Welcome back Message Center

duke37
This topic is 6904 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, your response was respectful and I do appreciate it. Obviously, we differ in our opinions here. I understand that there people who were upset over actions Deej took. From my point of view, I think that anyone who volunteers to help keep things like the Message Center open -- for years -- deserves a hell of a lot of latitude when he or she makes a mistake.

You and others may have thought Deej treated you badly. Perhaps he did. I didn't see that but I wasn't on the receiving end of anything. I've gotten pissed in the past when my threads of mine were moved, so I can understand people getting angry.

But we're supposed to be adults. And we're part of a community of sorts. Even if Deej did screw up, and if he did multiple times (which I'm postulating only for the sake of the argument), I don't think he deserved the kind of nuclear response that was sent his way.

I mean, I've liked BofN for a long time. We've disagreed before but he's always seemed like one of the good guys. I used to call him 7of9 because "BofN" always reminded me of "7of9". But I think his actions in revealing personal information about Deej -- including his car (and, I think, his license!) -- were completely, absolutely unforgiveable.

There's got to be some kind of a sense of perspective here. Even if we all disagree vehemently on some issue, at the end of the day this is just a message board and we're supposed to be here to have fun and share some information. What BofN did to Deej could actually result in physical harm to Deej. The information he posted would allow someone to potentially find Deej. We all know there are lots of crazy people who scan the Internet and an awful lot of them are no friends to gay people at all.

So suppose one of these crazy guys went out, found Deej and did him physical harm. Do you actually think that his actions as a moderator on a message board should result in physical harm to him? Or even the threat or possibility of such a thing? Anyone who thinks that has lost all sense of perspective and really, seriously needs to rethink his participation here. There is no way you or anyone else could begin to persuade me to the contrary that these kinds of action are reasonable in any sense of that word.

This is a message board. We're here to have fun. If it's not fun, go find another board that is or go do something else. But taking measures to the extent they were taken is, in my opinion, seriously screwed up behavior.

And I'll say it one more time: Deej was a good friend to all of us on many occasions. He and the other moderators have stood up for this board and helped make it run for years and years, with no thanks at all but a whole lot of shit sent their way. So what if he was having a really bad week and did screw up? Did any of you stop to question why someone might be taking actions you didn't like? Did you stop to think that maybe there was some underlying reason? Or a reason completely not connected to M4M? Or even that there was an opposing point of view that differed from your own but was, in fact, equally valid?

We agree to disagree with people all day long. It's the only way to get through the day for most of us. We don't run through our lives having everyone bow in front of us. Smart, good people disagree with us on many, many issues. And that's true no matter who we are. Deej is a smart, good guy. He thought he was doing the right thing. You and the guys who agree with you didn't. But instead of agreeing to disagree, realizing this is ultimately all of little importance to any of us, you had to try to destroy Deej. You saw him as evil incarnate and tried to destroy him.

Well, in some ways, you succeeded. I hope you all feel like real big men about it. Beating up some guy who was trying to help a message center run. Who, if you asked a hundred people here, would probably have about 90 out of hundred saying his actions were entirely justified.

The arrogance with which BofN could decide to try to destroy Deej in such a public manner is appalling. Truly appalling.

BG

Yes, your response was respectful and I do appreciate it. Obviously, we differ in our opinions here. I understand that there people who were upset over actions Deej took. From my point of view, I think that anyone who volunteers to help keep things like the Message Center open -- for years -- deserves a hell of a lot of latitude when he or she makes a mistake.

You and others may have thought Deej treated you badly. Perhaps he did. I didn't see that but I wasn't on the receiving end of anything. I've gotten pissed in the past when my threads of mine were moved, so I can understand people getting angry.

But we're supposed to be adults. And we're part of a community of sorts. Even if Deej did screw up, and if he did multiple times (which I'm postulating only for the sake of the argument), I don't think he deserved the kind of nuclear response that was sent his way.

