Can I negotiate outcall surcharges?

beethoven
This topic is 2658 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A question was asked this morning about Andrew, a masseur in NYC, and I noted that I live a short subway ride away (30 minutes door to door), but that he charges $40 extra (on top of his $140 incall fee) to come here. I also noted in my reply that another masseur who I visit in Hell's Kitchen lives close enough for me to walk there in 20 minutes (which I do), but charges an extra $40 to see me here -- but he hasn't been here, because I won't pay it.

I've been tempted to ask my guy in Hell's Kitchen if he'd waive the $40 fee to come here. He charges $140/hour for me to come there, and I've enjoyed several massages at on his table in his cramped apartment. I'd rather see him here. Should I ask him if he'd waive the $40? What about asking Andrew, even though I've never received a massage from him?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if we want to be treated with respect as clients....then we need to treat masseurs with respect also. If a masseur is charging $140 for an incall (his place).....and you want him to provide an outcall (to your place) which is 30 minutes away.....then a $40 outcall travel fee is more than reasonable. You need to look at it from his point of view......if he makes $140/hr at his place......then during that 30 minute trip to you (which is 1 hr roundtrip)....he could be doing a massage on someone else and be making $140.....so I think a $40 trip charge is more than fair....plus he has to lug all his supplies to you on top of that....as I said we need to respect to get respect in return.....these guys are professionals and I think we insult them by trying to get freebies and have them waive fees.....as clients we want great service.......yet we want them to do things for free? That's not fair.....just saying.....

I think that if we want to be treated with respect as clients....then we need to treat masseurs with respect also. If a masseur is charging $140 for an incall (his place).....and you want him to provide an outcall (to your place) which is 30 minutes away.....then a $40 outcall travel fee is more than reasonable. You need to look at it from his point of view......if he makes $140/hr at his place......then during that 30 minute trip to you (which is 1 hr roundtrip)....he could be doing a massage on someone else and be making $140.....so I think a $40 trip charge is more than fair....plus he has to lug all his supplies to you on top of that....as I said we need to respect to get respect in return.....these guys are professionals and I think we insult them by trying to get freebies and have them waive fees.....as clients we want great service.......yet we want them to do things for free? That's not fair.....just saying.....

You've never negotiated the price of anything?

Combining this thread's issue with another one on this board, it would seem that the benefit of scheduling an outcall in which the masseur comes to you is that you actually should receive the full sixty minutes of massage. You can shower before and/or after he leaves and do it on your own time. Now if the masseur wants to use your shower, then you have something to discuss.

I agree that it's a business and the price is the price. I have always believed in you get what you pay for. Now there are some people who have it in them to always haggle the price . If you can't pay it then move on. If you are haggling over time...which is a commodity that can never be replaced. I personally think $40 is super cheap for a outcall surcharge as the masseur brings all with him. If you like to get what you perceive as a "value" then have him come out for a two hour outcall or more. Just IMHO.

I generally agree with this but with a small caveat. A flat $40 outcall surcharge is a blunt instrument. The actual time and inconvenience involved is going to vary from one out-call to the next, so presumably this is kind of an average based on the provider's estimate of the typical outcall. So, if you happen to be live unusually close (I don’t consider an hour-long round trip on the subway carrying a table to qualify but a 10 minute walk might), the masseur may well be open to the idea, particularly if it will mean you can afford to see him more often. Under these circumstances, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to gently raise the issue as something that could potentially be a win-win as part of a regular arrangement. But I probably wouldn’t bring this up while trying to set up the first session.

Thanks for your comments; I appreciate your input. I'll just add that I would never dispute a masseur's surcharge if he has to tote his table with him. I fully understand that, but the masseurs I had in mind do not travel with tables. Evensteven is right; a short trip might be negotiated, but not on the first encounter.

This thread reinforces one of the several reasons why I stopped having masseurs come to my home. Budget is chief among them along with my own experience of more than a few traveling masseurs not caring so much about punctuality and even caring to show.

That said, there are certain very good masseurs that I see less often because of their supremely cramped space. It's possible that one such Hells Kitchen guy and Beethoven's guy are the same. So I don't see any issue saying to such a masseur that you have been seeing, "Since you are so close, can we negotiate your out call rate?"

A question was asked this morning about Andrew, a masseur in NYC, and I noted that I live a short subway ride away (30 minutes door to door), but that he charges $40 extra (on top of his $140 incall fee) to come here. I also noted in my reply that another masseur who I visit in Hell's Kitchen lives close enough for me to walk there in 20 minutes (which I do), but charges an extra $40 to see me here -- but he hasn't been here, because I won't pay it.

I've been tempted to ask my guy in Hell's Kitchen if he'd waive the $40 fee to come here. He charges $140/hour for me to come there, and I've enjoyed several massages at on his table in his cramped apartment. I'd rather see him here. Should I ask him if he'd waive the $40? What about asking Andrew, even though I've never received a massage from him?

You could just pay it, right?

Of course I could just pay it. Everything in our society, unless you're Bill Gates or Michael Bloomberg, requires that we consider cost and value. I'd like to see Hamilton, but I won't pay $500 to see it. If I were wealthy, I probably would. Same with a massage. $180, which represents the masseur's fee and his surcharge (for his non-table-toting short walk or very short subway ride,) is more than I care to pay. I have other masseurs who charge more than $140, but I'm glad to pay them because they deliver a far superior service.

I may be missing the joke, but is what is being pictured, "Haggis"?

I quote from the wikipaedia article:

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach[1] though now often in an artificial casing instead. According to the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique: "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour".

It is believed that food similar to haggis (though not so named), perishable offal quickly cooked inside an animal's stomach, all conveniently available after a hunt, was eaten from ancient times.

Although the name "hagws" or "hagese" was first used in England c. 1430, the dish came to be considered traditionally Scottish, even the national dish,[6] as a result of Scots poet Robert Burns' poem Address to a Haggis of 1787. Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties", boiled and mashed separately, and a dram (a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper.

Of Course! Oh you said: "Haggle." Never Mind!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/media/images/75904000/jpg/_75904921_154311347.jpg

Yes

I may be missing the joke, but is what is being picture "Haggis"?

I quote from the wikipaedia article:

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach[1] though now often in an artificial casing instead. According to the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique: "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour".

It is believed that food similar to haggis (though not so named), perishable offal quickly cooked inside an animal's stomach, all conveniently available after a hunt, was eaten from ancient times.

Although the name "hagws" or "hagese" was first used in England c. 1430, the dish came to be considered traditionally Scottish, even the national dish,[6] as a result of Scots poet Robert Burns' poem Address to a Haggis of 1787. Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties", boiled and mashed separately, and a dram (a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper.

Archived