Raves for "Groundhog Day," new musical

WilliamM
This topic is 2552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw it opening night and enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Haven't thought about it much since, but it was entertaining.

Also saw this musical based on the 1993 classic movie staring Bill Murray. It was a fun show and I enjoyed it. But, as @RyanDean and @MrMiniver mentioned, other than Andy Karl, there wasn't much to take away from it.

Fortunately, Andy Karl, as weatherman Phil Connors, is in almost every scene. As a result of his on stage injury, he's wearing a knee brace. It's rather noticeable since he dresses/undresses a lot in the show. His acting is very good and earned him a Tony nomination but his singing is average. He didn't really hit all the high notes in his big solo "Everything About You". Barrett Doss as TV assistant producer Rita Hanson was wonderful in her role.

I laughed a lot. Thought the car chase was creatively done and, lol, when Phil Connors cut the umbilical cord with his teeth. The Dance Gala with the gay son and the police officer was special. Seems everyone in the cast had a happy ending. The show is filled with dancing, singing, repetition, drinking, and laughs.

Groundhog Day has been nominated for 7 Tony Awards. With the competition from "Dear Evan Hansen", I doubt it will win any but, who knows.

Thanks @WilliamM , @OneFinger and @Benjamin_Nicholas for sharing the reviews. I found them most valuable.

Coop

http://www.groundhogdaymusical.com/wp-content/themes/billmurrayisgodmusic/images/home-rotat-quote2.png

Note: Music and lyrics by Tim Minchin. Cast includes Andy Karl and Barrett Doss. "Overture," "There Will Be Sun," "Day One," "Day Two," "Day Three," "Stuck," "Nobody Cares," "Philandering," "One Day," "Entre acte," "Playing Nancy," "Hope," "Everything About You," "If I Had My Time Again," "Everything About You (reprise)," "Philosopher," "Night Will Come," "Philanthropy," "Seeing You." Recorded March 4. Please note: early shipments from Amazon are CD-Rs. Manufactured CDs will ship on May 12.

I am listening to the Amazon CD-R right now. It includes all the lyrics as well as photos from the show.

The information in the first paragraph is from an excellent source: talkinbroadway

Archived