I mean, I've liked BofN for a long time. We've disagreed before but he's always seemed like one of the good guys. I used to call him 7of9 because "BofN" always reminded me of "7of9". But I think his actions in revealing personal information about Deej -- including his car (and, I think, his license!) -- were completely, absolutely unforgiveable.

There's got to be some kind of a sense of perspective here. Even if we all disagree vehemently on some issue, at the end of the day this is just a message board and we're supposed to be here to have fun and share some information. What BofN did to Deej could actually result in physical harm to Deej. The information he posted would allow someone to potentially find Deej. We all know there are lots of crazy people who scan the Internet and an awful lot of them are no friends to gay people at all.

So suppose one of these crazy guys went out, found Deej and did him physical harm. Do you actually think that his actions as a moderator on a message board should result in physical harm to him? Or even the threat or possibility of such a thing? Anyone who thinks that has lost all sense of perspective and really, seriously needs to rethink his participation here. There is no way you or anyone else could begin to persuade me to the contrary that these kinds of action are reasonable in any sense of that word.

This is a message board. We're here to have fun. If it's not fun, go find another board that is or go do something else. But taking measures to the extent they were taken is, in my opinion, seriously screwed up behavior.

And I'll say it one more time: Deej was a good friend to all of us on many occasions. He and the other moderators have stood up for this board and helped make it run for years and years, with no thanks at all but a whole lot of shit sent their way. So what if he was having a really bad week and did screw up? Did any of you stop to question why someone might be taking actions you didn't like? Did you stop to think that maybe there was some underlying reason? Or a reason completely not connected to M4M? Or even that there was an opposing point of view that differed from your own but was, in fact, equally valid?

We agree to disagree with people all day long. It's the only way to get through the day for most of us. We don't run through our lives having everyone bow in front of us. Smart, good people disagree with us on many, many issues. And that's true no matter who we are. Deej is a smart, good guy. He thought he was doing the right thing. You and the guys who agree with you didn't. But instead of agreeing to disagree, realizing this is ultimately all of little importance to any of us, you had to try to destroy Deej. You saw him as evil incarnate and tried to destroy him.

Well, in some ways, you succeeded. I hope you all feel like real big men about it. Beating up some guy who was trying to help a message center run. Who, if you asked a hundred people here, would probably have about 90 out of hundred saying his actions were entirely justified.

The arrogance with which BofN could decide to try to destroy Deej in such a public manner is appalling. Truly appalling.

BG

>Well, in some ways, you succeeded.

Actually, not at all. I'm just taking a vacation.

Every other moderator has had breaks from time to time. Daddy goes out of focus for months at a time earning a living. Barry took a year off at some point. I'm the only moderator from the original crew that's been here 7 days/week for 5 years without a break. So I'm taking one.

Anyone who wants to lie about it or speculate about it will (or has already) anyway but I thought I'd set the record straight, as it were.

I appreciate your kind words, BG, but you're engaging in what Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only outcomes are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

>Well, in some ways, you succeeded.

Actually, not at all. I'm just taking a vacation.

Every other moderator has had breaks from time to time. Daddy goes out of focus for months at a time earning a living. Barry took a year off at some point. I'm the only moderator from the original crew that's been here 7 days/week for 5 years without a break. So I'm taking one.

Anyone who wants to lie about it or speculate about it will (or has already) anyway but I thought I'd set the record straight, as it were.

I appreciate your kind words, BG, but you're engaging in what Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only outcomes are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

>I appreciate your kind words, BG, but you're engaging in what

>Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only outcomes

>are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

Is it consistent with the new Civility Rules to call another poster here a "pig," as Deej just did?

I was getting all ready to participate here with a new mindset and a new outlook - one where we can express disagreement with the statements and opinions of our fellow members without disparaging the person in any way. I wholeheartedly endorse this new approach and believe that we all have the solemn responsibility to police ourselves and each other to ensure comportment with these behavioral standards.

