James Levine - it's about time

sutherland
This topic is 2265 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, the "rumors" are true and another brilliant career is gone. Used to see James at the infamous Rounds bar back in the day...

Metropolitan Opera conductor James Levine facing sexual misconduct probe

By Tom Hays, Verena Dobnik | Associated Press

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/entertainment/2017/12/03/metropolitan-opera-conductor-james-levine-facing-sexual-misconduct-probe/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1512286474980.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top-image

Music director James Levine conducts the Boston Symphony Orchestra on its opening night at Tanglewood in Lenox., Mass., July 7, 2006. (Associated Press)

NEW YORK – New York's Metropolitan Opera said Saturday it will open an investigation into allegations that its longtime conductor, James Levine, sexually abused a man three decades ago beginning when the man was a teenager.

Levine's accuser, now middle-aged, contacted the police department in Lake Forest, Illinois, in October of 2016 to report that he'd had sexual contact with the conductor when he was under age 18.

He said he was reaching out to police in Lake Forest because some of his encounters with Levine took place there in the mid-1980s. Levine served as music director at the Ravinia Festival, outside Chicago, from 1973 to 1993.

Details of the police report were first reported Saturday on the website of the New York Post. Met officials said they learned of the police report last year.

"This first came to the Met's attention when the Illinois police investigation was opened in October 2016," the Met said in a statement. "At the time, Mr. Levine said that the charges were completely false, and we relied upon the further investigation of the police. We need to determine if these charges are true and, if they are, take appropriate action. We'll now be conducting our own investigation with outside resources."

"We need to determine if these charges are true and, if they are, take appropriate action."

- Metropolitan Opera statement

An email to Levine's manager seeking comment on the accusations was not immediately returned.

The accuser, whose name is being withheld by The Associated Press, contacted reporters from several news organizations and posted a handful of items on social media accusing Levine of abusing him when he was young.

The Lake Forest department assigned a detective who spent at least seven months investigating the allegations, according to a redacted copy of her written reports on the case.

The accuser, who at the time was hoping for a career in music, told police the conductor had invited him to audition for him in New York and then encouraged him to engage in sexual "experimentation."

He also said that his relationship with Levine extended well into adulthood and that the composer gave him money over the years when he was having financial problems, amounting to more than $50,000.

The man told police he last spoke with Levine in 2014. At the time, he said, Levine said he wouldn't send him money anymore.

The Associated Press does not generally name alleged victims of sexual abuse without their consent. In this case, the man asked that his name not be published and declined to be interviewed on the record.

The accusations against Levine, among the most prominent classical music conductors in the world, are the latest in a stream of sexual misconduct charges involving high-profile men in entertainment and the media that have rocked the nation since accusations against film mogul Harvey Weinstein were reported in October.

Levine served as music director of the Met from 1976 to 2016, when he assumed the position of music director emeritus.

Levine has struggled with health problems including Parkinson's disease in recent years but is scheduled to conduct several productions this season.

Since he is pretty much retired at this point in his life

Levine is scheduled to conduct about 14 performance of "Tosca' from Dec. 31 through May 12. I have a ticket for one of the May performances with Anna Netrebko.

And Levine has conducted performances at the Met this fall.

Insiders at the Met have gossiped for years about the number of times Levine had to be bailed out of trouble for approaching black teenagers in men's rooms. Since he is pretty much retired at this point in his life, this story is not likely to have much effect on his ultimate reputation.

Back in the 80's, I corresponded for a while with one of the male dancers in the MET ballet corp. He told me it was well known by most of TPTB at the MET that Mr. Levine often took "protégé's" under his wing. He indicated that, in order to keep the MET out of the news and away from scandal, they often paid the parents of these young, sometimes underage, abuse victims. I recall headlines (back in the 90's ?) of him getting in very hot water for accosting a young man in a Lincoln Center restroom.

As @Charlie says, insiders have gossiped about it for years, yet Levine always seemed able to buy the silence of most of his victims. I agree that because of his health, being fully confined to a wheelchair, most likely his ability to abuse is pretty well behind him now. I guess we'll see if this particular victim is finally able to get him brought to justice.

TruHart1 :cool:

I agree that because of his health, being fully confined to a wheelchair, most likely his ability to abuse is pretty well behind him now

Since Levine is still able to conduct operas and symphonies at the Met, even with long-time Parkinson's, you can not rule sex out.

An open secret at the Met for almost 40 years. Funny that the Met now says it will conduct an investigation. Gee, wonder where they should start? They spent a great deal of time and money scrambling to cover it up. Jimmy used to rent a house in the Pines and was often seen in the company of his house guests--always Black young men or boys. I heard confirmation of the rumors back in the mid 1980s from a well placed Met insider (now deceased) that the Met always had a replacement ready if the shit ever hit the fan.

The thing that puzzles me about his Illinois accuser is how do you engage in a relationship with a man for 30 years and accept gifts of $50,000 and then claim "abuse". Was there not, at some point, a transition from victim to volunteer. Did he not stop being a minor shortly after their relationship began? Was he not expecting help with his career in exchange for his interactions with a prominent Conductor and Music Director. Does it not strike anyone as convenient that his allegations arise only after the payments stop?

While Mr. Levine's proclivities have been long discussed ( I was first made aware of them by a Composer in 1973) this particular case strikes me as odd.

The thing that puzzles me about his Illinois accuser is how do you engage in a relationship with a man for 30 years and accept gifts of $50,000 and then claim "abuse". Was there not, at some point, a transition from victim to volunteer. Did he not stop being a minor shortly after their relationship began? Was he not expecting help with his career in exchange for his interactions with a prominent Conductor and Music Director. Does it not strike anyone as convenient that his allegations arise only after the payments stop?

While Mr. Levine's proclivities have been long discussed ( I was first made aware of them by a Composer in 1973) this particular case strikes me as odd.

I somewhat agree with you but the article mentions that the accuser was under the age of 18 when it started. And, if that’s true, Mr. Levine was a predator.

04LEVINE2-master675.jpg

Ashok Pai on Sunday. He accused Mr. Levine of sexually abusing

him for years, starting when Mr. Pai was 16. Credit Karsten Moran for The New York Times

“I don’t know why it was so traumatic,” Mr. Brown, who is now 66, said in a recent interview at his home in St. Paul, Minn., fighting tears at the memory, which said he was moved to share as part of the national reckoning over sexual misconduct. “I don’t know why I got so depressed. But it has to be because of what happened. And I care deeply for those who were also abused, all the people who were in that situation.”

Met Opera Suspends James Levine after New Sexual Abuse Allegation

New York Times, December 3, 2017

“I don’t know why it was so traumatic,” Mr. Brown, who is now 66, said in a recent interview at his home in St. Paul, Minn., fighting tears at the memory, which said he was moved to share as part of the national reckoning over sexual misconduct. “I don’t know why I got so depressed. But it has to be because of what happened. And I care deeply for those who were also abused, all the people who were in that situation.”

What happens if after all of this exposure his depression still doesn't go away? Not to make light of the situation at all, but revealing this information may not be the magic pill that he seems to think it is. And now, ladies and gentlemen, another career down the tubes.

What happens if after all of this exposure his depression still doesn't go away? Not to make light of the situation at all, but revealing this information may not be the magic pill that he seems to think it is. And now, ladies and gentlemen, another career down the tubes.

Levine is very, very lucky too last this long. And there are several accuser, not just one. Read update in December 4, New York Times

04LEVINE2-master675.jpg

Ashok Pai on Sunday. He accused Mr. Levine of sexually abusing

him for years, starting when Mr. Pai was 16. Credit Karsten Moran for The New York Times

Met Opera Suspends James Levine after New Sexual Abuse Allegation

New York Times, December 3, 2017

I could have sworn that Levine had been in the headlines for this sort of thing before.

Am I imagining that?

Here is the entire NY Times article. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/arts/music/james-levine-met-opera.html In 1979 an unsigned letter was received and the accusations in it were addressed by the then MET general manager, Anthony Bliss, but the investigation, though in the headlines at the time, never led to any proof that Levine was guilty. I guess it took all the power players today being outed as sexual predators for the Bass player and Cellist to gain enough courage to come forth with their accusations, which sound very creepy and predatory. Mr. Pai's case is somewhat different since he let himself get very close to Levine and had an ongoing relationship with him, though since Pai was under the age of consent (only 16 years old!) at the beginning of the relationship, Levine was breaking the law. Not to defend Levine in any way but there have been some very famous consensual lifetime love affairs (see Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy) between an older man and a younger man who fell in love and stayed with each other for life.

I had heard rumors myself for many years so I'm not surprised by this (although going all the way back to 1967 or '68 - well that's quite a while). I too am bothered by the ongoing aspect of the one relationship and the fact that Levine paid him $50 grand. Something just doesn't add up here. If one goes into the court of public opinion for justice, one should at least go in with clean hands. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

The headline in the print edition for New York Times, December 4, 2017 is "Top Conductor Is Suspended By Met Opera." Very long article. I did not read the linked article

I am not sure how anyone could read any recent version of the Times article and still defend Levine.

Yes, I have seen Levine often conduct at the Met as well.

His supreme talent is not in question.

Not to defend Levine in any way but there have been some very famous consensual lifetime love affairs (see Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy) between an older man and a younger man who fell in love and stayed with each other for life.

Come on, @TruHart1. Levine used his power to sexual abuse young men. The Times article describes Levine "finding" musical talent in some of the young men.

Come on, @TruHart1. Levine used his power to sexual abuse young men. The Times article describes Levine "finding" musical talent in some of the young men.

I was in no way trying to defend any of Levine's actions, @WilliamM, but simply to point out that a few younger men (even in some cases under the age of consent!) are not so naïve as to not take advantage of older, more powerful men who desire them sexually, for monetary, career advancement or even truly because they become enamored with the more powerful older man. If the accusations are true, and since the rumors have followed Levine around since 1968, there is little proof they are not, Levine is indeed the worst of sexual predators, having scarred so many young men over 40+ years.

It is difficult to make unerring generalizations about how any individual teenage male reacts to this kind of situation. I was technically a minor (17) when I first started to have sex with men, and it was always with adults, mostly in their 20s or 30s, but sometimes a lot older. A few were men who had palpable power, including celebrity. Sometimes I felt coerced or forced into doing things I didn't want to do sexually. But I never perceived it as abuse, merely an education in the ways of the world. Other youths obviously react differently, and some are damaged psychologically by the experience. Many years later, it is hard to tell who was scarred by the encounter with Levine, whose current state really reflects previous or subsequent experiences, and who is just being opportunistic at this point.

Many years later, it is hard to tell who was scarred by the encounter with Levine, whose current state really reflects previous or subsequent experiences, and who is just being opportunistic at this point.

How is Levine different from Spacey? To suggest "who is just being opportunistic" makes me wonder if you realize not everyone is as knowing as you at age 17.