HPV and Men

Billsboy4
This topic is 1772 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing there are no other posts here. It’s a VERY important subject.

Should we have an area of this forum dedicated to health issues?

Edited by marylander1940

Damn you have a long memory!

Thank you! It's a curse. Although I was trying to remember Secty. John Kerry's name yesterday ... I remembered that he married into the Heinz family, and that they live in Louisberg Squre (the VERY best part of the VERY best part of Boston), where she had the fire hydrant that was in front of her house moved because it was in HER way.

What did you say?

Thank you! It's a curse. Although I was trying to remember Secty. John Kerry's name yesterday ... I remembered that he married into the Heinz family, and that they live in Louisberg Squre (the VERY best part of the VERY best part of Boston), where she had the fire hydrant that was in front of her house moved because it was in HER way.

What did you say?

Barney Frank told me that story years ago... At that time she had to pay 10k for removing it (not even pocket change for her in the 80's or now) she showed up at a political even with a plastic fire hydrant and placed it on her lap making a joke about herself.

Frank also told me Kerry said the shortest fundraising speech in the history of politics: "I do".

I think in 2004 before Citizens United she wasn't allowed to give more than 2k to her husband, I don't know if that would have make the difference in Ohio, after all so many folks voted for Bush against gay marriage.

Amazing there are no other posts here. It’s a VERY important subject.

I completely agree.

What's most scary is that so many guys are carriers, but never develop it. Gardasil isn't being pushed hard enough for young males, as it's mainly seen at the moment as a way to prevent cervical cancers in women.

I do hope they can expand on the existing vaccination to include a wider age group: This would also mean needing more conclusive system of testing for HPV (for males, especially).

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/infectious-agents/hpv/hpv-and-hpv-testing.html

HPV vaccine was only approved for men and women up to the age of 26 for 2 reasons:

1. That's the upper age used the the vaccine studies;

2. It was/is thought that once you have reached about that age you have been exposed to HPV and therefore the vaccine would prove to be useless. The big flaw is that there is a huge population of men and women who have or had been in a true monogamous relationship all of their sexual lives and have therefore NOT been exposed. What happens when the partner is no longer in the picture and these people enter the "dating pool"?

Simple example: the 70 year old woman whose husband has passed away after >50 years of marriage (and no cheating) - she has always been HPV negative. She dates, is lucky enough to find another guy to be her next husband. He, however, has been out and about and very sexually active for 20 years, happens to be positive for HPV and gives it to her. Now her PAP smears are abnormal, she winds up with cervical cancer caught in the early stages and requires surgery. Also, think Michael Douglas, the actor, his throat cancer was linked to HPV and he was not shy in admitting it.

Gay men, on the other hand, have never been mistaken for monogamous at any age and guess what! Yep - HPV has found a home here, too.

Just get the damn vaccine!

My brother is a freaking antivaxxer because he has an autistic kid. And he swears the HPV vaccine caused some terrible reaction in a cousin of ours who had to be taken to the hospital unable to walk within weeks of getting the first shot. This is a cousin who was so thin I strongly suspect anorexia/bulimia and timing was coincidental.

It is a shame that they only allow it up to 26 yrs of age. While I understand the reasoning behind the age limit.

There is no limit on who can receive it, the limit is on those for whom it is recommended and who receives it free or paid by insurance. Also, doctors' advice will likely follow the age recommendation. Older people can pay for it themselves.

It is a shame that they only allow it up to 26 yrs of age. While I understand the reasoning behind the age limit. Anything that could potentially help a person from contracting or spreading it would be helpful. Just seems like it would offer some type resistance , if just a little.

It's not that they don't ALLOW it, insurance just won't pay for it! More and more docs realize alternative life style are a good reason to get it and they will give.it. you just pay. LBGTQ clinics also offer it regardless of age.

It's not that they don't ALLOW it, insurance just won't pay for it! More and more docs realize alternative life style are a good reason to get it and they will give.it. you just pay. LBGTQ clinics also offer it regardless of age.

There is no limit on who can receive it, the limit is on those for whom it is recommended and who receives it free or paid by insurance. Also, doctors' advice will likely follow the age recommendation. Older people can pay for it themselves.

Oh...I am aware of that ..I should have clarified that myself..... My Bad , Thanks Guys.

My brother is a freaking antivaxxer because he has an autistic kid

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but what the actual fuck is wrong with people that they... WITHOUT MEDICAL SCHOOL TRAINING... would not vaccinate their children?

Every 'study' done that's said there might be a connection has been debunked. I can't wrap my head around not protecting your child, as well as now seeing the resurgence of diseases that should have been eradicated in the States.

HPV is serious. When I met my husband in the mid to late 90s he was, unbeknownst to both of us, an asymptomatic HPV carrier. I developed what my primary health care professional thought were hemorroids. Eventually I received a correct diagnosis and I had outpatient surgery to get rid of the warts. That was one of the meanest and nastiest experiences of my life. At some point the virus cleared my husband's system. He never experienced any symptoms.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but what the actual fuck is wrong with people that they... WITHOUT MEDICAL SCHOOL TRAINING... would not vaccinate their children?

Every 'study' done that's said there might be a connection has been debunked. I can't wrap my head around not protecting your child, as well as now seeing the resurgence of diseases that should have been eradicated in the States.

Just to throw my 2 cents in re: antivaxxers - the guy who did the original study in the UK lost his medical license and the the other authors of the study withdrew their names when it was actually published. The study was debunked 12 ways from both Saturday AND Sunday and, before said debunking, there were then hundreds of cases of measles in the UK with a high number of DEATHS. Yes, the risk from catching measles and dying is nothing to laugh about. I had it as an adult and I was out of work for 1 month and nearly hospitalized.

Back to your original programming now . . .

HPV is serious. When I met my husband in the mid to late 90s he was, unbeknownst to both of us, an asymptomatic HPV carrier. I developed what my primary health care professional thought were hemorroids. Eventually I received a correct diagnosis and I had outpatient surgery to get rid of the warts. That was one of the meanest and nastiest experiences of my life. At some point the virus cleared my husband's system. He never experienced any symptoms.

Yes - "venereal warts" due to HPV are something to behold. I had one patient who had what looked like a cauliflower growing out of his ass. His surgery was NOT outpatient!

This! WTAF indeed. There are reactions (that are real as opposed to the ones the antivaxers obsess about) but they are vanishingly rare. If there are reasons for concern, such as egg allergies (some vaccines are cultured in eggs) then a GP can take appropriate precautions.

This! WTAF indeed. There are reactions (that are real as opposed to the ones the antivaxers obsess about) but they are vanishingly rare. If there are reasons for concern, such as egg allergies (some vaccines are cultured in eggs) then a GP can take appropriate precautions.

Well my brother smokes a lot of pot and is paranoid. Lots of people make the false association because the time the symptoms become clear to everyone, not just those with training, is around the time these shots happen. But I had noticed when the kid was only six months old that he didn't look anyone in the eye and wasn't very responsive to what other people did. My brother will swear up and down that he spoke his first complete sentence before the MMR and then a week later never spoke again.

There was also apparently some case of a massive dataset that was initially to be used in a study being accidentally destroyed, and no longer available for review, and that set the conspiracy theorists on it.