The Great Recession...

Courage
This topic is 2394 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Or, better put, the creeping recession--male pattern alopecia. "M" formation hairline. Very grey, almost white, at the temples. I'm realizing combing forward is less and less worthwhile and I know better than to fight this.

So...what is your preferred way of dealing with it for yourself? What is your favorite style on others? I'm the least style-conscious gay guy I know, so I'd appreciate thoughts.

Thank you.

I keep my whole head shaved. Well.. not shaved down to the scalp, but at about 1/8" all around. I think it looks best for me, because right now I'm the same way you described (M hairline/deep recession, gray at the temples).

I also think very short/shaved head looks best on other guys with receding hairlines.

Have you guys ever considered getting a hair transplant? One of my friends (38y/o) flew over to Istanbul to get a FUE hair transplant for his M-problem for around $4,000 + airfare, and his hair is starting to look great again, the way it was back in his 20s. It's been 9 months and it's supposed to grow out even thicker & stronger over the next 3-6 months. A similar procedure would've cost him anywhere between 20-25k here in the States. If/when it starts happening to me, I'm going to be opting for a transplant too.

It was traumatic at first when I first caught a glimpse of myself in a storefront window when I was trying to compensate for hair loss, and grew a stupid ponytail, so at least I would have hair in the back. I looked ridiculous. I bought electric clippers, and with hand shaking, shaved it all off, down to scruffy stubble.... Low and behold, I looked "normal"... Have kept it that way ever since. But there are moments when "I just gotta have Hair".......

http://i2.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/article8450417.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS54523178.jpg

Have you guys ever considered getting a hair transplant? One of my friends (38y/o) flew over to Istanbul to get a FUE hair transplant for his M-problem for around $4,000 + airfare, and his hair is starting to look great again, the way it was back in his 20s. It's been 9 months and it's supposed to grow out even thicker & stronger over the next 3-6 months. A similar procedure would've cost him anywhere between 20-25k here in the States. If/when it starts happening to me, I'm going to be opting for a transplant too.

The current techniques are huge improvement over the plugs that they used to use, but a guy with transplants still looks like a guy with transplants. I'm wondering if the new software guided approaches will allow them to achieve the random hair distribution that a natural head of hair has.

I keep my whole head shaved. Well.. not shaved down to the scalp, but at about 1/8" all around. I think it looks best for me, because right now I'm the same way you described (M hairline/deep recession, gray at the temples).

I also think very short/shaved head looks best on other guys with receding hairlines.

A few years ago, I found a new barber, and he suggested as very, very, short cut because of my hair loss pattern. My friends seem to like it.

Archived