And yet, just as I was about to post, I see this vicious personal attack by Deej, calling ChgoBoy a "pig" - apparently because Deej disagreed with the views expressed (respectfully, according to BostonGuy) by ChgoBoy - and I feel the harmonious mood has been ruined.

Can one of the moderators kindly do something about this rule violation? I will be sure to alert you with the alert button.

Thank you, gentleman, for your time you've devoted to reading my remarks here this evening.

I bid each of you a good night.

Is it consistent with the new Civility Rules to call another poster here a "pig," as Deej just did?

I was getting all ready to participate here with a new mindset and a new outlook - one where we can express disagreement with the statements and opinions of our fellow members without disparaging the person in any way. I wholeheartedly endorse this new approach and believe that we all have the solemn responsibility to police ourselves and each other to ensure comportment with these behavioral standards.

And yet, just as I was about to post, I see this vicious personal attack by Deej, calling ChgoBoy a "pig" - apparently because Deej disagreed with the views expressed (respectfully, according to BostonGuy) by ChgoBoy - and I feel the harmonious mood has been ruined.

Can one of the moderators kindly do something about this rule violation? I will be sure to alert you with the alert button.

Thank you, gentleman, for your time you've devoted to reading my remarks here this evening.

I bid each of you a good night.

Deej,

Glad to hear you're ok. :-)

But I differ on the discussion. Nobody is totally evil (except perhaps for one or two of my former boyfriends). Beware of Nick has had a long tenure here and has shown many times that he acts on principle and has great tenacity.

As I've said above, I think what he did was seriously, seriously wrong and virtually unforgiveable. If we grant each other nothing else here, we should grant each other the right to be able to come here in peace, without fear of public exposure.

But they took actions that they seriously thought were right. They were acting on principle as they saw it. I don't agree with their judgment on this at all. And I doubt many others do, either (but I might be wrong). When it comes down to freedom of expression on the Internet vs. personal safety, I think most of would say that personal safety trumps expression every time.

But not everyone would. We talk about all of kinds of things here, most of which are pretty inconsequential. We're just coming back after a huge blowup in which the participants on both sides thought they had right on their side. I think it's a mistake to just ignore it -- like the proverbial elephant in the room.

We should be able to discuss this and, as I said above, agree to disagree. I doubt we'll come to a consensus. But maybe each side can understand the other a little better. If so, I think that's a good thing. And I am willing to listen to whatever they have to say with an open mind.

BG

Deej,

Glad to hear you're ok. :-)

But I differ on the discussion. Nobody is totally evil (except perhaps for one or two of my former boyfriends). Beware of Nick has had a long tenure here and has shown many times that he acts on principle and has great tenacity.

As I've said above, I think what he did was seriously, seriously wrong and virtually unforgiveable. If we grant each other nothing else here, we should grant each other the right to be able to come here in peace, without fear of public exposure.

But they took actions that they seriously thought were right. They were acting on principle as they saw it. I don't agree with their judgment on this at all. And I doubt many others do, either (but I might be wrong). When it comes down to freedom of expression on the Internet vs. personal safety, I think most of would say that personal safety trumps expression every time.

But not everyone would. We talk about all of kinds of things here, most of which are pretty inconsequential. We're just coming back after a huge blowup in which the participants on both sides thought they had right on their side. I think it's a mistake to just ignore it -- like the proverbial elephant in the room.

We should be able to discuss this and, as I said above, agree to disagree. I doubt we'll come to a consensus. But maybe each side can understand the other a little better. If so, I think that's a good thing. And I am willing to listen to whatever they have to say with an open mind.

BG

Guest ChgoBoy

This is a clear and perfect example of how a moderator can destroy a site's new beginning in two hateful sentences. This is the major reason why so many people have hatred and distain for deej. He is incapable of communicating with human beings in a civil manner. His behavior is one of an idiot, he just can't learn from his past mistakes. I won't engage the alert key to advice a monitor I have been personally attacked by a staff member, I think Doug made it clear is his post.

