? Apple Magic Trackpad Solution

TruthBTold
This topic is 2488 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not sure if this is singularly associated with the site but I thought maybe could help me - even if it is just to point me to someone/place else. I am currently using a 2013 OS X Yosemite (version 10.10.5) and a connecting Magic Trackpad. Recently, two things have started to occur. First, as regards the Desktop, whether I am actually touching the Trackpad or simply passing my finger over a file (or randomly more) on the Desktop are selected and moved. Or it will select and open all the vid files at the same time and I have to try to close the Apple vid application ("Quick-something") to get all the files to close. Once I get off the Desktop the same thing occurs. Let's say I go in Safari to this site. Once on the site nearly the same thing occurs. As I try to scroll, it might select one or two lines or simply not select something. I guess I am trying to figure out if it is the computer, the Trackpad, a combination. I have to let you know that I have changed batteries in the Trackpad and did a total total security scan. It turned out negative. At any rate, it is driving me crazy and any input is greatly appreciated.

It actually sounds like you're running afoul of multi-touch. A swipe with one finger is different from a swipe with two (or three) fingers. Likewise a two-finger tap is a right click, etc.

Could you just be encountering "gestures" you haven't noticed before?

When did you acquire this Magic Trackpad? I noticed the latest version reacts one way if you lightly touch the pad and a different way if you press down on it. Took me a while to become accustomed to it.

It actually sounds like you're running afoul of multi-touch. A swipe with one finger is different from a swipe with two (or three) fingers. Likewise a two-finger tap is a right click, etc.

Could you just be encountering "gestures" you haven't noticed before?

I think I have been doing the same thing I have doing over the past 4 years without these sorts of things taking place. However I am so unsophisticated in these matters that perhaps I am doing something different. So I will work on it and see what I do when I am using the Pad. Thanks.

When did you acquire this Magic Trackpad? I noticed the latest version reacts one way if you lightly touch the pad and a different way if you press down on it. Took me a while to become accustomed to it.

I found the force touch feature on the new version so annoying, I turned it off.

I found the force touch feature on the new version so annoying, I turned it off.

I need to do the same thing.

Apple is finally acquiring Microsoft's habit of adding neat things, otherwise known as "features", of minimal marginal benefit and maximal marginal irritation, thereby adding to the 90% of features "never used" and decreasing the number of items actually used.

Stonrium 90, in milk: "First they pasteurized it. Then they homogenized it. Then they added Vitamin D. Then I lost count. Tell me, what's wrong with good old fashioned milk right-out-of-the Cow?

- Dan Greenberg,
How to be a Jewish Mother

When I bought my Lexus RX400h, I thought two items were completely ridiculous:

• Back up camera
  • Automatic rear tail gate lift

They are two of the most useful things ever added to a vehicle, so much so that Toyota, if not the entire auto industry, is adding back-up cameras to all its vehicles.

To me it sounds like the trackpad may just need to be cleaned. Sometimes grease and the like can interfere with its touch perception.

I've mentioned that my boyfriend's trackpad is acting up in this manner, and I've seen it select text or move the pointer without it even being touched. It is hard for me to imagine that dirt on the surface of the trackpad would cause these symptoms, but hey .. it's easy and harmless enough to try :)

I've mentioned that my boyfriend's trackpad is acting up in this manner, and I've seen it select text or move the pointer without it even being touched. It is hard for me to imagine that dirt on the surface of the trackpad would cause these symptoms, but hey .. it's easy and harmless enough to try :)

I mentioned grease rather than dirt because it can be conductive. I know that having any liquid on the surface of the trackpad causes the same symptoms, so a decent layer of grease (or something else conductive) might also do so.

I mentioned grease rather than dirt because it can be conductive. I know that having any liquid on the surface of the trackpad causes the same symptoms, so a decent layer of grease (or something else conductive) might also do so.

The voices in my head rephrase this as "Clean your junk!" :cool:

Well, it seems it turns out that my Trackpad had acquired "Ghost Touch." The young gentleman who discussed the whole thing with me said it was infrequent and more importantly he replaced the pad with a newer version. So far it has worked better which means that I can start placing pics of butts in the Gallery again. And isn't that what it is all about. :p

Well, it seems it turns out that my Trackpad had acquired "Ghost Touch." The young gentleman who discussed the whole thing with me said it was infrequent and more importantly he replaced the pad with a newer version. So far it has worked better which means that I can start placing pics of butts in the Gallery again. And isn't that what it is all about. :p

I take it this was Apple making things right?

Kevin Slater

Apple has been very good lately about replacing defective items. My partner's AppleWatch (first gen) screen popped away from the case and they replaced it with a newer model (Series 1, not 2) for free even though it was out of warranty. While we were there a guy with a 4 or 4S showed up and was complaining about the EarPods not working right. They just replaced them with a new pair. That's a very old phone and it was completely ragged out but they still replaced the EarPods. Apple gets a bad rap sometimes but it's usually from people who don't want to spend the money for a quality product.

I take it this was Apple making things right?

Kevin Slater

I think so. They do not make the one I have anymore so they gave me the new one. He did make a suggestion that I also go out and get a spare trackpad and keyboard just in case this happens. He was really very cordial and actually suggested that I go to a Walmart, etc. to get it so that it is inexpensive as hopefully it will only be the spare. I thought that was nice.

Archived