A summer visit to Montreal

LD19847
This topic is 2381 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just returned from a short weekend visit to Montreal, here is a quick summary.

The Village:

Make no doubt about it, The Village is a depressing sight on a weekday where it is largely occupied by people who look in very poor health. There is a still a huge amount of vacant real estate and it's a shame that hasn't been a co-ordinated effort between owners and public bodies to find alternative temporary uses or at least make vacant properties less visually unappealing. The nightclub next to the Sky Complexe which has had countless change of name has closed.

That said, there are some positives. It is still thriving at night (and the fact that it has not been overtaken with condos does at least protect night time venues from license issues and rising rents). The stretch of rainbow colored balls over The Village looks great. There is also a new outdoor art gallery "Gallerie Blanc" opposite Campus. There is a new bar Renard which was busy day and night. Le Saloon has a had a renovation and looks good. The ground floor of the Sky Complexe is also being renovated.

Stock:

The weather was bad on Friday and this seemed to have had an impact as it took quite a while for Stock to get going on Friday night. This rubbed off on the dancers, with many keeping their shirts on in the bar.

I did briefly go to Campus to see if that was better, but the stage was in fact empty in the short time I was there.

Saturday at Stock was better with some good performances from dancers like Sam, but this weekend I missed personal favorites such as Spencer and Yannick. I didn't see Chris or Phillippe either. The stage presence of dancers like Yannick who know how to work a crowd was lacking. I hope to be able to see them again later this summer.

By far the best highlight was a couple of private dances with Jo, who really knows how to connect and get in to you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Village:

Make no doubt about it, The Village is a depressing sight on a weekday where it is largely occupied by people who look in very poor health. There is a still a huge amount of vacant real estate and it's a shame that hasn't been a co-ordinated effort between owners and public bodies to find alternative temporary uses or at least make vacant properties less visually unappealing.

By far the best highlight was a couple of private dances with Jo, who really knows how to connect and get in to you.

Thanks for your review. Two comments:

1. Gayborhoods are suffering everywhere. Gay bars are closing all over the place. The Montreal Gay Village is no exception. In the end, it is progress in the big picture. It would be good if the "Village" area could condense into a core 3-4 block area on Sainte Catherine. Lux and taboo are entirely too far down the street given developments over the last 5 years or so.

2. Jo is awesome. One of my favorites in Montreal. In addition to being very sexy, he is a very nice guy.

The Village:

Make no doubt about it, The Village is a depressing sight on a weekday where it is largely occupied by people who look in very poor health. There is a still a huge amount of vacant real estate and it's a shame that hasn't been a co-ordinated effort between owners and public bodies to find alternative temporary uses or at least make vacant properties less visually unappealing. The nightclub next to the Sky Complexe which has had countless change of name has closed.

Well said.

I reported similar experience regarding my experience at Taboo and Luxe. No twinks in sight. And trust me I looked!

Ghost town.

The internet has taken its toll.

...There is a still a huge amount of vacant real estate and it's a shame that hasn't been a co-ordinated effort between owners and public bodies to find alternative temporary uses or at least make vacant properties less visually unappealing. The nightclub next to the Sky Complexe which has had countless change of name has closed...The ground floor of the Sky Complexe is also being renovated....
The latest issue of Fugues reports that plans to replace the Bourbon Complex down the block from Sky with a mixed use retail/condo development are in process. I don't recall whether they have final approval or are still negotiating over architectural details. The Sky renovation is also mentioned; it seems to encompass the whole complex, not just the ground floor.

The latest issue of Fugues reports that plans to replace the Bourbon Complex down the block from Sky with a mixed use retail/condo development are in process. I don't recall whether they have final approval or are still negotiating over architectural details. The Sky renovation is also mentioned; it seems to encompass the whole complex, not just the ground floor.

This is indeed encouraging news. Having family roots in retail development, when I was there a few weeks back, I was sitting outside Starbucks one morning with a friend. It was early, and St. Catherines was pretty empty. There were the usual stragglers left over from Saturday night, and the usual mix of tourist who were up early in search of breakfast. I was looking around and I said to my friend that this place is just screaming for mixed use complexes. Retail on the bottom, condos on top. To me, it was a no brainer. The old Club Sandwich building would be a wonderful candidate for just such a project. These types of projects typically infuse the area with people that are invested in the area, and give it a sense of 'neighborhood'...

Build it, and they will come...