Guest ChgoBoy

This is a clear and perfect example of how a moderator can destroy a site's new beginning in two hateful sentences. This is the major reason why so many people have hatred and distain for deej. He is incapable of communicating with human beings in a civil manner. His behavior is one of an idiot, he just can't learn from his past mistakes. I won't engage the alert key to advice a monitor I have been personally attacked by a staff member, I think Doug made it clear is his post.

Was he Really A Pig????

what Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only

>outcomes are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

Some how I don't read this that Deej called anyone a pig. I am not defending him but appreciate him most of the time. He was quoting HB and talked about the outcome of that. If that calls him a PIG then I am a pigskin. HUGS Chuck Let's not get down in the dirt with the PIGS Please. HUGS

Was he Really A Pig????

what Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only

>outcomes are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

Some how I don't read this that Deej called anyone a pig. I am not defending him but appreciate him most of the time. He was quoting HB and talked about the outcome of that. If that calls him a PIG then I am a pigskin. HUGS Chuck Let's not get down in the dirt with the PIGS Please. HUGS

>>I appreciate your kind words, BG, but you're engaging in

>what

>>Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only

>outcomes

>>are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

>This is a clear and perfect example of how a moderator can

>destroy a site's new beginning in two hateful sentences. This

>is the major reason why so many people have hatred and distain

>for deej. He is incapable of communicating with human beings

>in a civil manner.

Well, no, it is not because deej is incapable of being civil that I have always had hatred and disdain for him. His habitual incivility doesn't really distinguish him from scads of others here with whom I have no problem at all. The reason I have always had hatred and disdain for him is that he is incapable of being civil AND YET he still thinks himself fit to lecture others about their behavior whenever the mood is on him. Such self-righteous hypocrisy is truly deserving of hatred and disdain in my view.

BG, I certainly appreciate your remark about considering the reasons why people might do something we don't like. But the remark is out of place in a discussion of deej because he does not seem to grant others such consideration. It's always been remarkable to me how often gay men who complain endlessly of the intolerance of others display intolerance themselves, and someone whose invariable response to any criticism of how he does his (totally voluntary) job is "Fuck you!" or words to that effect exemplifies intolerance at its worst. Does that sound like anyone we know?

>>I appreciate your kind words, BG, but you're engaging in

>what

>>Hooboy used to call "wrestling with pigs" -- the only

>outcomes

>>are you get dirty and the pig enjoys it. ;-)

>This is a clear and perfect example of how a moderator can

>destroy a site's new beginning in two hateful sentences. This

>is the major reason why so many people have hatred and distain

>for deej. He is incapable of communicating with human beings

>in a civil manner.

Well, no, it is not because deej is incapable of being civil that I have always had hatred and disdain for him. His habitual incivility doesn't really distinguish him from scads of others here with whom I have no problem at all. The reason I have always had hatred and disdain for him is that he is incapable of being civil AND YET he still thinks himself fit to lecture others about their behavior whenever the mood is on him. Such self-righteous hypocrisy is truly deserving of hatred and disdain in my view.

BG, I certainly appreciate your remark about considering the reasons why people might do something we don't like. But the remark is out of place in a discussion of deej because he does not seem to grant others such consideration. It's always been remarkable to me how often gay men who complain endlessly of the intolerance of others display intolerance themselves, and someone whose invariable response to any criticism of how he does his (totally voluntary) job is "Fuck you!" or words to that effect exemplifies intolerance at its worst. Does that sound like anyone we know?

Woodlawn,

People are constantly doing things that we don't like or don't approve of. Get any three people around the world talking about politics and lots of examples are going to jump out at you in the first few minutes.

Very often, people on both sides of an issue will believe passionately that they are correct and that right and morality is with them. We see this in the US today with the various struggles between the Republicans and the Democrats; both sides are certain they are right.

