Reading on my IPad

foxy
This topic is 2352 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just finished reading The Vanity Fair Diaries 1983-1992 by Tina Brown. What I find fun about reading on my iPad (kindle) is being able to stop and Google names to refresh my memory. It also brings me to other kindle books like the Bob Colacello book “Holy Terror”about Andy Warhol and “Them”about Alex Lieberman by his daughter Francine du Plessix Gray. It’s like like peeling an onion. One layer leads to another. Much as I love hard cover books there’s a lot to be said for having the urge to read another book and have it instantly on your iPad.

Edited by foxy

I just finished reading The Vanity Fair Diaries 1983-1992 by Tina Brown. What I find fun about reading on my iPad (kindle) is being able to stop and Google names to refresh my memory. It also brings me to other kindle books like the Bob Colacello book “Holy Terror”about Andy Warhol and “Them”about Alex Lieberman by his daughter Francine du Plessix Gray. It’s like like peeling an onion. One layer leads to another. Much as I love love hard cover books there’s a lot to be said for having the urge to read another book and have it instantly on your iPad.

You make a good point. I have a proclivity for the Kindle app overall, for the same reasons. While I am attached to physical books, my Kindle device, Kindle Cloud, as well as the Kindle for Ipad, the latter folds in the features of the best readers and adds value to your experience. Especially, if you truly enjoy turning your reading experience into the a thesis experience. You can see the parallel between author and content. My favorite feature is the dictionary. I am curious about the etymology of specific words. Helpful intel for the crosswords.

I do not think it will ever replace the assortment of books I keep on my desk for ADD reading. I read a few selections at a time. I also enjoy the Zinio app for periodicals.

Thanks for starting this thread @foxy

And when you finish a book you don’t have to keep or dispose of a physical copy. In the last few years I’ve had to get rid of about 1,000 hard cover books. Libraries don’t want them anymore. It seems most of the people I know don’t read actual books and don’t want them. I love holding a book in my hands and turning pages but I’ve found myself adapting out of necessity.

And when you finish a book you don’t have to keep or dispose of a physical copy. In the last few years I’ve had to get rid of about 1,000 hard cover books. Libraries don’t want them anymore. It seems most of the people I know don’t read actual books and don’t want them. I love holding a book in my hands and turning pages but I’ve found myself adapting out of necessity.

Early adopters rule the world.

Nope.

I gave up my VCR, my Walkman, my turntable, the ipod; was the last of my family & friends to get a computer & a cell phone.

BUT I will not give up books. A good book is a drug to me, an addiction, a door to another world. I've been passionate about books since I was first able to hold one on my own. Hardbacks are still my preference. One of my favorite childhood memories was my mom taking me to the public library on our way to my brothers' baseball games so I could sit in the stands and read till the games were over. Sharing the joy of books with children is a simple pleasure, pausing before turning the page, building anticipation... I love seeing kids with books in their hands.

Lying on the beach reading a hardback can be awkward, uncomfortable at times, but I won't give it up till I physically have to.

Bookstores & libraries....I hope at least a few outlast me.