Entry rules to Canada are changing

Poppie
This topic is 2629 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

I wonder what that's all about?

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

2016? Bozo thinks you meant 2017

Bozo

It is probably to allow Canadian Immigration to pre-check intending visitors for anything that would prevent them from being admitted when they arrive. It also allows them to add your name to whatever data bases of visitors that the RCMP (or whoever) keeps. It lasts for five years, or for the validity of your passport. The US (2 year validity) and Australia (1 year) have similar systems.

No, he is right. This has been in place for a while now. They say it isn't a Visa, relying on teh technicality that it is online and instant. Which really means it is still a visa, just modernized. US has the same thing.

Doesn't apply to US citizens traveling to Canada.

Archived