Big River

foxy
This topic is 2644 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The winner of seven Tony awards in 1985, it's now returning to City Center in an Encores presentation for four performances. Another show I missed seeing years ago so this is my season for catch up.

Starring Nicholas Barasch and Kyle Scatliffe they both look easy on the eyes along with easy on the ears.

Will be seeing this opening night. Should be a good evening. Plus it's still Restaurant Week in NYC. Dinner and a show. The perfect night out with a hot date.

I'm seeing it Thursday night. Have never seen it, so this my chance. BTW and off topic, I was at the Lincoln Centre yesterday and saw a poster for Crazy For You. Manhattan Concert Productions are giving one performance of it at the David Geffen Hall on 19 February. I bought a ticket. My point is, it was only happenstance that I found out about it. Is there any site that has events like this and off and off/off Broadway shows listed?

There's an app for your smartphone for TKTS that lists the day of performance, half price tickets sold at the tkts booths in the city. One in Times Square, the Seaport, one in Brooklyn and one near Lincoln Center. Additionally if you qualify you can join TDF, Theater Developement Fund for bigger discounts. They usually have many off and off off Broadway shows. You can buy tickets several days ahead and buy several tickets. Also there are sites like TheaterMania and Broadway.com. There are several other discount sites that would probably list most shows. Newyorkcitytheayre.com for one. I like going to the theater and find you don't have to pay full price except for certain hit shows. The only problem with NY is that there are so many choices. If you add in concerts, dance and opera the possibilities are almost limitless.

The winner of seven Tony awards in 1985, it's now returning to City Center in an Encores presentation for four performances. Another show I missed seeing years ago so this is my season for catch up.

Starring Nicholas Barasch and Kyle Scatliffe they both look easy on the eyes along with easy on the ears.

Will be seeing this opening night. Should be a good evening. Plus it's still Restaurant Week in NYC. Dinner and a show. The perfect night out with a hot date.

It's one of my very favorite shows. I saw the original, and then the revival produced by Deaf West in Los Angeles that eventually moved to Broadway. What a score! And the book is very good to, something not always true with musicals. Enjoy and let us know all about it!

Yesterday, in NYC, the temps were in the 60's. A perfect day to be out and about. Saw the Encore Production of "Big River" at the NYC Center. My only disappointment is that it's playing for just 4 nights. It's an excellent production with a very talented cast. They truly made the adventures of Huckleberry Finn come to life. There was a 12 piece orchestra on the stage that not only played the music from the show but showcased each orchestra member with his/her own solo. The songs and singing were great. Several times the show paused as the applauds continued. I found it very lively and upbeat. A most entertaining musical. Shout outs to Nicholas Barasch as Huck and Kyle Scatliffe as Jim. Wonderful performances.

While yesterday's temps were in the 60's, today in NY is a different story. I'm watching the "Big Blizzard" debuting in the NY.

I am an Encores! subscriber, for the Saturday matinee performances, which are followed by an on-stage talkback and Q&A with creative crew and cast. I saw the original Broadway production of Big River and remember it fondly. Looking forward to Saturday! Glad to hear that folks have enjoyed the production and cast!

Sunday In The Park With George was also an Encores presentation. If I'm correct, the reviews were so good it moved to Broadway. I'm seeing it later this month and missed seeing it at City Center. So I'll be curious to see if Big River makes the same move. It deserves it. Aside from the wonderful cast and orchestra I think the production as staged doesn't need any more than it has right now. It was simple and elegant with nice uses of platforms that turned into the raft. Sunday In the Park I was told would be a full scale production. I'm hoping the sets don't overwhelm the show. Sometimes as the saying goes "less is more".

Archived