Know anyone who has had weight loss surgery?

FreshFluff
This topic is 1789 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression is some people, after they have had issues or learned to make adjustments to accommodate the changes after a surgical intervention, say they wish they had just made those changes without the surgery. It's not for me to judge them personally, but I do tend to set aside those statements, as I tend to want to trust they would have not gotten the surgery if they didn't really need it.

My impression is some people, after they have had issues or learned to make adjustments to accommodate the changes after a surgical intervention, say they wish they had just made those changes without the surgery. It's not for me to judge them personally, but I do tend to set aside those statements, as I tend to want to trust they would have not gotten the surgery if they didn't really need it.

exactly there's no "one size (solution) fits all"

Interesting. Anyone know why?

There is data on this.

For one....think about those cards the state ( at least the CA DMV) sends out showing how many drinks an hour you metabolize based on body weight. Lose substantial weight...less alcohol metabolized by your smaller over same period of time.

Some weight lost (depending on your procedure) is based on "malabsorption", i.e. Your modified stomach/intestine doesn't absorb foods and nutrients from food as effectively.You lose weight because of this. But that affects alcohol too, less time for it to get metabolized as it used to.

I stated above that palate/tastes can change post surgery. That could include alcohol. I rarely drank white wine prior to my surgery. 6 months after I had to have chardonnnay and Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge at all times. ;)

And, of course as mentioned in a posting above, a new addiction could easily replace the food addiction. Alcohol included.

IMG_0359.jpg

But the eating adjustments from bariatric surgery are forced. You vomit from eating too much. That kind of makes "making the adjustments" a lot easier than simply relying on willpower.

I lost 45 lbs in 8 weeks earlier this year, took my foot off the gas, and put half of it back on. Doing another 8-week run now and hoping to stick to it, but it's very hard to be "always on" on something. At my heaviest I technically barely made the cutoff for surgery, but still feel like I can manage it without it. Partly because the BMI is skewed against taller people and I would look gaunt if I had a BMI of 25. People were shocked when I tole them I qualified for surgery.

?? What?

When you have bariatric surgery, they basically reduce the size of your stomach to like 8 oz or less. You eat any more than that at one time, it's gonna be forced back up. That's why people lose weight so rapidly - they physically CAN'T eat normal amounts of food, much less large amounts.

Picking up another addiction can be an issue. Also, many patient's (I'm being specific to bypass surgery here) palate changes in the months/years after surgery. Some lose a taste for red meat, sugar, carbs - and/or vice-versa to the same! Hard to predict.

My surgeon had performed 3500 procedures prior to mine. He had developed a very strict pre-surgery protocol that included mandatory multiple group sessions with other pre/post bypass patients, psychologist visit, dietician consult, a raft of medical tests including treadmill stress test, barium radiography, bloodwork, etc. I signed a "contract" outlining my post-surgery followup exercise program, more group sessions, annual visits for five years, etc.

It's not a simple decision, nor a quick cure. As a patient you are sometimes mocked as having taken the "easy" way or "shortcut" to weight loss. It's not simple to keep,the weight off. Yes, there are post-surgical horror stories (as with any required or elective surgery). I'm one of 4 close relatives/friends who did the RNY or similar, I'm the only one to keep 100% of my weight off, 8 years for me now.

It was a massive positive game changer in my life, but it's not a quickie cure all.

Totally agree with this. Picking up another addiction is a common risk.

My surgeon also had the strict pre-surgery and post-surgery requirements. Luckily, I've not had any issues with lose of taste (thank goodness). Still love food but in much smaller portions. For example, if I go out to eat for lunch and order a sandwich I end up eating half and using a doggie bag for the other half (dinner).

I originally lost about 150 lbs (much than I wanted) and it took a while for the body to stop losing. I'm now at a loss of 130 lbs and at the weight my doctor recommended. Went from a 48" waist to 36". Best decision I ever made.

