Jonathan Groff

LoveNDino
This topic is 2392 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Review from NYTimes

Review from Deadline

If you are a fan of David Fincher’s 2007’s film Zodiac, you will love the director’s new Netflix serial killer series Mindhunter that debuts tomorrow on the streaming service. Partially directed by the Oscar nominee, the 10-episode Mindhunter from executive producers Fincher and Charlize Theron is, as I say in my video review above, meticulously captivating and a binge waiting to happen.

Starring Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany and based on the 1996 book Mind Hunter: Inside The FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit written by ex-FBI agents Mark Olshaker and John E. Douglas (the latter one of the bureau’s first criminal profilers), the series focuses on two late-1970s Behavioral Sciences FBI Agents going to some very dark places with some very dangerous people. Developing new techniques now known as criminal profiling, the excellent McCallany and Groff as Bill Tench and Holden Ford, respectively, go into the prisons of California to interview serial killers. Talking to the likes of the real-life and still-incarcerated necrophiliac Ed Kemper, they seek to understand what makes the monsters tick and how to anticipate and catch them.

Incremental in nature but insightful in scope, the Joe Penhall-created Mindhunter is epic-level and epic-length Fincher that, to paraphrase the show, seeks to get ahead of crazy by learning how crazy thinks. Josh Donen and Cean Chaffin are also EPs.

I believe it is available on Netflix on Friday the 13th of October.

I ever knew that Jonathan Goff played Rothko's assistant in the LA production. Eddie Redmayne was in the original NY production, and he was excellent!

Thanks SO MUCH for the wonderful clip of Jonathan Groff performing "Anything Goes." You made my day!!

I saw him with Alfred Molina in "Red" at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles and he was excellent. I know that Eddie Redmayne won the Tony for it on Broadway and I'm sure Groff was different but he was honestly very, very good and from what I understand matched Redmayne's performance.

I just finished binge watching all 10 episodes of Mindhunter. It’s very good and I appreciated that it’s wasn’t just some gore fest even though it’s about hideous gory crimes. Jonathan Groff’s character is very interesting to watch as he changes throughout. That baby face can be disarming especially when darker traits start to bubble to the surface. Looking forward to the next season and curious to see where it goes. Recommended.

I just finished binge watching all 10 episodes of Mindhunter. It’s very good and I appreciated that it’s wasn’t just some gore fest even though it’s about hideous gory crimes. Jonathan Groff’s character is very interesting to watch as he changes throughout. That baby face can be disarming especially when darker traits start to bubble to the surface. Looking forward to the next season and curious to see where it goes. Recommended.

I just finished the 3rd episode last night, and I could go on for more. You're right. It had a quiet intensity that I liked as well.

And I thought that Holt McCallany was a hot daddy!

The first episode just aired. How can you watch all episodes?

On my Netflix app, all 10 episodes in the first season are available for streaming. Every series I've ever watched that is produced by Netflix like "Mindhunter" or "The Crown" has had the entire season available once the first episode was made available, which makes it so easy to binge watch!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

A Twitter friend recommended it, so I watched the first episode as a break from a series I'm rewatching so I can see the last season with some context. (I last saw it two years ago.) It took me 2/3 of the way through before Mindhunter really clicked with me, but I'm looking forward to watching more.

It also took about ten minutes before I was certain Holden was Groff. I guess I haven't seen his hair that short before.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived