Chicago hotels

Stormy
This topic is 2559 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of forum members are familiar with Chicago and will help out.....in the meantime, do you have a budget preference?....huge corporate place or quaint b and b?.....need to be near public transport?.....able to walk a ways for stuff?....

Luxury hotel? Budget hotel? Boutique hotel? Is B&B acceptable?

You'll find all of the above in a location you'll like, but you need to narrow it down some.

I think a 4 star hotel. I can take cabs for both work and pleasure

My recommendation is to use Hotwire and look for a hot rate deal. However, I would limit your search to Mag Mile, River North, and Old Town with the star rating of your desire and user ratings of at least 70%. If you include any of the others you run the risk of getting too far south. There really aren't many good hotels north towards Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Boystown. In any of the 3 areas I mentioned above transportation is easy.

If you don't like not knowing the exact hotel at time of booking, any brand name downtown will be nice.

My recommendation is to use Hotwire and look for a hot rate deal. However, I would limit your search to Mag Mile, River North, and Old Town with the star rating of your desire and user ratings of at least 70%. If you include any of the others you run the risk of getting too far south. There really aren't many good hotels north towards Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Boystown. In any of the 3 areas I mentioned above transportation is easy.

If you don't like not knowing the exact hotel at time of booking, any brand name downtown will be nice.

Thank you. I will need to get to the convention center each day. Public transportation is good from these neighborhoods to the convention center?

Thank you. I will need to get to the convention center each day. Public transportation is good from these neighborhoods to the convention center?

You're looking at cabs (or better yet Uber) but it's a quick drive down LSD.

I assume you're talking about McCormick. Theoretically you can stay close but it's pretty far south. If you are going to have personal time I recommend staying further north and paying the Uber fares. There is nothing to do by McCormick.

I have Starwood, Marriott, Sofitel, Hilton, Hyatt, and Fairmont membership. Hotels I've stayed at north of the river, just a bit closer to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Boystown (but by not a lot) are the Sheraton Grand, Westin River North, Hilton Suites (by the Hancock), Renaissance on Wacker, Sofitel, Embassy Suites, W on Lakeshore, and Four Seasons. In the Loop, Palmer House, JW Marriott, and W on Adams. All great. Will be staying at the Fairmont at the end of the month.

However, there are so many new hotels that have opened in the last few years I'd love to stay at, such as the Wit, Godfrey, and Gwen. It's a great town to sleep (nor not).

I have Starwood, Marriott, Sofitel, Hilton, and Fairmont membership. Hotels I've stayed at north of the river, just a bit closer to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Boystown (but by not a lot) are the Sheraton Grand, Westin River North, Hilton Suites (by the Hancock), Renaissance on Wacker, Sofitel, Embassy Suites, W on Lakeshore, and Four Seasons. In the Loop, Palmer House, JW Marriott, and W on Adams. All great.

However, there are so many new hotels that have opened in the last few year I'd love to stay at, such as the Wit, Godfrey, and Gwen. It's a great town to sleep (nor not).

+1

Sofitel and W are trending but in great locations and very nice. For the loop, Palmer House is a staple of Chicago. Rooms are small but service is second to none. Wit is actually a DoubleTree by Hilton but a great hotel.

Hate to tell you, but Boystown is no longer full of that many boys. It's been a straighter shade of pink for awhile now.

Look around Andersonville, Wicker Park, Edgewater and Rogers Park. The GLBT community dissipated, not feeling the need to ghettoize as they have in the past. I believe that's ultimately a pretty good thing.

Hotels: Virgin Chicago is fun. The former Elysian-now-Waldorf is contemporary, small and comfortable. Conrad Chicago is right in the heart of Michigan Ave (and close to Garrett's Popcorn).

I have to disagree with those who recommend The Wit. It is party central for clueless straight people. Would never stay there again.

My recommendations are The Palmer House Hilton, The W Chicago City Center on Adams, The Hotel Allegro, The Hotel Burnham, The Westin Chicago (909 N Michigan Avenue), The Westin River North (320 N Dearborn Street), and possibly The Hilton Chicago. The Palmer House is a grand old hotel. Stayed there last summer and despite the small rooms, it was really very nice. Haven't stayed at the Chicago Hilton and Towers, but it is also historic - after Conrad Hilton bought the hotel it was named after him. Lastly, The Drake is a very historic hotel located at the bend in Lake Shore Drive. If you can get a room with a view overlooking Oak Street Beach, Lake Michigan, and Lincoln Park you are in for a treat.

