AFTERGLOW

bluedawg
This topic is 2241 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...
Has anyone seen it? Responses?

Yes, saw it!

The 1 Act, 90 minute play starts out with 3 very handsome naked men relaxing on the bed. They've just had some great sex.

We quickly learn that Josh (an actor) and Alex (a student) are married and in an open relationship. They've invited Darius, their younger massage therapist, to join them in bed.

At first everything is cool between them but Josh and Darius continue to see each other and start falling in love.

At a surprise birthday party Alex learns that Josh is paying Darius' rent and their marriage, based on love, trust, and loyalty, starts to fall apart. In an attempt to save their marriage, Alex tells Josh to end it.

A well acted and likable cast. I enjoyed it and, yes, lots of nudity.

Have you ever walked into a restaurant that had beautiful decor or a great view and thought the food probably isn’t going to be very good? That’s sort of the way I feel about plays that have a lot of nudity. It’s a distraction from bad writing and the actors were chosen for how good they look naked. Also this play has received mixed reviews so I didn’t have high hopes for it. But it was better than I expected and these days I hear more about these polyamorous relationships. Some work, others don’t. I guess I’m more surprised by the ones that do but I like the idea since I doubt any one person can totally fulfill another. So despite some very nice nudity by some very attractive actors the play does present some thought provoking situations and worth seeing. Discount tickets are often available at tkts.

@RyanDean. The play runs till Jan 15, 2018. As @foxy & I mentioned, it's better than we thought. There was no line @ TKTS. Just remember, there's a separate line for "plays". Ticket cost $48.50.

It's in the loft of a small theater. Lots of stairs to climb. I was told there's an elevator. The stage is in the center, so, all seats are good. Bathrooms are in the basement. ;-)

Hope you get to see it.

Coop

In case anyone goes to see this play I have to let you know something that took me by surprise. I had never been to the Davenport Theater. When I walked in there were what appeared to be young parents with very young children. At first I thought I was in the wrong place but then realized there are two theaters. I’m not quite sure what kid friendly play was being performed on the first level but it sure wasn’t Afterglow. So NY. You can have a play for kiddies on one level and naked gay guys a few floors up. Gosh I love this city.

So NY. You can have a play for kiddies on one level and naked gay guys a few floors up. Gosh I love this city.

As Marta says in Company, "That's why I love New York!" :D

I remember waiting on the TKTS line back in the summer of 1994, for seats to Sondheim's Passion, looking over at the Palace Theatre, where Beauty and The Beast had recently opened. I'm not sure what's in the vicinity of the Palace now (where Spongebob is now in previews), but at the time, right near (and I think above) the theatre, there were ads for "LIVE SEX" and the like. And I remember wondering if all the kids going to Beauty were wondering what that was all about. Only in NY, indeed...

Though, speaking of nudity, the first scene of Passion was done, very tastefully, in the nude. (Much like Afterglow, the show opens just after the couple has finished sex.) It didn't seem gratuitous at all. Though I'm sure some people hated that bit of realism. What actually impressed me was the seamless sound design, as they could really croon the opening phrases of the duet intimately and yet be heard clearly - there must have been mics built into the bed.

• 4 months later...