Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1894 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4th viewing. I'm officially obsessed. This time I noticed how quiet the audience was during the love scenes especially during the midnight lovemaking. Except these two guys in front of me who were derisively laughing and whispering during the early making out scenes and finally walking out during the midnight scene. Didn't they have any idea what type of movie they were going to see?Presumably, they were straight and/or conservative (and Republican?) Has anybody else seen any negative reaction or walkouts?

Edited by tchm

My 4th viewing. I'm officially obsessed. This time I noticed how quiet the audience was during the love scenes especially during the midnight lovemaking. Except these two guys in front of me who were derisively laughing and whispering during the early making out scenes and finally walking out during the midnight scene. Didn't they have any idea what type of movie they were going to see?Presumably, they were straight and/or conservative (and Republican?) Has anybody else seen any negative reaction or walkouts?

Careful guys. There's a bunch of us in the hinterlands who won’t get a chance to see CMBYN for another week or two or maybe longer if we have to travel to catch it in a larger city.

Love the "Mystery of Love" video. The museum shots are interesting. Would love to know their backstory. If they were shot for the film, they did not make the cut.

For those who haven't seen the movie yet, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with Sufjan Stevens' lyrics to the songs used. The music has a greater impact if you know the lyrics.

Also, I saw the film in two different theaters. The second theater's sound system was not as good as the first, and certain key words in the script were inaudible. I was not happy about that. Sometimes, the dialogue is a bit too discreet in this film. I wasn't expecting a theater's sound system to be that important. I won't make that mistake when I see it again.

This may have been posted already:

Edited by rogerG

I got a bit giddy when I heard Armie Hammer was making a film about a gay love story. I then read the book and my interest increased exponentially. I was really taken with the immediacy of the language of longing and infatuation. I recognized so much of my own early life experience, the agony/ecstacy, the idealization of a guy beyond all reason, usually totally unavailable. I also remember in the few cases where a crush led to some fulfillment the shame and need for isolation Elio feels after the first night. I am in my 70's now, still closeted, and the film stirs up a lot of old stuff, but in a really lovely way. The upshot is that I have a mostly pleasurable intense crush on Armie/Oliver. I haven't had one in a long time and I am loving hearing Hammers beautifully masculine voice going through Elio's erotic longing for Oliver.

It is a wonderful visitation from my youth, however bittersweet!

I got a bit giddy when I heard Armie Hammer was making a film about a gay love story. I then read the book and my interest increased exponentially. I was really taken with the immediacy of the language of longing and infatuation. I recognized so much of my own early life experience, the agony/ecstacy, the idealization of a guy beyond all reason, usually totally unavailable. I also remember in the few cases where a crush led to some fulfillment the shame and need for isolation Elio feels after the first night. I am in my 70's now, still closeted, and the film stirs up a lot of old stuff, but in a really lovely way. The upshot is that I have a mostly pleasurable intense crush on Armie/Oliver. I haven't had one in a long time and I am loving hearing Hammers beautifully masculine voice going through Elio's erotic longing for Oliver.

It is a wonderful visitation from my youth, however bittersweet!

The audiobook is a must have then, for you. Armie Hammer is great.

I enjoyed CMBYN more the 2nd time. I thought about my initial reaction last summer, that it didn't bowl me over. Perhaps I'd been too influenced by the book, so I altered my expectations ahead of my second viewing, which seemed to help. I also watched James Ivory's Maurice last night which helped align my anticipation for seeing CMBYN this morning.

This time I really saw Oliver's love and joy and how he was consumed with Elio during their passionate moments. Elio seemed to be all aboard, climbing, almost scrambling into Oliver's arms.

For me the music was good. Ravel was sampled twice. Lovely. I'm a Sufjan Stevens fan. I especially like how his Visions of Gideon was sampled in the middle as a foreshadowing, and then the entire piece came at us with that ending. The other two songs by Stevens worked really well for me. His Futile Devices got me a little choked up this time. Mystery of Love ought to get the Oscar for best song. Would love seeing Stevens accept, and I imagine the clever, funny things he might say. He is quite a unique fellow.

I'll certainly see CMBYN a third time.

Lastly, please don't rush out during the ending credits. You'll break Luca's heart and miss some of the best of it.

Maybe I need to see CMBYN again.

I had been waiting impatiently since I first saw the trailer almost a year ago. I searched for every single snippet I could find. I longed to see this film. I sent that cunt who wrote a hit piece on Armie Hammer an email to ask her why she felt compelled to attack someone who it seemed had finally found his breakthrough role (the bitch was dumb enough to respond. I have a series of emails back and forth with her, but that's another story).

