Jonathan Groff

LoveNDino
This topic is 2389 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, my comment may not relate to Jonathan's youtube remarks. Just Saying.

A huge number of great singers have sung Arlen's heavenly "When The Sun Comes Out" - I'm not sure why every road seems to have to lead back to Judy, lol. ;) (No worries, my friend.)

At least we can be sure that she never sang "You'll Be Back," lol. :D

About as often as one finds hen's teeth, Groff appears in a concert at some venue. Yet, I have never found a reliable source to let me know such a concert is upcoming. I usually hear about it the day of the event or, more often, a few days after. Does anyone know of a reliable source of such (rare) concerts?

Reminded me of this clip with the first three King Georges in Hamilton, (Brian d'Arcy James, Jonathan Groff and Andrew Rannells) doing The Schuyler Sisters for the fans outside of the Hamilton stage door following the Saturday matinee performance of Hamilton, October 24, 2015:

TruHart1 :cool:

@LoveNDino, I talked to him as early in his career as the off-Broadway version of "Spring Awakening" when he was enjoying the outdoor sun between afternoon and evening performances.

I also saw Jonathan in "Hamilton" and half a dozen off-Broadway shows after "Spring Awakening." He's also appeared in plays in London and Los Angeles. I never heard of Russell Tovey before "Looking," not the same situation with Jonathan Groff.

Jonathan Groff Comes to 92nd Street Y for 5 Performances

BY ROBERT VIAGAS

Performances Saturday, January 20 @ 8PM, Sunday January 21 @ 2Pm & &PM, Monday January 22 @ 2Pm & 7;30PM

https://www.92y.org/events#q_100_Events__Concerts%2F200_E_Concerts__Lyrics%20and%20Lyricists

The Tony-nominated Spring Awakening and Hamilton actor will sing numbers associated with crooner Bobby Darin.

http://static.playbill.com/dims4/default/252c269/2147483647/crop/1000x563%2B0%2B404/resize/970x546/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.playbill.com%2F6d%2F06%2F04ce04c7439eaab18729ae259d34%2Ftonyportraits-2016-1836.jpg

Jonathan Groff, who earned Tony nominations for his Broadway roles in Hamilton and Spring Awakening, will veer into the world of 1950s pop, embodying the singer Bobby Darin as the opening production of the 2018 season of the Lyrics & Lyricists series.

Darin never appeared on Broadway, but had one of his biggest hits with a jazzy arrangement of the Kurt Weill-Bertolt Brecht ballad “Moritat (Mack the Knife)” from The Threepenny Opera.

The concert, titled The Bobby Darin Story, will kick off the 2018 season, the first under the producership of Theodore S. Chapin, longtime president of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization, and former chair of the American Theater Wing., titled The Bobby Darin Story, will kick off the 2018 season, the first under the producership of Theodore S. Chapin, longtime president of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization, and former chair of the American Theater Wing.

The Bobby Darin Story will be presented for five performances, January 20–22. The 2018 Lyrics & Lyricists season will continue February 24–26 with Lenny’s Lyricists, a program of songs by the lyricists who worked with composer Leonard Bernstein (including Comden & Green and Stephen Sondheim), then An Evening With Lynn Ahrens (March 24–26), a program of songs by the lyricist of Anastasia, Ragtime, Once on This Island, and Seussical; followed by Irving Berlin: American (May 5–7) marking the 100th anniversary of “God Bless America” by the composer of Annie Get Your Gun, Miss Liberty, and Call Me Madam. The season will wrap with Frank Loesser: Lyricist (June 2–4), salute to the songwriter of Guys and Dolls and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Chapin told Playbill, “I have loved L&L all along, and was honored when Deb Winer asked me to create one of the programs a few years ago. When the folks upstairs at the Y asked me about taking over, I thought it would be fun to look both forward and back. Back: invite a bona fide lyricist to hold court, discuss the art of lyric writing, and illustrate with singers. Hence Lynn Ahrens—and I look forward to helping her shape the evening. Forward: find stories about the American Songbook that haven't been told, or from angles that haven't been explored. Few know that Bobby Darin wrote over 150 songs, including some of his big hits. He was an extraordinary performer, transforming during his short career from a rock and roller ("Splish Splash"—one of his songs) to a master of standards ("Mack the Knife") and even an Academy Award nominated actor. Putting the focus on Darin came from a conversation with Jonathan Groff at dinner one night, and he dove into YouTube and was hooked. And that's just two of next season's programs. I'm excited.”

...rather than "Hamilton," which was a waste of his time.

No punches pulled here. You're crazy. It's a huge scene-stealing cameo role in a huge Broadway hit, which he got a lot of positive attention for. "You'll Be Back" is one of the plum songs in the show, and a huge crowd pleaser. All that and an AEA scale paycheck, for getting away with doing about 10 minutes of stage work per performance. I don't understand where the "waste of time" part comes in.

No punches pulled here. You're crazy. It's a huge scene-stealing cameo role in a huge Broadway hit, which he got a lot of positive attention for. "You'll Be Back" is one of the plum songs in the show, and a huge crowd pleaser. All that and an AEA scale paycheck, for getting away with doing about 10 minutes of stage work per performance. I don't understand where the "waste of time" part comes in.

I have no response to someone who calls me crazy.

Call me anything u want now, @bostonman. I have you on ignore.

Perhaps I should be clear that I saw Jonathan Groff in "Hamilton" and Eddie Redmayne in "Red." Groff was an established musical performer who had fun with the role of the king in "Hamilton." "Red" was a step forward in a superb play which required Groff to act on stage in a major role.

Archived