Social media terms and definitions.

WmClarke
This topic is 2862 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I'm on Scruff now.

And some "I am" / "I am into" / "sex practices" choices are vague.

Chaser =

1. chubby chaser (I assume this)
  2. bug chaser

TasP = Treatment as Prevention =

1. I don't worry about it; if I get HIV I'll just take meds at that time
  2. something else??

There was one more but I can't remember it right now.

Chaser =

1. chubby chaser ( Correct )
  2. bug Pokémon chaser ( More than likely correct as well )

:D

2. Treatment as prevention (TasP) refers to HIV prevention methods that use antiretroviral treatment (ART) to decrease the risk of HIV transmission. Antiretroviral treatment reduces the HIV viral load in the blood, semen, vaginal fluid and rectal fluid to very low levels ('undetectable'), reducing the risk of onwards HIV transmission. (Source)

Right--I know what TasP is. But what does it mean on personal profile? "I'm HIV+ and on meds"?

I know what it means factually.

I do not know know how to interpret what it means on a social media profile.

I can't help you with interpreting what it means on a particular profile. However, asking the person whose profile it appears in is one way to break the ol' ice. Worst thing that can happen is he doesn't respond.

What a timely discussion! This study, conducted in Europe caught my eye today. They've pretty much proven as fully as is statistically possible that ART-adherent HIV positive partners with undetectable viral loads (<200 copies of the viral RNA per mL of blood) did not, and most likely could not infect their sex partners via barrier-free, anally receptive or penetrative sex.

The author seems to think this new breakthrough proving that HIV is nie impossible to transmit to an HIV negative partner when treatment is followed and the sex goes au naturel will suddenly force the jailhouse doors to fly open releasing all the poz men locked up for having had unprotected sex while HIV positive, and that the crippling stigma that accompanies an HIV diagnosis (even today) will simply evaporate like Severus Snape's lovesick patronus. But I believe there's still WAY too much ignorance and downright disinformation on the nature of HIV and its prevention or transmission for there to be any swift societal shift toward acceptance of barebacking poz guys or forgiveness of the fearmongering Weinsteins out there, but I could be allowing 23 years' worth of that stigma dampen my enthusiasm over such great news.

I believe what the intent of the mystery man's admission that he has HIV and takes his medicine like a good boy is to put any potential sex partners' minds at ease by assuring them of exactly what this PARTNER study has proven - if you choose to have sex with him, whether protected by barriers or not, you won't catch his HIV in the process. In many cases, putting that into one's social media profile can also serve to weed out anyone who would not be comfortable having sex of any sort with a poz partner. We don't like having to shoulder that kind of rejection bred from ignorance too often if we can help it, so putting it out there front and center makes the words themselves a sort of Offensive Tackle that clears the path for some wide receiving in a tight end or two. <wink> :p

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm on Scruff now.

And some "I am" / "I am into" / "sex practices" choices are vague.

Chaser =

1. chubby chaser (I assume this)
  2. bug chaser

2. something else??

There was one more but I can't remember it right now.

TasP - you should assume that person is poz.

Word of caution - lots of men on Scruff claim to be on PrEP (and neg by inference) but you can't really be sure. It's best to not make assumptions about anyone's status, and I would suggest taking the same precautions with everyone.

Here are some interesting sources on body-type terminology (not all of these terms are used on Scruff)-

https://pairedlife.com/dating/Gay-Men-Are-you-a-Jock-Otter-Bear-or-Wolf

http://davidatlanta.com/2011/09/the-gay-animal-kingdom/

http://www.jacobzflores.com/2011/09/18/a-reference-guide-to-the-gay-bear-culture/

TasP - you should assume that person is poz.

Word of caution - lots of men on Scruff claim to be on PrEP (and neg by inference) but you can't really be sure. It's best to not make assumptions about anyone's status, and I would suggest taking the same precautions with everyone.

Here are some interesting sources on body-type terminology (not all of these terms are used on Scruff)-

https://pairedlife.com/dating/Gay-Men-Are-you-a-Jock-Otter-Bear-or-Wolf

http://davidatlanta.com/2011/09/the-gay-animal-kingdom/

http://www.jacobzflores.com/2011/09/18/a-reference-guide-to-the-gay-bear-culture/

I don't believe anything just because I read it online. Sadly, we never know whom we can trust.

• 2 weeks later...

I must have missed something. How did we go from explaining an open and honest admission made by a poz person on his social media profile to this "trust no one; assume the worst" tone in just one page of comments? I'm not sure what more the poor guy could do to sufficiently warn potential sex partners of his health status save perhaps removing his dick, sewing his ass shut, and tattooing "COOTIES!" across his forehead in a striking, all caps 200 pt Broadway font.

I certainly agree that the safest assumption to make regarding a new partner's HIV status is that they could be infected and not even know it yet. That habit serves as a sufficient scare tactic to remind oneself that the burden of remaining HIV negative ultimately belongs to oneself and oneself alone. It urges one to take whatever preventative measures he deems appropriate for his own protection. But let's not take away credit from the honest guys among us who are brave enough to make that very personal, very stigmatized admission publicly day after day after day for the rest of their lives. That honesty costs us something whether you realize it or not, and it shouldn't be swept under the carpet woven from other people's cowardice and deceit.

Archived