Then I saw the film. I'm sorry to say that although it left me with many images in my head, it was a big disappointment. First and foremost, the editing was choppy, really choppy, and the first hour dragged on and on. Second, they pulled way too many punches. Specifically, the first time the pair made love, the camera panned out to the trees. Really? Is this 1934 and the Production Code is in place? The parties involved in the making of this film can say what they will about not wanting to "intrude" on the lovers, but I, and I suspect many others actually want to see the passion. Then there was the peach. Let's just say that they pulled a big punch here.

As for the chemistry between the duo, it was great. Armie Hammer is totally dreamy, and yet he was unconvincing both as a scholar and as a passionate lover. The pivotal scene by the WWI memorial was stilted. It looked like rehearsal footage and appeared to come out of nowhere.

Finally, the monologue by the father at the end was pure 2017. Sorry, I don't care how liberal, academic, European, etc., the father was. Parents just didn't talk like that to their gay kids back in the 80's. The father speaks with the enlightened words of a modern open-minded, loving parent.

That being said, the film still haunts me. Maybe a second viewing, once it comes out on streaming services, will change my mind. I hope so because I REALLY wanted to love this film.

Edited by JBrian72

@JBrian72

Interesting thoughts. Perhaps you should see it again, after you see some interviews with the director on YouTube.

I did not know much about this film before I saw it. Almost nothing. I can see how hype could possibly negate the film's impact. IMO, the film is somewhat discreet.

Most film goers complain if a movie is over 2 hours, no matter what the film's subject. This info is in well-known stats. Many people complained about "slow" when they criticized Brokeback Mountain. It's not easy to cram or convey a coming of age love story, a story that takes place over six weeks one summer, into 2 hours. In the book, it took Elio some time to face the truth about his feelings for Oliver. I loved the director's slow build up to this, and I would have been perfectly fine to have every detail last longer. To each his own.

I saw the NY Times' director-cut of the WWI scene before I had seen the film, and I thought, "This is it?" Then when I finally saw the film, I got it. It's a very special moment, the director explains his motives, and I love that scene more and more.

Armie Hammer is a bonafide straight-male movie star with a team of high-powered Hollywood people handling his career. Imagine what it must be like to convince him and all the members of his team, not to mention his family, to perform explicit love scenes, however you wish to define explicit, with another man on movie screens around the world. At some point, one has to praise the director for every single detail he was able to capture, not to mention casting Armie in the first place and convincing him to do it, no matter how many gay men will complain it wasn't enough.

In interviews, the director is quite clear about the sensual role the scenery plays in the film. Swaying erect trees dropping juicy peaches. He expressed little interest in filming actual sex scenes.

It was believed the peach scene would never make the cut. But then they shot it, and the director was happy. The scene directly after the peach scene (when Oliver joins sleeping Elio in the attic bed) is one of my favorites. I can't imagine this film without these two scenes.

I had Jewish gay friends in the 1980's who came from academic families. Some dad's were that enlightened. It was not the norm, and nor is it the norm now.

Most of the father's dialogue was pulled from the book. Most of the action in the film is also pulled from the book. Maybe you wished they made a different movie? I suggest you see it again and look a little deeper.

Armie Hammer is a bonafide straight-male movie star with a team of high-powered Hollywood people handling his career. Imagine what it must be like to convince him and all the members of his team, not to mention his family, to perform explicit love scenes, however you wish to define explicit, with another man on movie screens around the world. At some point, one has to praise the director for every single detail he was able to capture, not to mention casting Armie in the first place and convincing him to do it, no matter how many gay men will complain it wasn't enough.

This was actually about the 10th time his handlers tried to transform Armie Hammer into a movie star. A dime-a-dozen pretty boy with minimal skills attempting the sow’s ear into silk purse thing.

Since his dual role in 2010 “Social Network,” essentially a stunt, he’s been in bomb after bomb, turd after turd. After the colossal Lone Ranger disaster — Disney lost more than $175 million! — most any other such actor would disappear into the Hollywood swamp. But Armie is a handsome, very rich white guy...so he keeps getting chances. (What a surprise!) I suspect it didn’t take much “convincing” to get him to take the role.

I also expect that if Armie doesn’t win a supporting Oscar for “Name,” it’ll be back to the minors. And if he does win, he’ll become a B-movie staple.

This was actually about the 10th time his handlers tried to transform Armie Hammer into a movie star. A dime-a-dozen pretty boy with minimal skills attempting the sow’s ear into silk purse thing.

Since his dual role in 2010 “Social Network,” essentially a stunt, he’s been in bomb after bomb, turd after turd. After the colossal Lone Ranger disaster — Disney lost more than $175 million! — most any other such actor would disappear into the Hollywood swamp. But Armie is a handsome, very rich white guy...so he keeps getting chances. (What a surprise!) I suspect it didn’t take much “convincing” to get him to take the role.

I also expect that if Armie doesn’t win a supporting Oscar for “Name,” it’ll be back to the minors. And if he does win, he’ll become a B-movie staple.

Judging from your avatar Hammer seems to be everything you would like to be (but aren't?). Sour grapes?

Not sure if he is all that rich based on some of his comments, although I used to assume he was.

For sure Hammer will appear in the sequel to CMBYN. He is in the cast of a number of films coming out in the next year or two, The Ruth Bader Ginsburg movie looks interesting.

Guadagnino liked Hammer well enough, and especially liked him in Social Network. His looks certainly help, but he is a smart guy for sure. Not just a pretty face.

I had been waiting impatiently since I first saw the trailer almost a year ago. I searched for every single snippet I could find. I longed to see this film. I sent that cunt who wrote a hit piece on Armie Hammer an email to ask her why she felt compelled to attack someone who it seemed had finally found his breakthrough role (the bitch was dumb enough to respond. I have a series of emails back and forth with her, but that's another story).

Then I saw the film. I'm sorry to say that although it left me with many images in my head, it was a big disappointment. First and foremost, the editing was choppy, really choppy, and the first hour dragged on and on. Second, they pulled way too many punches. Specifically, the first time the pair made love, the camera panned out to the trees. Really? Is this 1934 and the Production Code is in place? The parties involved in the making of this film can say what they will about not wanting to "intrude" on the lovers, but I, and I suspect many others actually want to see the passion. Then there was the peach. Let's just say that they pulled a big punch here.

As for the chemistry between the duo, it was great. Armie Hammer is totally dreamy, and yet he was unconvincing both as a scholar and as a passionate lover. The pivotal scene by the WWI memorial was stilted. It looked like rehearsal footage and appeared to come out of nowhere.

Finally, the monologue by the father at the end was pure 2017. Sorry, I don't care how liberal, academic, European, etc., the father was. Parents just didn't talk like that to their gay kids back in the 80's. The father speaks with the enlightened words of a modern open-minded, loving parent.

That being said, the film still haunts me. Maybe a second viewing, once it comes out on streaming services, will change my mind. I hope so because I REALLY wanted to love this film.

I also believe you should see it again.

My take on the later scene with the father was an awareness of the affection that burned in Elio's heart, and not that the father assumed Elio self-identified as gay, just that the father admits how he himself and many other males experience that desire for a friend. But that gets into the idea of bisexuality which so many guys refuse to admit is real, including many on this forum. Aciman intended that it is real, that bisexual feelings should not be shut out. He has said so. He is a straight dude with 3 very nice looking sons. :D

For me what was more important was the prior scene where the parents remind the clock is ticking and how Elio shouldn't waste time if he was looking to be friends with Oliver, and then punctuated it with if there is anything you want to talk about Elio you know you can always talk about anything with us. The father calls him Elly Belly then which paints such a loving picture, how they treasure their son above other things like stigma. Sure this all might seem unrealistic but after all, the book is a work of fiction, and is merely for entertainment, as is the movie. There likely has never been a young man like Elio Perlman.

As far as Hammer not being dynamic enough, Oliver is supposed to be restrained as a character. It's Elio that is supposed to go for it, and Chalamet is pretty convincing with that. Check out the scene where Oliver kisses Elio's foot, the look in Chalamet's face. He is quite convincing.

http://qqp9u102slh1hz2aq2e5ig91-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CMBYN-best-scenes-part-1-2.1.jpg

Edited by OCClient

After the colossal Lone Ranger disaster — Disney lost more than $175 million!

I don't believe Armie is to blame.

But Armie is a handsome, very rich white guy...so he keeps getting chances.

He's also tall and blonde with low hangers. Some guys do seem to have all the luck.

I suspect it didn’t take much “convincing” to get him to take the role.

Would have loved to have had an ear on the conversations Hammer had with the director.

My view is much less cynical. While crucial, I don't think Armie's performance as Oliver is Oscar worthy. The acting awards belong to Timothée Chalamet.

Armie's taking the role of Oliver is/was very brave. And he made it work with great results. He says playing this character had a profound effect on his craft. I'm looking forward to seeing his work in the future.

I don't believe Armie is to blame.

Doesn't really matter whether he is "to blame" or not. That film was meant to launch a franchise. Oops. Then "The Man from UNCLE" was meant to launch a franchise. Oops. And on top of all the other mediocrity he's been in, it also doesn't count as cynical to say: If Armie was black, Asian, female, or Other, his movie career would be long over.

Maybe it's his affection for BDSM that keeps it going?

This Buzzfeed story from last year ponders the conundrum:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/ten-long-years-of-trying-to-make-armie-hammer-happen?utm_term=.umGxxoKxl#.wnYEEgdEY

Agree!

Yes it is brave!

