Is 9 PM too late to call someone?

This topic is 2337 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

9 PM seems a little late for me for a business call unless he had hours posted that included 9 PM. On the other hand, if it were an emergency and you definitely needed him for the following day,

that would have been my limit of the time to call.

Some times living arrangements of even close friends change. I remember calling a friend about 9:30 PM; he was already in bed with a new woman.

I remember thinking "a mistake I will never make again with anyone."

The friend could have had a woman in bed with him at 7:30 PM too. So that doesn’t seem to me like a workable rule. When I had friends -unfortunately I don’t really right now -my limit was usually 10 PM unless it was an emergency or I knew they stayed up late and wouldn’t mind a call.

But there is something else to consider. While I don’t mind talking on landlines or VOIP with ‘big phones’, I hate extended conversations on cell phones. I think there is a subtle delay. That combined with trouble hearing, and dropped words make me really hate conversations on cell phone.

Gman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought smartphones and stopped worrying about late calls.

• My work phone goes to VM after 6pm.

• My personal phone always goes to VM unless the caller is white-listed (in contacts). My friends know to text or leave a message.

• A couple of numbers are red-listed (my daughter, alarm service). They ring even when my phone is muted.

If your computer guy hasn't figured this stuff out, he doesn't deserve your business. ;)

• My personal phone always goes to VM unless the caller is white-listed (in contacts). My friends know to text or leave a message.

• A couple of numbers are red-listed (my daughter, alarm service). They ring even when my phone is muted.

Can you elaborate on how you are doing this? Are you using the iPhone "do not disturb" function and adding your red listed contacts to a specific group? I assume it treats calls and texts in the same way.

Do you happen to know how it works if someone is contacting you via WhatsApp?

Can you elaborate on how you are doing this? Are you using the iPhone "do not disturb" function and adding your red listed contacts to a specific group? I assume it treats calls and texts in the same way.

On an iPhone at least some of this could be accomplished with the Do Not Disturb Feature.

Gman

I suspect the volcano was ready to blow before you called, and you just triggered it. He probably kept up the the rant because it was too uncomfortable for him to admit that the displacement of his anger was inappropriate.

However, 9pm does seem late to me for a non-emergency business call.

You're probably right. That being said, I use my handyman once or twice a year. He also works from home, and I usually call him in the evening to find out when he's available. That actually works out better for him; I'm not interrupting his work when I call. It makes it easier for everyone. I'm not trying to call or play phone tag with a bunch of patients waiting, he's not trying to answer the phone for a simple scheduling issue when he's working. I actually visited him in the hospital last year, after he got into an accident. If the computer dude didn't want to discuss business at 9 PM, that's fine, but I don't see why he couldn't have been polite about it. I suppose he could have been having sex (though he lives alone and is quite unattractive), but no way I could predict that. I just turn my ringer off when I'm having sex, so I don't get interrupted. Presumably he knows how to do that.

I suspect the volcano was ready to blow before you called, and you just triggered it. He probably kept up the the rant because it was too uncomfortable for him to admit that the displacement of his anger was inappropriate.

However, 9pm does seem late to me for a non-emergency business call.

Exactly!

Too much baggage!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/2055428/cher-lloyd-carrying-suitcase-o.gif

On an iPhone at least some of this could be accomplished with the Do Not Disturb Feature.

Gman

Yeah during the week, I get up super early, and go to bed early relative to the time I have to rise. I have the “Do Not Disturb” Feature on my iPhone set for between 8pm and 5am. I tell people fine with anyone calling and texting any time of the night - I just receive it when I wake up if I’m asleep (unsure if everyone appreciates my 5:30am text replies though :D)

My phone is setup with “do not disturb” at the times which I don’t like getting called or being awaken, and setup with exceptions for certain people.

Problem solved.

If you don’t want calls after a certain time, there are now ways to avoid them completely without confronting people and telling them it is rude.

I bought smartphones and stopped worrying about late calls.

• My work phone goes to VM after 6pm.

If your computer guy hasn't figured this stuff out, he doesn't deserve your business. ;)

EXACTLY. Most people in my circle are small-business operators or freelancers and they all have thoughtful/specific strategies for screening client (and potential client) calls during and beyond business hours. None put the burden on the client to intuit what's in/appropriate.

I'm on android 8.10. Mostly it seems to learn my preferences on its own. But I tweak it using the "do not disturb" feature and prioritizing individuals in my "contacts". I assume the iPhone has similar options.

I don't use WhatsApp.

People call me on weekends, and sometimes very late in the evening. If I don't feel like answering, I just let the phone ring. They nearly always leave vmail.

I think RudyNate has it right. If he didn't want to talk to customers, he shouldn't be picking up his business line.

(Assuming he has a separate phone for business, or is able to see on his only phone whether the person calling is friend or client.)

Personally, I don't call anyone after 9 p.m. unless I know they are available to me at that hour. If I know they are not, I might only call if I need to leave a message for them to get that night or the next morning. So, to me, 9:00 p.m. is too late.

Yeah during the week, I get up super early, and go to bed early relative to the time I have to rise. I have the “Do Not Disturb” Feature on my iPhone set for between 8pm and 5am. I tell people fine with anyone calling and texting any time of the night - I just receive it when I wake up if I’m asleep (unsure if everyone appreciates my 5:30am text replies though :D)

If their iPhones aren't off/silent while they sleep (and you text them at 5:30AM) is their fault that you woke them up.