I do not understand the phenomenon

swallows22
This topic is 7026 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was afraid you were going to show up here like this. This subthread really isn't about you. Its point is primarily to dissect Doug's style of argument, using your well-known MC persona to frame the discussion. It's the more interesting discussion to me, and that being the case I'm going to leave your diversion unanswered for now.

I fully acknowledge that this smacks of the same narrowness I'm railing against above, and that it leaves me more open to the "disingenuousness" charge as well. I plead that it's not from narrowness of mindset that I am ducking this, but that I am genuinely trying to keep this subthread on track. I also have to figure that there will be countless opportunities in the future for engaging with you in the exact same argument you're provoking here.

It's that damn sense of fair play rearing its ugly head again. I'm uncomfortable piling on without offering at least a chance to the individual trolls to climb out of their dark, slimy, creepy, fetid (look out Webster's, here we come ;) ) burrows.

Never fear. I'm not one to pound my head against brick walls forever. I know when to switch to pounding more yielding objects. Or to being pounded by them.

>I was afraid you were going to show up here like this. This

>subthread really isn't about you. Its point is primarily to

>dissect Doug's style of argument, using your well-known MC

>persona to frame the discussion. It's the more interesting

>discussion to me, and that being the case I'm going to leave

>your diversion unanswered for now.

REALLY?? Haven't you, yourself, and others made it so?

I interpreted the origin of this thread to be an observation about Rick's original threads and his responses to his/others' threads, or did I miss something?

I think the original posting on this thread was nothing but an uncalled for attack against a very well respected, long time poster, who has NEVER, at least imo, advocated anything other than camaraderie on this board! One, who I have never observed engaging in a personal attack against anyone for expressing a divergent opinion on any topic.

Likewise, I have never observed the accusations against woodlawn that this thread has diverged upon! :(

We all don't have to agree on any topic, or even "pretend" to like each other, but we shouldn't have to devolve into unfounded accusations against each other.

I think that both Rick and woodlawn, not to mention Doug69, were viciously attacked on this thread, and that, imo, is a damn shame, as all of them/us are part of what makes this board worth revisiting time and again! :)

>>So you look at Alex, Portland; Steven, Portland, Hagen, LA,

>>Brogan, LA, Kevin Slater, SFO, Gaucho, Rio, Steven Draker,

>the

>>world, etc.

>>None of this carry-on.

>>

>>Please explain.

>

>Well, if you ask my father, he'd probably say, "The answer is

>obvious: none of them are Jewish." (he's kind of hung up on

>that kind of stuff)

>

Actually, just to set the record straight, I am an honorary Jew. I went to a Catholic grade school and high school, but I worry alot, have a really bad sense of humor, and have this thing for hunky Israelis with gravelly voices. So I was made an honorary Jew. So that does not explain the difference.

I'll tell you what I don't understand. Two years ago on this very site, Mr. Munroe more or less publicly pledged to demonstrate his technique of how to open a hole to me. You would think that a guy who has all this time to write would have a few extra minutes to pound my hole properly. What's gives?

Still waiting for that demo, Rick.

Hopefully and openly, and tightly and truly,

Steven

>I was afraid you were going to show up here like this.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

> This

>subthread really isn't about you. Its point is primarily to

>dissect Doug's style of argument, using your well-known MC

>persona to frame the discussion. It's the more interesting

>discussion to me, and that being the case I'm going to leave

>your diversion unanswered for now.

It isn't about me -- except that it's my views (and the propensity of Rick and others to distort them) that the two of you have been arguing about. Well, to the extent it's about Doug, of all the people who post here (including me), I would vote Doug the least likely to need any help defending his style of argument or anything else about his conduct here. You haven't made a dent in his armor nor are you ever likely to do so.

Benny (hey, that's a new one, isn't it?), here's the deal with both of those shows, which happen to be two of my all-time favorites (the others are Rhoda, Cheers, Dark Shadows, All in the Family, I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show). MTM is not out on DVD...only Season One. The sales were not what Fox would have liked (about 80,000, I believe) so they cancelled all future releases. It's really sad and bizarre, because it's one of the most popular shows ever made, and it actually sold as well as other old sitcoms, but Fox was comparing MTM's numbers to those of Friends and others from their current roster. How dumb! Anyway, many of us have been writing letters and signing the petition http://www.petitiononline.com/mtmdvd/petition.html so we shall see.

Carol Burnett Show is only available through some sort of subscription service through Columbia House; I am not sure if those are compete episodes (with musical numbers uncut) or Best Of's. I don't want to go that route because it's usually way more expensive and you don't get complete seasons...I'm waiting to see if she'll get the full-season box-set treatment.

Two great resources I check regularly:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=103

>I am an honorary

>Jew.

I'm engaged to one of those.

>I worry alot, have a really bad sense of humor

Hey, I never worry. ;-)

>and have this

>thing for hunky Israelis with gravelly voices.

Oy...don't get me started. :o

>Two years ago on this

>very site, Mr. Munroe more or less publicly pledged to

>demonstrate his technique of how to open a hole to me.

>Still waiting for that demo, Rick.

Mr. Kesslar, Derek and I will be in SF at the end of March. Perhaps then? Maybe someone would want to get us all together... }(

From what I heard, the Burnett show stripped out the musical numbers to avoid paying ASCAAP fees for using the songs.

But yeah, it's a Columbia House subscription.

NOT worth it, in my opinion. Give them to me uncut and I'd probably sell my first-born (should there ever be one which isn't friggin' likely) to get 'em.

I loved the Burnett show, and even the watered down reruns on TVLand are fun.

I guess I am realy confused about where this all started. I don't know why swallows started this. I have noticed that he has only responded once since it started and then it only looked like he highlighted responses.

My own personal political views are so different from Rick's. But I have no problem with any of what he has to say (so I think he is dumb!). Where did this go, to insult so many people, esorts or not, and involved so many people. Good on you Rick, I think it its time to close this silly forum for good.

>As for Rick, I hired him a couple years ago. I don't think he

>knew I was a poster.

That's true; I still don't know who you are or who most of the posters are. I never ask (well, OK, I did ask someone recently but only because we'd been emailing quite a bit, and he didn't want to tell me so I dropped it).

>I had a good time.

I'm glad to hear that.

>His sense of humor is

>a little corny for a New Yorker, but I like his political

>posts.

Corny?! I think my humor is very sophisticated (then again, I do laugh out loud at Three's Company). :+

Archived