When you have bariatric surgery, they basically reduce the size of your stomach to like 8 oz or less. You eat any more than that at one time, it's gonna be forced back up. That's why people lose weight so rapidly - they physically CAN'T eat normal amounts of food, much less large amounts.

I had problems with vomiting if I ate too much or too fast. And, there were some foods my body would immediately reject (like pork). So, yes, I was forced to eat less so I didn't have the side effects. And, after about 8 months post-surgery, my body had stopped rejecting foods. I can now eat anything I want. But, still in much smaller portions.

Not sure if this is related to the surgery, but I've developed an allergy to red wine. So, I've now switched to white wine with no problems. I suspect the allergy to red wine is due to the way it is processed.

I always stopped - when I got full - didn't vomit

There is data on this.

For one....think about those cards the state ( at least the CA DMV) sends out showing how many drinks an hour you metabolize based on body weight. Lose substantial weight...less alcohol metabolized by your smaller over same period of time.

Some weight lost (depending on your procedure) is based on "malabsorption", i.e. Your modified stomach/intestine doesn't absorb foods and nutrients from food as effectively.You lose weight because of this. But that affects alcohol too, less time for it to get metabolized as it used to.

I stated above that palate/tastes can change post surgery. That could include alcohol. I rarely drank white wine prior to my surgery. 6 months after I had to have chardonnnay and Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge at all times. ;)

And, of course as mentioned in a posting above, a new addiction could easily replace the food addiction. Alcohol included.

IMG_0359.jpg

Thank you. I hadn't made the connection between an RNY and alcohol absorption rates.

Your desire for white wines post-op is really fascinating.

I have had two patients who've had bariatric surgery die, one who never asked me if she should have the procedure, and one who I specifically advised it was a bad idea. Dietary deficiencies are common and sometimes very difficult to correct. That being said, I've had a number of patients who've done quite well with it. It's one of the surgeries with the highest morbidity and mortality rates, though. The procedure doesn't mean you get to eat what you want and not get fat, which is what some people seem to believe. You simply can't eat as much, physically. You can get the same results without the surgical risk by simply eating less (or more healthily with more vegies, etc.).

I have had two patients who've had bariatric surgery die, one who never asked me if she should have the procedure, and one who I specifically advised it was a bad idea.

My primary doctor happened to be a GI guy, I had to do a *major* presentation to him on all my research, surgeon, and all the pre-surgery testing and counseling, in effect I had to "sell" my surgery to my primary doc to get his ok. It was one of the longest office visits with him ever, and he ultimately approved the surgery.

The procedure doesn't mean you get to eat what you want and not get fat, which is what some people seem to believe. You simply can't eat as much, physically.

Thanks for acknowledging the surgery is not a magic bullet, it was not a simple decision for me. Lots of pre/post dedication

But the eating adjustments from bariatric surgery are forced. You vomit from eating too much.

The mechanical shrinking of the stomach is only part of the effect. Apparently, the surgery also causes changes in the way the brain processes hunger, as MikeBiDude mentioned. This NYT story gives more details.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/health/bariatric-surgery.html

The mechanical shrinking of the stomach is only part of the effect. Apparently, the surgery also causes changes in the way the brain processes hunger, as MikeBiDude mentioned. This NYT story gives more details.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/health/bariatric-surgery.html

Either way, it's an "external" mechanism that is not about your sheer force of will. So saying "he just should have controlled himself more" is unrealistic and unfair.

Why would anyone regret that? I only wish I could have it done... but apparently 20 pounds overweight isn't enough to warrant surgery. I dunno.. I would have had liposuction when I was 160 pounds if they'd have let me.

I guess the grass is always greener. I'd give my left nut to only be 20 pounds overweight. I just looked at my BMI. I thought I was morbidly obese with the classifications being

Underweight

Normal Weight

Overweight

Obesity Class 1

Obesity Class 2

Morbid Obesity

My BMI of 34.4 puts me in Class 1. I guess Class 2 and Morbid Obesity are goals I can work towards.

Gman