Netflix Tales Of The City Series...

This topic is 1724 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

But there existed one of the problems for me in that the previous series were told in fifteen year retrospectives, where this one plays out in modern day. Understandable considering the challenges currently facing the LBGTQ community, San Francisco and the political divide within the nation, but it also would have made the primary characters, (Mary Ann, Michael and Brian), in their late sixties and seventies.

I finished the series last night and the show has its moments, (the flashback episode to the sixties where we learn how Anna acquired Barbary Lane I found the best), but the principle issue I found was the writing itself. Previous series had two writers, (Armistead being one), where as Netflix credited ten, so lost was the intelligence and given way to predicable and titillating.

That said, enough complaining. It was worth it to watch Micah Stock as we get to see him in his two minute scene and at least Netflix contributed some original programing for Gay Pride month, which is something we haven't seen from HBO in five years.

So far I have only watched the first two episodes, and I am not impressed. It seems stale and a rather tired rehash of familiar themes. Plus it represents the San Francisco of today only in the most superficial way. I will probably watch the rest, if only to see the flashback episode. Hope it gets better.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest InthePines
And what’s with the altered rainbow flag at the end of every episode?

I think they should have paid homage to the original series, simply by ending each episode with the closing credits and played the original theme music.

Guest MikeThomas
I think they should have paid homage to the original series, simply by ending each episode with the closing credits and played the original theme music.

I think there must be an ownership issue with the theme music. Different producers, etc.

Guest InthePines
I think there must be an ownership issue with the theme music. Different producers, etc.

You could be right. It did make the shifted from PBS to Showtime for the second and third installments. As for the Netflix series, I doubt most of the producers and creative contributors were born when the series first aired.

Guest MikeThomas

I guess I must be getting old, but I found the original Tales books to be magical. I was young... read them during my first trip to San Francisco and my first gay pride. This Netflix series is bordering on farce. SPOILER ALERT: I didn't like the stereotypical old queens' dinner party, but then I suppose that was a nod to Michael's original dinner party fiasco and underwear contest.

Guest InthePines
I guess I must be getting old, but I found the original Tales books to be magical. I was young... read them during my first trip to San Francisco and my first gay pride. .

Here, here, young man.

I remember the original series re-airing twenty years ago, (this month, June 1999), on what was then the newly formed Bravo network. I recorded it on my little VCR during what was in retrospect probably the lowest time of my life, and somehow watching the series helped get me through it.

His characters spoke to those of us who were a bit lost and without the ambition to get our lives back on tract, largely because we've become disillusioned with our choices. Whose career's were non-existent , broke and we're relying upon our friends, the numbing qualities of herb and the occasional prospect of love, (or at least sex), to get by.

Maupin's work was an endorsement at that time as if he was saying, you're okay. You're being you and that's fine. It's everyone else, especially those who bought into corporate America or who's life have become cliché who are crazy.

I started watching, then binged the second half. I enjoyed it. Not as magical or captivating as the original. But, with very few exceptions dramatic sequels rarely live up to the original.

I cant help thinking I missed either an entire series, or at least some Showtime series.

Is Mona's death covered in prior installments? Remember feeling that Nina Siemasko's portrayal didnt approach chloe webb's .

As I write this.... did I miss Further Tales entirely?

Guest InthePines
I started watching, then binged the second half. I enjoyed it. Not as magical or captivating as the original. But, with very few exceptions dramatic sequels rarely live up to the original.

I cant help thinking I missed either an entire series, or at least some Showtime series.

Is Mona's death covered in prior installments? Remember feeling that Nina Siemasko's portrayal didnt approach chloe webb's .

As I write this.... did I miss Further Tales entirely?

No, it wasn't covered in prior installments. While Mona wasn't in Further Tales, I remember vaguely the abscess of her character was explained, yet in the current series, Mona and the details of her death are dismissed as an insignificant detail.

I agree with you. Siemasko play the character well, but didn't hold a candle to Chloe Webb's performance.

Mona's death was mentioned peripherally in this showing. Although Mona was a main character, her mention and that of other characters such as Beacham, was in keeping with how people are brought up in conversation when they have past and all the people in the conversation are familiar with them. I suppose they could have summarized Mona's relationship with Anna and how they were disenfranchised and then came back together, but if the viewer was unfamiliar with that, it would probably have little dramatic impact in the retelling.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a heads-up to anyone who hasn't noticed and might be interested ...

As of June 28, the original (1993) Tales of the City (set in 1976) is streaming on Netflix in Australia, Canada and the U.S.

They have six episodes and while I remembers most of the major plot points, having seen the most recent incarnation recently, I was able to piece in some details that had faded. For example, I did not realize that Norman the detective was working for Mona's mom and Mrs. Madrigal's ex.

Guest InthePines
They have six episodes and while I remembers most of the major plot points, having seen the most recent incarnation recently, I was able to piece in some details that had faded. For example, I did not realize that Norman the detective was working for Mona's mom and Mrs. Madrigal's ex.

Correct, Betty who is played by Swoosie Kurtz in the More Tales.

• 2 months later...