Patron writes anti-gay message on restaurant receipt - then the server got fired

Avalon
This topic is 2380 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is unclear if the server took his job back."

I didn’t say he TOOK the job. You said “boycotts and demonstrations”. The restaurant stepped back, admitted they acted hastily, and offered him his job back...all in the original article you posted.

So why boycotts and demonstrations? Because the employee posted private credit card recipeiots? Or?

I didn’t say he TOOK the job. You said “boycotts and demonstrations”. The restaurant stepped back, admitted they acted hastily, and offered him his job back...all in the original article you posted.

So why boycotts and demonstrations? Because the employee posted private credit card recipeiots? Or?

Maybe I was a rush to judgement. But the restaurant was wrong to have fired him. That was discrimination based upon sexual orientation. That is not just morally wrong but illegal.

I am just so sick and tired of all the homophobia that still exists especially here in the USA!

Maybe I was a rush to judgement. But the restaurant was wrong to have fired him. That was discrimination based upon sexual orientation. That is not just morally wrong but illegal.

I am just so sick and tired of all the homophobia that still exists especially here in the USA!

This is why he was fired, please read the article, and check up on credit card privacy businesses need to adhere to. Google “PCI compliance”, etc. Server was wrong to post the receipt and was fired for posting it.

“The server posted the receipt online and that’s when things took another downward turn. Hickory Tavern confirmed to the Charlotte Observer they let the server go following this incident.

‘We … value the privacy of our patrons, and posting of credit card receipts violates our confidentiality policy,’ the said in a statement, explaining the reasoning for the server’s termination.”

This is why he was fired, please read the article, and check up on credit card privacy businesses need to adhere to. Google “PCI compliance”, etc. Server was wrong to post the receipt and was fired for posting it.

“The server posted the receipt online and that’s when things took another downward turn. Hickory Tavern confirmed to the Charlotte Observer they let the server go following this incident.

‘We … value the privacy of our patrons, and posting of credit card receipts violates our confidentiality policy,’ the said in a statement, explaining the reasoning for the server’s termination.”

Thanks for pointing that out to me; I had read too quickly.

I’m always skeptical of these situations because on numerous occasions it has later been revealed that the “victim” actually wrote the note themselves. Not saying that’s the case here but it’s prudent not to jump to conclusions. But these days it seems the rush to judgement before knowing the true facts is all the rage.

Are you fully versed in the laws of the state of North Carolina? Unfortunate but true that there are still too many states where gays can be fired, denied housing, etc etc.

Are you fully versed in the laws of the state of North Carolina? Unfortunate but true that there are still too many states where gays can be fired, denied housing, etc etc.

I thought under federal law that gays were a protected minority like race and gender. I see from your post that I was wrong.

I thought under federal law that gays were a protected minority like race and gender. I see from your post that I was wrong.

Forgive me for the way in which this will sound like a condemnation but it baffles my mind that anyone can be so ignorant of the ongoing struggles members of the LGBT community face every day.

I pause to wonder about your personal space and how your circumstances color your perception.

I don’t see any customer data.

Customer name and last four of the card number are considered customer data. Even if he obfuscated it, at virtually every company releasing an internal record, such as a receipt, outside of the company is grounds for dismissal. If this guy is comfortable with taking a photo of a receipt and posting it online I wonder whether he would stop there or would he be equally comfortable taking a photo of the front and back of a credit card belonging to a difficult patron.

Customer name and last four of the card number are considered customer data. Even if he obfuscated it, at virtually every company releasing an internal record, such as a receipt, outside of the company is grounds for dismissal. If this guy is comfortable with taking a photo of a receipt and posting it online I wonder whether he would stop there or would he be equally comfortable taking a photo of the front and back of a credit card belonging to a difficult patron.

Please, just stop with the “what if’s”

There is no discernible private customer data revealed in the posted photo.

There have been many examples of this sort of thing in this age of Instagram etc. There are also examples of posting receipts in which a customer does a good deed such as a extraordinarily generous tip as a means of helping someone in need. No one complains about “data” in those cases.

Forgive me for the way in which this will sound like a condemnation but it baffles my mind that anyone can be so ignorant of the ongoing struggles members of the LGBT community face every day.

I pause to wonder about your personal space and how your circumstances color your perception.

I know there is still discrimination. And although sadly it still happens I thought it was illegal.