But it would seem that both cannot be right. And I'm just as guilty as anyone else of thinking that someone who doesn't agree with me must be wrong. But lots of time people are simply seeing or defining the issue or question at hand differently. When you get people actually talking about what they believe and why they believe it -- and, yes, listening to what the other side has to say -- some commonality will often emerge. Or at least some kind of understanding. Instead of shouting, it's usually better to listen.

I think that's especially true when passions are high or when people are aggressively characterizing the other side as hateful, intolerant, or acting out of some insidious intent. We often forget that the other guy can be just as good as us, just as smart, just as passionate, and hold opinions that are just as defensible as our own and maybe believed in by just as many people as believe in our position. Today, there's so much of the "take no prisoners" kind of discussion which, of course, isn't a discussion at all. It's Crossfire, up close and personal.

So I cannot agree with your statement. No matter the subject, I think it's always worthwhile to listen to someone who disagrees with us. It's really one of the only ways to learn if our own positions and opinions are as solid as we think. And if they are, we don't have anything to fear from putting them out for the world to see and letting people poke holes in them.

Finally, I'd suggest kindly that hatred is an awfully strong emotion to attach to someone who moderates a message board. I'd be surprised if you said you were in love with Deej or Barry or Cooper. Similarly, it seems an unlikely target for something so strong as hatred. It's just a message board. Life goes on no matter what happens here.

Regards,

BG

Woodlawn,

People are constantly doing things that we don't like or don't approve of. Get any three people around the world talking about politics and lots of examples are going to jump out at you in the first few minutes.

Very often, people on both sides of an issue will believe passionately that they are correct and that right and morality is with them. We see this in the US today with the various struggles between the Republicans and the Democrats; both sides are certain they are right.

But it would seem that both cannot be right. And I'm just as guilty as anyone else of thinking that someone who doesn't agree with me must be wrong. But lots of time people are simply seeing or defining the issue or question at hand differently. When you get people actually talking about what they believe and why they believe it -- and, yes, listening to what the other side has to say -- some commonality will often emerge. Or at least some kind of understanding. Instead of shouting, it's usually better to listen.

I think that's especially true when passions are high or when people are aggressively characterizing the other side as hateful, intolerant, or acting out of some insidious intent. We often forget that the other guy can be just as good as us, just as smart, just as passionate, and hold opinions that are just as defensible as our own and maybe believed in by just as many people as believe in our position. Today, there's so much of the "take no prisoners" kind of discussion which, of course, isn't a discussion at all. It's Crossfire, up close and personal.

So I cannot agree with your statement. No matter the subject, I think it's always worthwhile to listen to someone who disagrees with us. It's really one of the only ways to learn if our own positions and opinions are as solid as we think. And if they are, we don't have anything to fear from putting them out for the world to see and letting people poke holes in them.

Finally, I'd suggest kindly that hatred is an awfully strong emotion to attach to someone who moderates a message board. I'd be surprised if you said you were in love with Deej or Barry or Cooper. Similarly, it seems an unlikely target for something so strong as hatred. It's just a message board. Life goes on no matter what happens here.

Regards,

BG

Guys, Something wierd just happened. Three posts, two by ChgoBoy and One by me just got deleted and they showed up as "Deleted". Now they are just gone.

I've just run an analysis on the Database and it show nothing out of the ordinary. Please hold on while I go look through the logs.

Guys, Something wierd just happened. Three posts, two by ChgoBoy and One by me just got deleted and they showed up as "Deleted". Now they are just gone.

I've just run an analysis on the Database and it show nothing out of the ordinary. Please hold on while I go look through the logs.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Great post BG.

So much said that I agree with. However, I'll limit myself to few points for further comment.

>But I think his actions in revealing personal

>information about Deej -- including his car (and, I think, his

>license!) -- were completely, absolutely unforgiveable.

>

I agree. Isn't this the mark of the ultimate pariah on an anonymous message board? If not this then what? You made a sterling case for the potential fallout with what if''s.