Regarding being "close" to Boystown, there really are no hotels that are "close." The Drake is not as far as the others I mentioned, but still a good 3 - 4 miles away. Traffic is ba-a-a-ad, so be prepared for a nice long Uber ride. That being said, the CTA is perfectly safe. The Red Line travels from the Loop to Boystown in roughly 15 minutes. Most of the Loop and Magnificent Mile hotels are within a short walk from the Red Line, which runs in a subway down State Street north to Chicago Avenue and then meanders north and west until it emerges to the elevated structure just east of Sheffield Avenue around Fullerton. There are only seven stops between the central Loop and Belmont, the Boystown stop. If you stay further north along Michigan Avenue there are fewer stops, obviously, because Boystown is north of the Loop. Exercise the same level of caution you would in NYC or San Francisco and you will be fine.

Had a room with 2 bathrooms.

That's the Hilton Chicago for you!

When I stayed at the Palmer House last year I could have upgraded to a suite that had a dining room that sat six people. If my trip was not so short I would have done it. Next time. :)

When I stayed at the Palmer House last year I could have upgraded to a suite that had a dining room that sat six people. If my trip was not so short I would have done it. Next time. :)

OMG, you reminded me that I completely forgot about when I stayed at the Intercontinental on Michigan Ave. The room was weird. A huge room with a king size bed, but most was taken up by a big dining/conference table. I think they've renovated since then.

I remember my room at the Palmer House (was there for a week) was decent size. The bathtub/shower was actually a little larger than most, but the sink and toilet area was cramped.

Some eccentric Chicago hotel rooms, including rooms at the Conrad Hilton with two bathrooms, happen when an older hotel converts two small rooms to one larger one. Small rooms were much more common when these hotels were built.

True, but it also happens when "back in the day" there was a bathroom for the gentleman and another for the lady. Just the charm that one finds in old hotels.

OMG, you reminded me that I completely forgot about when I stayed at the Intercontinental on Michigan Ave. The room was weird. A huge room with a king size bed, but most was taken up by a big dining/conference table. I think they've renovated since then....

The Intercontinental has an interesting past. I'd love to stay in one of the South Tower rooms and see whether there are any elements of the Medinah Athletic Club, which was the original occupant of the building. Here's the Wikipedia article.

By the way, @Stormy, you mentioned having business at the convention center. I'm assuming you mean McCormick Place. If so, stay away from the Congress Plaza Hotel. At one time it was a beautiful hotel but has since fallen on hard times. My uncle was a painter/decorator there in the 1960s and 1970s. I think he was the last person to slap a coat of paint on the walls.

True, but it also happens when "back in the day" there was a bathroom for the gentleman and another for the lady. Just the charm that one finds in old hotels.

The Intercontinental has an interesting past. I'd love to stay in one of the South Tower rooms and see whether there are any elements of the Medinah Athletic Club, which was the original occupant of the building. Here's the Wikipedia article.

By the way, @Stormy, you mentioned having business at the convention center. I'm assuming you mean McCormick Place. If so, stay away from the Congress Plaza Hotel. At one time it was a beautiful hotel but has since fallen on hard times. My uncle was a painter/decorator there in the 1960s and 1970s. I think he was the last person to slap a coat of paint on the walls.

I sometimes have trouble with quotes! I wanted to quote the paragraph about the Intercontinental and suggest you check out the pool.

Ha! Those quotes are tricky.

I've been to the pool when I lived in Chicago. Amazing.

Hate to tell you, but Boystown is no longer full of that many boys. It's been a straighter shade of pink for awhile now.

Look around Andersonville, Wicker Park, Edgewater and Rogers Park. The GLBT community dissipated, not feeling the need to ghettoize as they have in the past. I believe that's ultimately a pretty good thing.

Hotels: Virgin Chicago is fun. The former Elysian-now-Waldorf is contemporary, small and comfortable. Conrad Chicago is right in the heart of Michigan Ave (and close to Garrett's Popcorn).

It's been 15 years since my last trip to Chicago. I stayed at the Drake which was very nice. I have fond memories of Boystown. Very friendly and down to earth men

Chicago has lots of great hotel choices.....a nice value in a great location (E. Ohio Street just off the "Mag Mile" N. Michigan Ave) - Inn of Chicago......not where I stay but again a nice choice (price) for some....and also again not my preferred mode of transport but I assume busses run from N. Mich Ave to McCormick Place.....or short distance - cheap taxi ride.

https://www.theinnofchicago.com/

Archived