World Series

LoneStar
This topic is 6763 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It rained here yesterday and today. Hard. It's the kind of storm SoCal rarely gets AT ALL, much less this early in the season. My boss walked into the office this morning and said "Jeez, I guess the White Sox really ARE in the World Series!" ;-)

It's just good to see World Series play returning to Chicago. Wrong team :-( but it's still good to see. That town will go nuts if the Sox win.

Someone told me there was a fan interference issue in one of the NL games where a fan reached for a not-yet-foul ball. THE CUBS WERE NOT INVOLVED!

The White Sox beat the you know what out of the Red Sox... Of course they probably could not have done it (at least not as easily) if the "ever astute" Mr. Steinbrenner hadn't given up a couple of quality pitchers...

Nonetheless, as a life long Yankee fan I say GO WHITE SOX...

Sox in five sounds about right to me... especially if it's against Houston, possibly in four if versus St. Louis.

That's assuming the Astros make it, isn't it. After blowing it in the 9th inning last night, I have my doubts.

Anyway, I pick the White Sox 4-2 if against the Cardinals and 4-3 if against the Astros, simply because the Astros have better pitching than the Cardinals.

The Astros should still win the NLCS, but Albert Pujols' three run home run will be replayed for years to come. When the count to David Eckstein reached two strikes, with two out and no one on base in the top of the ninth, no one could have predicted that outcome. The ESPN radio announcer said tonight on MSNBC that the crowd was so quiet the only sign that something had happened was Pujols running the bases. For a moment the announced thought he had dreamed tthe whole inning.

Sorry that George and Barbara Bush had to go home empty handed.

So are you saying that they are going to pit the two best teams in the whole world against each other in a series? Cool! I think I will root for Taiwan, but some of those Central and Southern American teams might give them a good fight!

Oh...world as in our world...okay, then I root for the team with the cutest players! Oh, the Yankess didn't make it. Then I'll root for Houston. Oh, they're Bush's favorite team? Then I will root for a midwestern team! Is St. Louis in a red state?

Andy Pettit with that scruff beard appeared kind of weird after seeing him clean shaven (as per Mr. Steinbrenner’s orders) all those years with the Yankees…(though when with the Yanks he often did try to go beyond the one day or so growth limit)… but still the perception was… this cute puppy dog of a guy is trying to somehow look tough and intimidating to the opposition… Yet he seems to have perfected what I call “the look” which he began developing during his Yankee days... as he glared out at the batter over his glove…

RE: Advice to Astros

Should be a great series, as whoever wins, there will be no losers!

First series ever for the Astros (on their 40th anniversary), and first series for the White Sox since 1959! I love baseball, as it is definitely my favorite sport! Seems to be a different champion every year, which is good for the game and good for the fans of the game!

Whoohooo more hot visuals of the stud Pettite! Not to mention the recently bearded Berkman for the Astros (damn he is hot with that scruff!). Sure hope that the Astros, don't buy those blades. Reminds me a tad of the old A's teams from the early 70's with their long hair, mustaches and beards.

I don't care who wins, but I will still go with the White Sox over the Astros, 4-3. This imo, is the most interesting Series matchup in a long, long time!

Agree, Hawk. It's gonna be a helluva series.

I still pine for a Cubs/Red Sox series. My grandad was a groundskeeper at the last one. But it didn't happen in my Dad's lifetime, and it likely won't happen in mine. :-(

I just hope the Series isn't as marred with questionable officiating as BOTH league championships were. Granted, in baseball you're a fool if you think one call will win (or lose) the game. If you put yourself in a position to win (or lose) the game on one call, you haven't played the game very well. But still, I'd like to see clean wins.

But it's gonna be fun. I wish I could be in Chicago for the opening games. That town will be going frigging nuts!

I have not been this excited about a World Series, since Detroit (who was my favorite team in high school) beat St. Louis in the 1968 World Series. I hope this series, like that one, goes the full 7 games.

The White Sox were awesome against the Angels, and had 4 pitchers throw complete games for wins in the post season, for the first time since the 1956 Yankees.

This is an awesome matchup, with those ChiSox pitchers against the Astros starting rotation of Clemens (mediocre so far, in the post season, which doesn't mean much, as Clemens is the MAN!), Pettite and Oswalt!

Damn! Start the Series already! I'm excited! :7 I'll be satisfied no matter who wins, but, I'm kind of rooting for the Sox.

"I still pine for a Cubs/Red Sox series. My grandad was a groundskeeper at the last one."

Wasn't that the Cubs last appearance in the World Series? When was that, 1945? or somewhere around that time? Anyway, before either of us was born! :7

That's the one.

Like I said, I don't expect to see it in my lifetime but hope springs eternal.

Pitching is going to be the big story on both sides in this series. The games will likely be like watching grass grow because the pitchers will keep the hitters shut down. But EVERY small mistake is going to cause magic, as we only see in baseball.

Weather could be an issue. I remember a Cubs/Astros game at Wrigley (in SEPTEMBER!) where the weather was perfect at gametime. By the 4th inning, it started snowing just as the Astros were taking the field. Those southern boys looked up at the sky like "What the FUCK?????" :+

It's going to be fun.

Actually, you should check the scorecard, deej, which is what I did, after realizing that the Red Sox won for the first time last year since 1918. 1945 was the last time the Cubs were in the World Series, when they lost to the Detroit Tigers 4-3. But the Red Sox did beat the Cubs way back in 1918, 4-2, so maybe that is the series that you were referring to, as far as your grandfather goes, which would make sense. I apologize for steering you wrong! :7

Archived