Significant Other

foxy
This topic is 2563 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Jordan Berman is a 29 year old gay guy searching for a mate and hopes to have children some day. His three best (girl) friends are also in search of the perfect mate, or at least as close as they can come to that. None of them want to be alone. Jordan makes a play for a hunk at work who is out of his league. One by one his girlfriends find a mate and get married leaving Jordan behind. When friends marry, friendships start to fall apart. There are lots of laughs in this play and some great speeches that get audience applause.

The play gets more serious as it goes along and ends on a question mark.

While the main character is gay I think it's a show that deals with issues everyone, straight or gay can relate to.

All the actors were very good especially the lead Gideon Glick. Barbara Barrie is terrific as Jordan's grandmother.

I really enjoyed the play and recommend it. Inexpensive tickets are available on tdf if you're a member.

SPOILER ALERT: If you plan on seeing this play, you might want to avoid the 3rd paragraph.

"Significant Other" has recently opened at the Booth Theatre. It's an easy play to follow and relate to. A 29yo gay man named Jordan who has 3 best friends, all girls, and all straight. We attend the bachelorette parties and weddings of all 3. As each gets married and moves on with their lives Jordan begins to feel he's losing his best friends forever and that his life will be one without love or a "significant other".

The play opens the door to a lot of emotions and questions faced by singles who watch their friends get married, have children, and start a new life. Jordan makes many attempts to find a lover but all end badly. The physical description that he gives of a co-worker that he's stalking is quite erotic. The internet also plays a big part in Jordan's relationships and he struggles with the question of to send or not to send.

I enjoyed the play and glad I saw it. It's well acted, well written, and has a most likeable cast. I did struggle with the ending as it left Jordan alone, loveless, and with little hope for the future. I could have come up with a happier ending but the author didn't ask me, instead, he chose to leave you feeling sorry for Jordan and wondering if he'll ever find what he's looking for.

The play has a limited engagement and is scheduled to close on July 2, 2017.

Sig01.aspx

I saw "Significant Other" Tuesday night and it is well written and acted. Gideon Glick gives a terrific performance as the lead male. However his character was so attractive and his character so personable, I found it difficult to believe that he was so unlucky in love. I thought the ending was overly pessimistic and therefore didn't dampen my enjoyment of the piece.

Didn't recognize her at first but 86yo Barbara Barrie, who plays the wonderful and loving Grandmother in "Significant Other", is still active in the theater. She has an impressive list of credits to her name, from theater, movies, and TV. I recall her most from the popular TV show "Barney Miller", 1975-1978, where she played Elizabeth, the wife of Barney Miller (Hal Linden).

http://seniorcitylocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Barbara-Barrie.jpg

I'm astounded she's 86 and and doing all those shows every week. I would have thought she was a younger woman playing the part of a grandmother. She was delightful. In my imagination there's a third act to the play where Jordan's grandmother sets him up with the guy of his dreams and he lives happily ever after.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed seeing this last week. Closing is not a surprise, since balcony was closed and they upgraded us to Orchestra seats. Gideon Glick is scrumptious beyond words. I agree it is hard to believe that such a cutie would have trouble finding a boyfriend, but the nerdy character does get in the way.

The lead in Significant Other, Gideon Glick, was a very likeable character and captured the hearts of many. IMO, he's a very impressive actor... I'd be interested to see what show he'll be staring in next.

http://www.out.com/sites/out.com/files/2012/10/31/out100_2012_GideonGlickxCR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived