He-Man Car Talk Thread

Gar1eth
This topic is 2622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The article that you linked states:

A Boeing 787 has 6.5 million lines behind its avionics and online support systems.

I think, as you said above, that is not too precise in distinguishing between software in the flight control, engine management, navigation/autopilot and service/sustainment management systems, which is what I meant, versus software in the passenger-facing systems for entertainment/connectedness etc.

It does state that, but the graph distinguishes between the code required for avionics (6.5MLOC) and total flight systems (14MLOC). Of the two dozen other articles I just read through all use one of both of those figures.

Either way, if GM is quoting 10MLOC for the entire Chevy Volt, as opposed to only its drivetrain, then it's an apples and oranges comparison. The ICE system could account for much of that on its own.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see what's wrong with that. First, it allows for the fanatic flexible seating that the Caravan is known for, but more importantly it means you can access the spare wheel without unloading the vehicle. Imagine you're a soccer mom moving your kid to college. You have folded all of the seats flat and loaded the vehicle with everything your child needs for the academic year. You get a flat tyre on a long, quiet road, and it's raining. If the tyre was in any of its traditional locations you would have to unload the vehicle to access it. The only way that Chrysler could make it more accessible is if they put it on the rear hatch door, but that would be unsightly.

You make a lot of sense. But I still prefer my spare in the trunk (the boot if you like) as the Good Lord intended. ;)

Gman

You make a lot of sense. But I still prefer my spare in the trunk (the boot if you like) as the Good Lord intended. ;)

Gman

So do I, but I prefer Chrysler's solution to simply removing the spare tyre, which is what a lot of manufacturers have done. I quite like the relatively old-school solution the outgoing Land Rover Discovery (LR4) uses, though it also requires the trunk to be unloaded.

hqdefault.jpg

It does state that, but the graph distinguishes between the code required for avionics (6.5MLOC) and total flight systems (14MLOC). Of the two dozen other articles I just read through all use one of both of those figures.

Either way, if GM is quoting 10MLOC for the entire Chevy Volt, as opposed to only its drivetrain, then it's an apples and oranges comparison. The ICE system could account for much of that on its own.

Much appreciate that explanation! I read the article fast and sloppy while writing one of my own on an entirely separate set of engineering issues.

Aw! Chryslers are much less horrible today than they were for a long time. :p

I recently almost bought a 2008 PT Cruiser-I had owned another PT Cruiser (can't remember the year) for about 6 months back in 2011/12 until I tore the bottom out of it-twilight, misty from rain, I ran over a concrete median. :(

Gman

Aw! Chryslers are much less horrible today than they were for a long time. :p

They're just mediocre these days, rather than outright terrible.

There's a story that Jeremy Clarkson tells, which may be apocryphal, but it's worth relaying. He says that in the '90s an engineer from Mercedes told him that they had received a sample seat from Chrysler for evaluation, with Chrysler stating that they thought Mercedes were overpaying for their seats. Chrysler were paying about 1/10th of the price per seat that Mercedes were. The Mercedes engineers supposedly sent the seat back, saying that they thought it was in fact Chrysler who were overpaying.

As I say, it may be apocryphal, but it's quite amusing. And given the high water mark of Mercedes quality in the mid '90s it's quite plausible. I've been in 200k mile 190Es with seats that look showroom fresh.

Much appreciate that explanation! I read the article fast and sloppy while writing one of my own on an entirely separate set of engineering issues.

When I finally realized I can only do one thing at a time well, my productivity shot up.

Whoever invented multitasking should be drawn and quartered, to illustrate the consequences. :mad:

185403-004-CB748828.jpg

When I finally realized I can only do one thing at a time well, my productivity shot up.

Whoever invented multitasking should be drawn and quartered, to illustrate the consequences. :mad:

185403-004-CB748828.jpg

Neurologically multitasking doesn't really exist, rather we shift our attention back and forth between the tasks and do both poorly.

185403-004-CB748828.jpg

Neurologically multitasking doesn't really exist, rather we shift our attention back and forth between the tasks and do both poorly.

It just occurred to me that we're a long ways from the spark plugs in Gman's Nissan Versa...:p

As a follow-up-the mobile mechanic came by yesterday. He changed out the spark plugs. Now supposedly iridium plugs aren't supposed to be gapped. But he measured them, and said the gaps weren't all the same. So he did gap them to make them even. He also managed to change them without disconnecting whatever fluid line would cause you to lose antifreeze and without disconnecting whatever would cause you the throttle valve (or something like that) need to re-learn its position.

He also performed a complete compression test-which thank Divine Providence-came out fine. He had scared me during the diagnostic where he tested one cylinder, and the pressure was low. I was envisioning having to get the engine rebuilt or having to buy a new engine.

The motor still sounds a bit rough to me, but, unless I'm imagining things, or just not hearing things I don't want to hear, it seems a bit quieter on acceleration.

I appreciate all the lively discussion on this thread. Ahh if only @geminibear were frequenting these parts still. He probably would have enjoyed a he-man topic like this.

And to imagine some people think we are only interested in s-e-x...:cool:

Gman

As a follow-up-the mobile mechanic came by yesterday. He changed out the spark plugs. Now supposedly iridium plugs aren't supposed to be gapped. But he measured them, and said the gaps weren't all the same. So he did gap them to make them even. He also managed to change them without disconnecting whatever fluid line would cause you to lose antifreeze and without disconnecting whatever would cause you the throttle valve (or something like that) need to re-learn its position.

He also performed a complete compression test-which thank Divine Providence-came out fine. He had scared me during the diagnostic where he tested one cylinder, and the pressure was low. I was envisioning having to get the engine rebuilt or having to buy a new engine.

The motor still sounds a bit rough to me, but, unless I'm imagining things, or just not hearing things I don't want to hear, it seems a bit quieter on acceleration.

I appreciate all the lively discussion on this thread. Ahh if only @geminibear were frequenting these parts still. He probably would have enjoyed a he-man topic like this.

And to imagine some people think we are only interested in s-e-x...:cool:

Gman

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thumbs/smileys-thumbs-951446.gif

I can add a little bonne bouche to the whole topic: I no longer drive, at all. Lesson learned from that blissful sojourn in Manahatto.

For short errands (up to 15-mile range!) I now use the very un-American mode of walking. :eek:

For longer, I take the city's excellent bus service, or Uber.

The uplift mental & emotional from eliminating the irritations of navigating streets & crazy other drivers has been vast. On foot, at every intersection now I witness insane drivers nearly killing themselves and others, and literally at least one big fender-bender every day. Often worse.

No thank you!

The was a time when the spare tire was more respected.

Was it really?

http://cbsnews3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/03/08/a6fd77e8-92fa-4606-a3b3-b6bb79af4bf4/resize/620x465/8fcba22688f67bf0845bf0cb70fb19d7/honeymooners-ralph-alice.jpg

:p

Archived