten a flu vaccine every year since my mid-30's after a nasty bout.

I had always known that, because of the way the expected strains are projected, the effectiveness was nowhere near 100%. But I never knew until seeing this just how variable that effectiveness was:

seasonal-flu-vaccine-effeciveness.jpg

Source

Edited by Keith30309

Theres some pretty accurate info on here.

• I work in healthcare. Did a ton of work with Peds, so very in tune with vaccines. Anti-vaxxers make me crazy. If I had Harry Potter's wand, I'd magically transfer every sick child's avoidable illness to his parent.
  • Vaccine effectiveness does vary year to year. One of those info items with mixed reasons for sharing... never want to dissuade vaccination.
  • I also wait until at least late September to get my flu shot, due to max effectiveness period. But its not as if shot receivers are suddenly unprotected at the 5-6 month mark.
  • Airplanes are petri dishes. There is a series of anectodal stories from frequent travelers who rarely get sick. They report that they hold their breath for a bit after passengers nearby sneeze or cough. And refrain from touching their face, especially runbing eyes. I will share that here in SF Bay, I made an effort to never rub my eyes on BART.
  • Real handwashing is the best preventive. Quick splashes at the public bathroom sink is probably worse than not washing at all. If not using soap and hot water, kinda pointless. Given my career, always been shocked when physicians dont wash their hands when leaving public restrooms.

I was raised that flu symptoms meant bed rest, fluids, aspirin. Nowadays, probably Tylenol or an NSAID. Never bother calling the doctor for the flu. We know that antibiotics are making for drug resistant germs/bacteria. I wonder if anti-virals are doing the same... and about the long term effects of drugs like Tamiflu.

Years ago this is in fact what my doctor told me. He said that when you are dressed, the only entrance into the body is on your face, (eyes, ears, nose and mouth) so don't touch your face...except when your hands are sanitized and only when necessary. Drink far more water in the winter than in the summer to stay hydrated and to keep the immune system up, concentrate on more sleep, a healthy diet and drink better liquor...OK, I added the liquor part :p but you get where I'm going.

Personally, I'm fascinated by the word choices medical professionals make in the best interests of the general public.

Someone once told me that the masks people wear are not effective because they stop people from inhaling virus particles, but because they stop people from putting their fingers in their own mouth and nose. :eek:

Regarding hydration, my understanding is the issue is not that people actually need more water when it's cold, the issue is that people unconsciously consume less water in the cold, because they don't have an experience of perspiring as much. But what they are not taking into account is they are likely losing more water though exhalation due to the reduced humidity of the air they are breathing. So they drink less and get dehydrated.

To make sure I don't inadvertently get dehydrated, I set out a fixed amount of water to drink each day (4 liters, almost exactly 1 gallon, 128 ounces). One has to be careful not to drink too much too fast, not more than .5 liter per hour should be the top end, to avoid possible water intoxication. I pace it out to .5 liter per 2 hours.

And don't get me started on how insane general American attitudes toward sleep are. It's said if you have to routinely use an alarm to wake up in time and that alarm is always at the same time, you are sleep deprived.

Edited by oldNbusted

Personally, I'm fascinated by the word choices medical professionals make in the best interests of the general public.

Makes me chuckle. I remember when the hospital quality assurance administrator, who oversaw the infection control department (among others), announced in a meeting that the only reason they use an alcohol wipe before drawing blood or giving a shot is tradition. The efficacy of stopping and extraordinarily unlikely infection at the site with a quick swab is almost nil. She specifically said "you could spit on the site and wipe it up, and it would be just as effective."

Doctors wear those surgical booties because they don't want to get their shoes dirty. Anything beneath the surgical table is out of the sterile field. It has nothing to do with sterility or infection control in surgery. I think that these days, most have converted to wearing clogs anyway, as those are better for posture.

The hydration advice is well founded, but depends on region. I grew up in the midwest. When the furnace went on, the house dried out. Dry house, and cold outside air, your mucus membranes dry out. They're a vital part of the immune system. Most furnaces in the region have humidifiers. However, here in CA, unless immediately adjacent the coast, the summers are drier. We don't need humidifiers in the winter, as that is (supposed to be) the rainy season.

Not rubbing your eyes is excellent advice. As noted above, they are pathways into the system.

I wonder if any public health officials, or CDC, have swabbed cell phones. Swipe right, take a bite of your food. Tap here, rub your eye.

Edited by LaffingBear

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first flu I've gotten in probably forever. I don't do the flu shot. If it doesnt have at least 80% accuracy I'm not doing it. The technology used is very outdated and ineffective. Shoot the virus into a chicken egg? Wtf is this witch dr voodoo? These researchers need to start bringing their Asain A game. The flu shot is maybe 30% effective this year and has hit every state but Hawaii. Will I get the flu shot next year since I got the flu after returning from DC this year? Nope. I'm chalking this up as a fluke. I will just be more careful and make sure to wash my hands and not touch my face as often.

Hugs,

Greg

Steven Kessler..... Everything you have said about sepsis is correct. I was admitted the first of December to hospital with extreme sepsis due in the end to internal MRSA infection. Two surgeries and three weeks later (after 3 IV antibiotic bags a day) I was released. Doctors say I was very very lucky considering the condition i came to the hospital in. I remember very little about the first week in the hospital. Now 7 weeks later, still going for wound care to heal the surgery site and had a wound vac on for 5 weeks. I have NO energy and can only do minimal chores without getting tired. Washing and changing the sheets on my bed is a major chore. My doctor says to expect this to persist for a few months due to the toxicity of my body when admitted. All I can say is GO to your doctor if you aren't feeling well, don't take chances.

• 2 weeks later...