For example, Hammer discussed what his daughter might go through in school, especially with Ivory's initial plan for nudity, that the idea of bullying in school is so much in the forefront, and Hammer's concern how pictures will get downloaded and passed around at his daughter's school. It's not fair, but it's real, what actors might face playing this kind of part. Sucks that critics want to use him for target practice now. Serves little purpose.

Not sure if he is all that rich based on some of his comments, although I used to assume he was.

When Gramps practically owned Occidental Petroleum and you're named for him, while Daddy has his off-shore stash in the Cayman Islands, I'm not worried about the possibility of future homelessness. Even if it's just a perception of huge wealth, in Hollywood, perception means a whole lot.

Yes it is brave!

For example, Hammer discussed what his daughter might go through in school, especially with Ivory's initial plan for nudity, that the idea of bullying in school is so much in the forefront, and Hammer's concern how pictures will get downloaded and passed around at his daughter's school. It's not fair, but it's real, what actors might face playing this kind of part. Sucks that critics want to use him for target practice now. Serves little purpose.

Nonsense. Bullying in school? Hammer's family has done more to encourage bad school behavior than most: His father funds and runs a right-wing evangelical Christian academy. Were Armie's daughter to experience such, surely he could find a few ways to mitigate the damage. Like, being honest, forthright, mature and protective -- you know: a good father.

Nonsense. Bullying in school? Hammer's family has done more to encourage bad school behavior than most: His father funds and runs a right-wing evangelical Christian academy. Were Armie's daughter to experience such, surely he could find a few ways to mitigate the damage. Like, being honest, forthright, mature and protective -- you know: a good father.

He is known to be a good father. How would you know? Now you're just piling on for little reason.

And bullying doesn't occur in academies. Really?

Hammer is half Jewish right? So not sure how much attention I'll pay to your rant. He has admitted not being aligned with the right wing values that keep some of his relatives from seeing the movie.

What @JBrian72 describes is not that unusual since it is simply over-anticipating an event followed by disappointment in the actual event! Certainly, this often happens if someone anticipates something so much that they build up their expectations to such a degree that no matter how excellent the event in question is, it does not measure up to the impossible standard set by their imagination.

As for a certain poster's intense dislike (hatred?) for Armie Hammer, his life, his straight, handsome, leading-man looks, (apparently including the fact that he was born wealthy/privileged, male and Caucasian!) and his up and down career trajectory, I must conclude that though the poster is adamant in his negativity, he is entitled to his opinion. It does appear to be a relatively minority opinion, especially among those of us, who having followed that roller-coaster career, wish Mr. Hammer only success, followed by more intriguing acting roles for him in the future.

Yes, and that's JMHO, too.

TruHart1 :cool:

He is known to be a good father. How would you know? Now you're just piling on for little reason.

And bullying doesn't occur in academies. Really?

Hammer is half Jewish right? So not sure how much attention I'll pay to your rant. He has admitted not being aligned with the right wing values that keep some of his relatives from seeing the movie.

Back at ya:

He is known to be a good father. How would you know?

And indeed, how would you know?

Of course, I never said he wasn't a good father. (I've met him, and he was perfectly cordial, but I don't know him.) His "bully" comment was just silly. ("Maybe a piano will fall on my daughter's head, so we never walk by tall apartment buildings on moving day.")

Hiding children from difficulties is not the same as protecting them. I'm reminded of the idiotic Trump/Melania claim that poor Barron would be scarred for life by seeing Kathy Griffin's decapitated head, as if hiding a crude and tasteless joke would be the way to go. Teaching your kids to come to you for help when -- and if -- they are in distress is preferable to pretending that they can be sealed inside a distress-free zone and that cruel taunts will never happen.

All of which is to say: Armie Hammer has gotten way many more chances to be a movie star than anyone you can think of -- and it's no accident.

As for a certain poster's intense dislike (hatred?) for Armie Hammer, his life, his straight, handsome, leading-man looks, (apparently including the fact that he was born wealthy/privileged, male and Caucasian!) and his up and down career trajectory, I must conclude that though the poster is adamant in his negativity, he is entitled to his opinion. It does appear to be a relatively minority opinion, especially among those of us, who having followed that roller-coaster career, wish Mr. Hammer only success, followed by more intriguing acting roles for him in the future.

I don't "intensely dislike" or "hate" Armie Hammer. I only think he's a mediocre, run-of-the-mill pretty boy who has been able to use certain assets to try to establish a career. And anyone should use anything they've got in that pursuit. That Hollywood responds to this sort of thing is one reason it produces mostly junk. Much of which has featured one Armie Hammer in assorted roles in the last half-dozen years.

Just because you want to jerk off to him in a dark theater is no reason to make false assumptions. I mean, he's no Donnie Osmond.