Babs tickets

jerrybythesea
This topic is 2616 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What am I missing?

There was such a long gap between "Funny Girl," Central Park and concert appearances, people want to see her in person. She did perform a concert occasionally, especially when she lived on the canyon side of the PCH in Malibu -- amazing property. But, it was usually for charity and the tickets were not cheap.

... people want to see her in person.

I get that

I just don't understand a vocalist who doesn't keep their instrument in shape. If you're going to keep singing the songs that made you famous, make sure you can hit the money notes. There are many who simply don't sing certain songs anymore in concert (Bernadette Peters), while other who can still hit things as square as they did in their younger days (LuPone, Linda Eder).

I get that

I just don't understand a vocalist who doesn't keep their instrument in shape. If you're going to keep singing the songs that made you famous, make sure you can hit the money notes. There are many who simply don't sing certain songs anymore in concert (Bernadette Peters), while other who can still hit things as square as they did in their younger days (LuPone, Linda Eder).

Many aging singers modify their vocal register when singing their gold standards. There are few who don't have to but it's rare when your in your 70's. If you're suggesting that Bab's is lazy and doesn't keep her instrument in shape because she doesn't have to, I'd suggest to you that few performers are as concerned about perfection than she is. Sometimes things just wear out a bit.

Many aging singers modify their vocal register when singing their gold standards. There are few who don't have to but it's rare when your in your 70's. If you're suggesting that Bab's is lazy and doesn't keep her instrument in shape because she doesn't have to, I'd suggest to you that few performers are as concerned about perfection than she is. Sometimes things just wear out a bit.

I didn't say lazy. She just can't hit the notes like she used to. Simple as that. Her situation reminds me a lot of Bette Midler: The stamina and top notes aren't there anymore, but people would still pay a mint to hear her tell stories and just be in her presence.

Patti LuPone is 67. Her voice in many ways is stronger than when she did Evita in '78. How she does it, I don't know. It's amazing.

I can say the same for Dame Shirley Bassey. 80 and still hitting every big note.

There was such a long gap between "Funny Girl," Central Park and concert appearances, people want to see her in person. She did perform a concert occasionally, especially when she lived on the canyon side of the PCH in Malibu -- amazing property. But, it was usually for charity and the tickets were not cheap.

Her "One Voice" concert at her home was amazing and was for environmental awareness. It was a splendid evening and the stars were everywhere. Including the sky.

I didn't say lazy. She just can't hit the notes like she used to. Simple as that. Her situation reminds me a lot of Bette Midler: The stamina and top notes aren't there anymore, but people would still pay a mint to hear her tell stories and just be in her presence.

Patti LuPone is 67. Her voice in many ways is stronger than when she did Evita in '78. How she does it, I don't know. It's amazing.

I can say the same for Dame Shirley Bassey. 80 and still hitting every big note.

Sorry if I misunderstood "I just don't understand a vocalist who doesn't keep their instrument in shape"

It's not laziness on her part. It's simply not continuing to train. Great singers are no different than great athletes.

Benjamin, I am 73-years. Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra were just barely getting by near the end of their respective careers. The same was true for true Broadway legends like Ethel Merman and Mary Martin. Martin spent three years in "South Pacific" and two years in "The Sound of Music." Merman spent almost as much time in "Annie Get Your Gun." and "Gypsy." Those are just a few of their musicals, all before Broadway used microphones.

Barbra Streisand stayed with "Funny Girl" for almost three years in New York and London.

Archived