Trouble since Microsoft Fall update

Archer
This topic is 2330 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hopefully, some super technology guy (or gal) can help me with this. I've tried the suggestions from the CNET discussion group without success, so I thought someone here might be able to help.

Ever since the Microsoft Fall update installed, I have had a problem with my laptop suddenly turning off. It doesn't go through a regular shutdown. It just shuts off, then reboots. The reboot takes almost 10 minutes. I bought this laptop new last December. At first, the shutdown seemed random; then I realized that it's happening every Thursday and Sunday at 8AM. If I start up after 8AM, no problems. This is just goofy. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?

Thanks,

Archer

• 2 weeks later...

That almost sounds like a CPU overheating problem. Most modern CPUs automatically turn the machine off if the CPU overheats (such as when the CPU cooling fan fails).

There are commonly reported situations where a computer goes into perpetual reboot mode but that doesn't sound like your situation.