We also spent some time in this great city recently. Very quick review:

Stayed at the http://www.hotel-st-denis.com/. Older hotel near the Gouverneur. Small, clean, recently updated bathrooms. Only $115/night CAD. Will stay there again. Italian restaurant next door. Duck Confit Risotto. YUMMY. Found something new: http://localmontrealtours.com/. Very enjoyable tour of Old Montreal. Awesome food. Spent a LOT of time at Campus. Spent some time with Chase (prime BEEF. Picture on the website does NOT do him justice). Also, Dimitri. What a sweetheart. We "adopted" Tommy. Wow. Any Tony (not pictured .. but OMG) for numerous private moments. There were others, but my memory is a bit blurry ;) Had SO much fun. Once a year is just not enough!

• 2 weeks later...
I am in Montreal. Going to Stock Bar and Campus next couple of nights. Which of the Stockbar dancers are likely to come over to my place after the bar closes?

I'm very surprised you would even bother going to Stock since so many of the dancers are str8. In the other thread you seemed to detest the fact that a gay male strip club would employ str8 strippers. Now you plan to go there? Why wouldn't you just spend your time at Taboo which is the gayest of the four strip bars in Montreal?

Some more data points here. I'm at Dorval Airport now leaving Montreal after 5 nights. The weather was variable. Generally warm but never really hot. Rain on several days. The locals tell me it has been a relatively cool and wet summer so far.

The Village was bustling as expected. I went to Stock on Thursday thru Sunday nights...only venturing into Campus on Monday when Stock is closed. Stock has a solid line-up of dancers this summer which is good to see. Several really big guys (newcomer Kobe and returning dancer Franco) as well as others not quite as big. By the way, Kobe is a real find. He is a real man's man with a great personality. Very muscular and manly. His only limitation was his English which is basically non-existent. I had to have other dancers translate. Anyway, I was fully satisfied with the choices at Stock.

Monday was for Campus. I went in with low expectations and those expectations were fully realized. Only one hot guy. The rest very average or worse. Two of the dancers were verging on being fat (yes I know its not a PC term). Let's face it, their top guys are not likely to choose to work on a Monday night.

All in all, a very fun visit to Montreal.

I'm very surprised you would even bother going to Stock since so many of the dancers are str8. In the other thread you seemed to detest the fact that a gay male strip club would employ str8 strippers. Now you plan to go there? Why wouldn't you just spend your time at Taboo which is the gayest of the four strip bars in Montreal?

We were having a discussion about hiring practices at the bars, it had nothing to do with the dancers. Anyone can apply for a job anywhere as far as I'm concerned. Kobe went home with you?

I think we were having a discussion about hiring practices at the bars, it had nothing to do with the dancers. Kobe went home with you?

You were most certainly referring to the sexual persuasion of the dancers at Stock in the aforementioned thread. You were complaining about why the establishment would bring in straight guys to work there. Hence, I repeat my question: Why on earth would you want to go Stock when you know full well many of the dancers are straight? You were the one making the fuss about straight guys at gay clubs. Why would you have any interest at all in Kobe?....he's straight! Do yourself a favor and hang out at Taboo during your trip. You will be much happier there.

You were most certainly referring to the sexual persuasion of the dancers at Stock in the aforementioned thread. You were complaining about why the establishment would bring in straight guys to work there. Hence, I repeat my question: Why on earth would you want to go Stock when you know full well many of the dancers are straight? You were the one making the fuss about straight guys at gay clubs. Why would you have any interest at all in Kobe?....he's straight! Do yourself a favor and hang out at Taboo during your trip. You will be much happier there.

It was a discussion about hiring practices of the clubs. Gtk about Kobe - thanks - that's why i was asking.

It was a discussion about hiring practices of the clubs. Gtk about Kobe - thanks - that's why i was asking.

Have you tried using AirBnB? I used it on my first trip to Montreal last year and it was great. I had the one-bedroom apartment all to myself it is like coming home to my own place. It's conveniently located near Stock, Campus and various restaurants and shops. I highly recommend it and sooooo cheap.

Hotel St. Denis was okay. I'd like to find a better place for next time I visit the city

I'm curious to know what you would like to find "better." Location? Amenities? Shower pressure? Cleanliness?

I like the OMNI Mont-Royal 17th floor, but the rooms are pricey around $250 plus tax per night depending on the season.

AirBnB is great if you can find a reliable place with excellent reviews. as each listing is individually owned-and- operated like your local Taco Bell.

Archived