>And I'll say it one more time: Deej was a good friend to all

>of us on many occasions. He and the other moderators have

>stood up for this board and helped make it run for years and

>years, with no thanks at all but a whole lot of shit sent

>their way. So what if he was having a really bad week and did

>screw up? Did any of you stop to question why someone might

>be taking actions you didn't like? Did you stop to think that

>maybe there was some underlying reason? Or a reason

>completely not connected to M4M? Or even that there was an

>opposing point of view that differed from your own but was, in

>fact, equally valid?

Bravo!! We ALL owe deej a debt for which he has never sought credit. IMO he is one reason, or maybe voice of reason would be better, that kept the message board alive. I have good reason to believe that HooBoy was ready to flush it on at least one occasion, maybe more. Deej was one of the calming voices that helped HB weather those rough seas at the time.

Deej has feet of clay as we all do. He made mistakes on occasions. Overreacted on others. BTW, he's not the only one here who has done that. He is human. However, I believe that he had the best interest of the site in mind and only wandered when emotion got the better of him. He never stooped to revealing personal information, although I suspect he had the opportunity if he wanted. I wish deej well and hope that he continues here on either or both sides of the curtain.

>The arrogance with which BofN could decide to try to destroy

>Deej in such a public manner is appalling. Truly appalling.

In all honesty, I very much appreciate the sentiment but I think this is an understatement. This probably is the greatest infringement that one can commit on a site of this type IMO, potentially putting at risk helath, life. and property. I suspect that any number of others would agree, even some of those not listed in deej's camp.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Great post BG.

So much said that I agree with. However, I'll limit myself to few points for further comment.

>But I think his actions in revealing personal

>information about Deej -- including his car (and, I think, his

>license!) -- were completely, absolutely unforgiveable.

>

I agree. Isn't this the mark of the ultimate pariah on an anonymous message board? If not this then what? You made a sterling case for the potential fallout with what if''s.

>And I'll say it one more time: Deej was a good friend to all

>of us on many occasions. He and the other moderators have

>stood up for this board and helped make it run for years and

>years, with no thanks at all but a whole lot of shit sent

>their way. So what if he was having a really bad week and did

>screw up? Did any of you stop to question why someone might

>be taking actions you didn't like? Did you stop to think that

>maybe there was some underlying reason? Or a reason

>completely not connected to M4M? Or even that there was an

>opposing point of view that differed from your own but was, in

>fact, equally valid?

Bravo!! We ALL owe deej a debt for which he has never sought credit. IMO he is one reason, or maybe voice of reason would be better, that kept the message board alive. I have good reason to believe that HooBoy was ready to flush it on at least one occasion, maybe more. Deej was one of the calming voices that helped HB weather those rough seas at the time.

Deej has feet of clay as we all do. He made mistakes on occasions. Overreacted on others. BTW, he's not the only one here who has done that. He is human. However, I believe that he had the best interest of the site in mind and only wandered when emotion got the better of him. He never stooped to revealing personal information, although I suspect he had the opportunity if he wanted. I wish deej well and hope that he continues here on either or both sides of the curtain.

>The arrogance with which BofN could decide to try to destroy

>Deej in such a public manner is appalling. Truly appalling.

In all honesty, I very much appreciate the sentiment but I think this is an understatement. This probably is the greatest infringement that one can commit on a site of this type IMO, potentially putting at risk helath, life. and property. I suspect that any number of others would agree, even some of those not listed in deej's camp.

>Guys, Something wierd just happened. Three posts, two by

>ChgoBoy and One by me just got deleted and they showed up as

>"Deleted". Now they are just gone.

Maybe the forum software read BG's newly written rules and decided to enforce those rules on its own by deleting posts it deemed to be in violation, and your post and ChgoBoy's 2 posts were its first victims.

How fucking aweswome and hilarious would that be? Come to think of it, I think that having non-humans enforce censorship codes is the only way they can ever be enforced fairly and objectively. Human beings, even those with the best intentions, will always be influenced by who is doing the talking (and about whom), rather than assessing the content of what is said without regard to anything else.

Archived