Do You Wear Aftershave Lotion?

Avalon
This topic is 2284 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, i am surprised by the responses. Honestly thought more guys would wear a fragrance (in some form.) Sounds like many do not. Dont consider myself sophisticated, but I have a fragrance for each season, for example in the hot summer months I wear something with a fresh, clean, “fabric softner” like scent.

Interesting thing is that most guys I meet wear too much of the stuff, which ruins the effect. In my view it is supposed to be subtle, not overpowering. Just my 2c...

Not for over 20 years. Forbidden in most workplaces now!

Kipp

I stopped wearing cologne at about the same time when one of my employees was allergic to scents; now I almost consider it an intrusion into my space when someone comes into the office heavily-scented!

I have to admit, i am surprised by the responses. Honestly thought more guys would wear a fragrance (in some form.) Sounds like many do not. Dont consider myself sophisticated, but I have a fragrance for each season.

In some locales, wearing fragrance is considered sort of yesterday and unsophisticated. For example, here in San Francisco, of somebody wearing cologne, people might say, "He wears COLOGNE," the subtext being "OMG, that's so out of it!" It's considered sort of fussy and something out of the heartland.

I stopped wearing cologne at about the same time when one of my employees was allergic to scents; now I almost consider it an intrusion into my space when someone comes into the office heavily-scented!

It's even considered uncool and unprofessional for a woman to show up for work with a lot of fragrance on.

For the most part I like to rely on the clean scent of a nice body wash. That being said I remember seeing a masseur that would wear cologne and remember thinking it was kind of nice like he had gotten ready for a date. I guess I would have felt differently if it was a scent I didn't care for or I felt it was to mask an unclean situation.

In some locales, wearing fragrance is considered sort of yesterday and unsophisticated. For example, here in San Francisco, of somebody wearing cologne, people might say, "He wears COLOGNE," the subtext being "OMG, that's so out of it!" It's considered sort of fussy and something out of the heartland.

Well label me ‘old fashioned’! :D

I love how everyone judges others on their personal choices. My only objection to cologne is if it is a tobacco based scent such as Patchouli. Also anyone with any sense of care about others does not dowse in a scent. It is meant to be subtle and almost not there. When did it become mandatory to follow or even give a ---- about what others think? Of course speaking for San Francisco as a whole seems a bit too much!

Well label me ‘old fashioned’! :D

I grew up in the northeast and I have spent nearly my entire adult life in the western US. In the late 80s, I spent a couple years in Rochester, where I grew up. I was surprised to notice that it was common among gay guys to use fragrance of some sort. I did also notice that they tended to have a disconcerting preoccupation with designer labels.

Of course speaking for San Francisco as a whole seems a bit too much!

Generalizations, pushed to their limit, nearly always break down. Nonetheless, even with their limitations, they are useful descriptive tools.

The problem with colognes/perfumes/toilet waters is that it isn't just a question fashion and style and personal preference. As someone noted upthread, many find it to be presumptious and an impermissible invasion of their personal space. And there are health issues. Men's fragrances aren't a problem typically, because of their subtlety and because the wearers don't necessarily want to use so much that their fragrance precedes them as they enter a room, but when I'm in close proximity to a woman who has doused herself, I start sneezing, and that's a common complaint. It isn't just out of PC that strong fragrances aren't permitted in most workplaces - there are genuine health issues and employers find them an unacceptable distraction.

Men's fragrances aren't a problem typically, because of their subtlety and because the wearers don't necessarily want to use so much that their fragrance precedes them as they enter a room, .....

Unless of course you are a 15 to 16 year old male going on a date. :p

Gman