Montreal Hotel recommendations

DickyF
This topic is 2736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I believe this is relevant to strip clubs - I will go to Montreal in Jan for first time. I'd like to stay in a comfy hotel that is in walking distance to the strip bars. I also intend to hire someone. I therefore prefer not to stay in a small hotel or B&B.

Is the Gouveneur Montreal a good choice? It's got mixed reviews but it is big and close. Any other recommendations? thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe this is relevant to strip clubs - I will go to Montreal in Jan for first time. I'd like to stay in a comfy hotel that is in walking distance to the strip bars. I also intend to hire someone. I therefore prefer not to stay in a small hotel or B&B.

Is the Gouveneur Montreal a good choice? It's got mixed reviews but it is big and close. Any other recommendations? thanks!

I had a great experience staying at the Hotel St. Denis at the corner of St. Catherine and St. Denis. It is remarkably affordable for the quality. Rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated. They come with comfortable beds, modern baths, free wifi and a refrigerator, iron, etc. It is about a 10 minute walk from the strip clubs. There is a good restaurant for breakfast right next door. The hotel is about a block and a half from the stop for the express bus from the airport. The St. Denis has great reviews on TripAdvisor and they are deserved--a real bargain, quality for the money. The desk staff is polite and efficient, but not effusively friendly--not a bad thing in that your comings and goings will not be closely observed and guests coming to your room will have no access issues.

I had a great experience staying at the Hotel St. Denis at the corner of St. Catherine and St. Denis. It is remarkably affordable for the quality. Rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated. They come with comfortable beds, modern baths, free wifi and a refrigerator, iron, etc. It is about a 10 minute walk from the strip clubs. There is a good restaurant for breakfast right next door. The hotel is about a block and a half from the stop for the express bus from the airport. The St. Denis has great reviews on TripAdvisor and they are deserved--a real bargain, quality for the money. The desk staff is polite and efficient, but not effusively friendly--not a bad thing in that your comings and goings will not be closely observed and guests coming to your room will have no access issues.

Sounds excellent - thanks!

I just stayed at the Hyatt last week. Executive Suite with two rooms, one is a bedroom, the other is a living room so nice for entertaining guests. That being said it isn't the most modern hotel, but service was good and location was nice. It is attached to Disjardins tower, so there are plenty of places to eat, shop, and catch public transportation.

It is also about a 10 minute walk to the gay area. Either way have a blast, I loved it there. So much I am going back this weekend I think. 5 hours isn't too much of a drive right? :)

If you are adventurous, then I would try the hotel le st andre. Needs a little sprucing up, but room is always clean, plenty of towels and continental breakfast brought to your door. The best reason, besides price, is that it is a few hundred feet from campus and stock. Easy to hook up during the night with a dancer between sets!

If you are adventurous, then I would try the hotel le st andre. Needs a little sprucing up, but room is always clean, plenty of towels and continental breakfast brought to your door. The best reason, besides price, is that it is a few hundred feet from campus and stock. Easy to hook up during the night with a dancer between sets!

Does that happen still? I remember someone saying many of the dancers don't like when you're staying in the same area if they're going to do some after hour business. Apparently because everyone in the area knows who they are, and supposedly what they're up to. I was told staying in a surrounding area made them more likely - if that was to ever happen. :)

Does that happen still? I remember someone saying many of the dancers don't like when you're staying in the same area if they're going to do some after hour business. Apparently because everyone in the area knows who they are, and supposedly what they're up to. I was told staying in a surrounding area made them more likely - if that was to ever happen. :)

The Campus/Stockbar dancers won't go to the Gooveneur Hotel. It's is too close to where they work. Stay at a hotel at least 8 blocks away from the strip clubs. Try some of the hotels on Rue Renelevesque West, rates are reasonable.

Untrue.

Regardless of the validity I was just quoting something I had heard. Either way I went for the on site fun. Someone at campus was offering something off-site, but eh, I was not really interested. Doubt they would have even been awake at 10am when Stereo closed. :D

Gouvreneur can't be beat location-wise. It's a big hotel just a couple of blocks from Campus and Stock. I've met dancers from Campus there, no problem. It's connected to the subway station, a foodcourt, a drugstore, a bank. And because it's a big place--not a tight squeeze like St. Andre--you won't feel self-conscious about taking guests up to your room. It has a pool and gym. Room quality is decent--not luxurious but clean.

I love the Loews Vogue Hotel in downtown Montreal. The hotel is located in a prime location off Ste. Catherine street.

It is conveniently located near Peel metro which will take you anywhere you need to go in Montreal.

The Loews Vogue hotel is in the heart of everything Montreal. It has the most amazing bathrooms with strong shower pressure. The surrounding area is very safe. It is near the famous Crescent street and the business district.

Currently there is some construction on a new building near the hotel, but if you get a high floor on the flip side you should be good to go. It costs around $250 per night USD (including taxes) during the peak season. That's if you get a good deal. During the off season I've seen rates as low as $175 USD per night.

Currenty the USD / CAD exchange rate is very favourable for Americans at $1.34 CAD for each USD dollar.

Some people like to save money on hotels and spend it on dancers; however, if you cant take a decent shower then I find it difficult to enjoy my vacation.

Read some of the recent reviews on the Guv and judge for yourself if that hotel is worthy of your standards and patronage:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155032-d183244-Reviews-Hotels_Gouverneur_Montreal-Montreal_Quebec.html

Best wishes.

You're going in January (color meant to simulate ice...) -- that's a very important consideration. At that time of year, especially if it's windy, you may find you need a taxi to go even couple of blocks and you won't want to stand in the street trying to hail one. Ditto on the few blocks' walk to the Gouverneur. Best bet is a hotel (like the Hyatt; there are many others) which have an indoor/underground connection to the metro.

Is there a metro station right by Stock and Campus? And does it run late at night?

The Berri/UQAM station is about a 5 minute walk to Campus (6 minutes to Stock Bar):

http://people.reed.edu/~reyn/MontrealMetro1998.GC.JPG

The times that the subway trains run are posted at the entrance of the stations. Bozo's recollection is that the trains stop running between midnight and 1 AM on weeknights and 1AM -2AM on weekends.

Bozo

The Berri/UQAM station is about a 5 minute walk to Campus (6 minutes to Stock Bar):

http://people.reed.edu/~reyn/MontrealMetro1998.GC.JPG

The times that the subway trains run are posted at the entrance of the stations. Bozo's recollection is that the trains stop running between midnight and 1 AM on weeknights and 1AM -2AM on weekends.

Bozo

Can confirm what Bozo said. Was amusing watching people try to pull the door handle to this station when it was closed. Dont expect to close any place down and catch a train. Uber was brought back to Montreal a couple months ago. Very convenient and I had all great friendly drivers.

I have stayed at the Gouvernor. Location is the best and only asset in my opinion. Hotel dated, rooms have smell to them, employees are down right rude. Haven't stayed there in over two years. I have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and the Marriot Champlain. Both were convenient metro or cab rides to village. Courtyard in right on the parade route if you are there for Gay Pride in August.

You're going in January (color meant to simulate ice...) -- that's a very important consideration. At that time of year, especially if it's windy, you may find you need a taxi to go even couple of blocks and you won't want to stand in the street trying to hail one. Ditto on the few blocks' walk to the Gouverneur. Best bet is a hotel (like the Hyatt; there are many others) which have an indoor/underground connection to the metro.

You know, the weather is a good point! I might reconsider when I go. Or I might go to Ft L. Thx

I stayed at Sir Montcalm many years ago. Very nice owners. The apartment I had was very large...I think it was one of the first to be renovated but the shower in the bedroom seemed a little odd to me.

Last couple of visits I stayed at Studio Living It's a set of apartments in an old row house. I stayed in each of the downstairs units. Again the owner is an extremely nice gay guy. The walk is a few blocks to Ste. Catharine. Not bad in summer when I was there. Nicely renovated in a modern style.

But I agree, that summer is the best time to be in Montreal in general. Especially if you want to go out and see the sights during the day. It's a great old city.

Another option to check is misterbnb.com which is like Air bnb for gays. They have lots of places listed in the gayborhood. For example this place looks really nice

I remember January in NYC when it was cold and windy--17 degrees with a wind chill of minus 9. It was like being freeze dried. Still, warm coat, gloves, scarf and hat should do the trick if you walk briskly.

Best time to go to the strip clubs in Montreal is between December-March. The clubs are not crowded, so greater ratio of dancers to customers. You can stay at luxury hotels for as little as $60.00 a day. Just make sure you bring a coat with you, and somebody to warm you up in bed at night (Stockbar/Campus/Rentmen).

I stayed at Sir Montcalm many years ago. Very nice owners. The apartment I had was very large...I think it was one of the first to be renovated but the shower in the bedroom seemed a little odd to me.

Last couple of visits I stayed at Studio Living It's a set of apartments in an old row house. I stayed in each of the downstairs units. Again the owner is an extremely nice gay guy. The walk is a few blocks to Ste. Catharine. Not bad in summer when I was there. Nicely renovated in a modern style.

But I agree, that summer is the best time to be in Montreal in general. Especially if you want to go out and see the sights during the day. It's a great old city.

Another option to check is misterbnb.com which is like Air bnb for gays. They have lots of places listed in the gayborhood. For example this place looks really nice

Wow I didn't even know about misterbnb, great find!

Archived