Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1888 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I went to see it at Union square today. Loved it!!!! I didn’t stay for the end credits and left as Elio was gazing into the fireplace. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened next? Otherwise, I think I will have to return and see it a second time :)

Alas, you missed the shot that will win Chalamet his Oscar...

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see it at Union square today. Loved it!!!! I didn’t stay for the end credits and left as Elio was gazing into the fireplace. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened next? Otherwise, I think I will have to return and see it a second time :)

&&&&&&&&&&& SPOILER &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Guadagnino (and Aciman) were portraying how desire works, the vulnerability that can result, an ultimately pain. The father's talk how nature has cunning ways, though it happened last summer, was the last scene of the summer segment. Immediately after are the holiday scenes, and so it isn't much of a stretch to realize that here it comes, the news from Oliver finally brought the pain Professor Perlman predicted Elio would feel and should embrace and nurture. And so he does, in front of the fire.

The final scene is one take that lasts over 3 minutes. Was well done. Guadagnino said they shot it three times and took the middle try, the first was more stoic and the last even more emotional.

Award shows are such an enigma. I don't get too upset when my favorites are left out, but I do admit disappointment that the Golden Globes left out Sufjan Stevens, Luca Guadagnino and Michael Stuhlbarg this morning.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2018-nominees-full-list-1202634435/

The Golden Globes is dead to me!

Award shows are such an enigma. I don't get too upset when my favorites are left out, but I do admit disappointment that the Golden Globes left out Sufjan Stevens, Luca Guadagnino and Michael Stuhlbarg this morning.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2018-nominees-full-list-1202634435/

Oh my....they snubbed James Ivory as well?

By now it's pretty clear these two costars have sort of a prankster relationship at times, which straight boys are apt to do, but here on the Ellen show one might wonder if they made a bet ahead of time who could touch the other one the most during the show, and that Chalamet probably came up with the idea. If not, they are still pretty cute how they man handle each other in front of Ellen.

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/call-me-by-your-name oliver

Unfortunately here in my podunk Midwestern city, 'Call Me by your Name' isn't scheduled to open until January 19, 2018. :eek: However, after seeing so many of the film festival panels (with Chalamet, Hammer, Stuhlbarg and Guadagnino) where the film played and was universally acclaimed by critics and audiences alike, I bought the book and read it.

Then, finding out that Armie Hammer reads the audio version of the novel, I acquired that, and am now listening to it for the fourth time. I just love the way Armie's voice washes over me and involves me in the story with his expressive voice talents! I will be ready to get to the film just as soon as it finally opens here!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

Australian Academy Announces Nominees for AACTA International Awards

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/call_me_by_your_name_still_10_-_publicity_-_h_2017-1024x576.jpg

http://highlighthollywood.com/2017/12/australian-academy-announces-nominees-for-aacta-international-awards/

"Call Me By Your Name" has received nominations from the AACTA for Best Feature Film; Best Screenplay: James Ivory, Best Director: Luca Guadagnino, Best Leading Actor, Timothée Chalamet, and Best Supporting Actor: Armie Hammer!

Unfortunately here in my podunk Midwestern city, 'Call Me by your Name' isn't scheduled to open until January 19, 2018. :eek: However, after seeing so many of the film festival panels (with Chalamet, Hammer, Stuhlbarg and Guadagnino) where the film played and was universally acclaimed by critics and audiences alike, I bought the book and read it.

Then, finding out that Armie Hammer reads the audio version of the novel, I acquired that, and am now listening to it for the fourth time. I just love the way Armie's voice washes over me and involves me in the story with his expressive voice talents! I will be ready to get to the film just as soon as it finally opens here!!!

I wanted to ask A.H. about the audiobook, but he took no questions from the audience during the Q&A I attended. :-(

I have also listened to it multiple times.

Here, Hunter Harris gives some examples of how good Armie Hammer is in the audiobook.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/just-20-descriptions-of-armie-hammers-voice.html

Some clever person tweeted a terribly poignant video, sort of a SPOILER.

https://twitter.com/georgiemorvis/status/941825787904192512

Edited by OCClient

I love this review, especially how it is devoted to Sufjan Steven's music. I'm more convinced than ever the Golden Globes are ridiculous for ignoring his songs.

...and for ignoring James Ivory's screenplay based on André Aciman's wonderful novel of first love, and Luca Guadagnino's direction, not to mention the truly evocative cinematography and Michael Stuhlbarg's performance as Elio's father!!!

Both of Call Me by Your Name’s Sufjan Stevens Songs Are on the Best Original Song Short List and Now You’re Weeping Again

By Hunter Harris

” No, it’s the Best Original Song Oscar short list! The 70 songs that could score a nomination for Best Original Song have been released, and yes, the Sufjan Stevens songs you’ve been softly weeping to all winter made the cut. Both “Visions of Gideon” (the track that plays over the end credits) and “Mystery of Love” are on the list, plus some other notable original tunes from 2017: “Remember Me” from Coco, “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” from Fifty Shades Darker, plus Mudbound’s “Mighty River.” (Importantly, one of the mouth-breathe-y songs from King Arthur made the cut.) Only one of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul’s songs from The Greatest Showman — “This is Me” — scored a spot on this list. Five of the following songs will be up for the Best Original Song trophy.

• “U.N.I (You And I)” from And the Winner Isn’t
    “Love And Lies” from Band Aid
    “If I Dare” from Battle of the Sexes
    “Evermore” from Beauty and the Beast
    “How Does A Moment Last Forever” from Beauty and the Beast
    “Now Or Never” from Bloodline: Now or Never
    “She” from Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story
    “Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go” from The Book of Henry
    “Buddy’s Business” from Brawl in Cell Block 99
    “The Crown Sleeps” from The Breadwinner
    “World Gone Mad” from Bright
    “Mystery Of Love” from Call Me by Your Name
    “Visions Of Gideon” from Call Me by Your Name
    “Captain Underpants Theme Song” from Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie
    “Ride” from Cars 3
    “Run That Race” from Cars 3
    “Tell Me How Long” from Chasing Coral
    “Broken Wings” from City of Ghosts
    “Remember Me” from Coco
    “Prayers For This World” from Cries from Syria
    “There’s Something Special” from Despicable Me 3
    “It Ain’t Fair” from Detroit
    “A Little Change In The Weather” from Downsizing
    “Stars In My Eyes (Theme From Drawing Home)” from Drawing Home
    “All In My Head” from Elizabeth Blue
    “Dying For Ya” from Elizabeth Blue
    “Green” from Elizabeth Blue
    “Can’t Hold Out On Love” from Father Figures
    “Home” from Ferdinand
    “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” from Fifty Shades Darker
    “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way” from Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool
    “This Is How You Walk On” from Gifted
    “Summer Storm” from The Glass Castle
    “The Pure And The Damned” from Good Time
    “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman
    “The Hero” from The Hero
    “How Shall A Sparrow Fly” from Hostiles
    “Just Getting Started” from If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast
    “Truth To Power” from An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power
    “Next Stop, The Stars” from Kepler’s Dream
    “The Devil & The Huntsman” from King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    “Have You Ever Wondered” from Lake of Fire
    “I’ll Be Gone” from Lake of Fire
    “We’ll Party All Night” from Lake of Fire
    “Friends Are Family” from The Lego Batman Movie
    “Found My Place” from The Lego Ninjago Movie
    “Stand Up For Something” from Marshall
    “Rain” from Mary and the Witch’s Flower
    “Myron/Byron” from The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
    “Longing For Summer” from Moomins and the Winter Wonderland
    “Mighty River” from Mudbound
    “Never Forget” from Murder on the Orient Express
    “Hold The Light” from Only the Brave
    “PBNJ” from Patti Cake$
    “Tuff Love (Finale)” from Patti Cake$
    “Lost Souls” from The Pirates of Somalia
    “How A Heart Unbreaks” from Pitch Perfect 3
    “The Promise” from The Promise
    “Kaadanayum Kaalchilambe” from Pulimurugan
    “Maanathe Maarikurumbe” from Pulimurugan
    “Stubborn Angel” from Same Kind of Different as Me
    “Dancing Through The Wreckage” from Served Like a Girl
    “Keep Your Eyes On Me” from The Shack
    “On The Music Goes” from Slipaway
    “The Star” from The Star
    “Jump” from Step
    “Tickling Giants” from Tickling Giants
    “Fly Away” from Trafficked
    “Speak To Me” from Voice from the Stone
    “Walk On Faith” from Year by the Sea

Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday, January 23.

I saw it yesterday at the Union Square Regal. Wonderful. Chalamet deserves at least an Oscar nomination. A friend suggested that I should read the novel, so I have ordered a copy.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& SUPER SPOILER ALERT &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Here is what you may have missed. Not sure how long this will stay up on You Tube.

Guadagnino spoke about this final scene at the Arclight Hollywood. He shot the scene 3 times. It's 3 and 1/2 minutes of Elio's emotional response. Guadagnino kept the middle take, another take was more emotional and the other one more stoic.

Chalamet and Guadagnino took questions from the audience at the Arclight and when one of the audience asked Chalamet if Hammer was a good kisser, the interviewer (I believe it was this same lady) cut off the person asking and said "I can tell you that he is." And anyone that has seen the movie has to agree! :D