NYT Marriage Section-What's The Deal

Gar1eth
This topic is 2911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are usually a few, and I thought I saw one last week. I haven't looked yet today. A few years ago, they were almost always older male couples who had been together a long time, but lately there has been a sprinkling of young couples as well, whose write-ups sound virtually the same as the young straight couples. I am waiting to see one that says they met on Grindr.

My quick scan of today's NY Times "Styles" section had at least 3 same-sex couples: 2 female and 1 male.

The NYT has its wedding info in a section called 'Weddings'. I've looked at the Weddings section in the NYT IPhone App and the NYT Mobile Web Site. There aren't any same sex pairings in either. I also looked at the Mobile Style Section where I also didn't see any. Are you sure the ones you are looking at are current weddings for this weekend?

Gman

The NYT has its wedding info in a section called 'Weddings'. I've looked at the Weddings section in the NYT IPhone App and the NYT Mobile Web Site. There aren't any same sex pairings in either. I also looked at the Mobile Style Section where I also didn't see any. Are you sure the ones you are looking at are current weddings for this weekend?

Gman

Hmmmm...I don't have the mobile App, I read it online, and I do see one for Sara & Lee for June 19th. I didn't dig deeper but looks like a least a female couple is front & center.

Hmmmm...I don't have the mobile App, I read it online, and I do see one for Sara & Lee for June 19th. I didn't dig deeper but looks like a least a female couple is front & center.

Thanks @Truereview. Interesting. Your example does not show up in the Wedding Section on the App. And I don't think it shows up in the Mobile Wedding Section either. I've never realized they might not list all the weddings in the app.

On closer inspection I did miss one F/F pairing on the App this week. Glancing at the pictures I mistook one of the pair for a male. Or I could claim I was only talking about M/M pairings. ;)

Gman

I just read the Sunday Styles section of yesterday's NYT (print edition), and saw 3 same sex marriage announcements, two female couples and one male couple. The latter was the typical late middle-aged couple who have been together for 20 years. They met at a gay rights fundraiser, and were married by an Episcopal bishop at the cathedral in Trenton.

The whole Styles section had so many LGBTQ articles and references that it was like reading the Advocate 20 years ago.

In the past, at least one member of the couple had to be from a socially prominent/old money family in order to have a wedding announced in the Times. It really meant something to those folks back then. If that is still the case then it should not come as a surprise that there isn't a gay couple that meets the criteria every week. Alas however, in these times there is probably a quota, 2 black, 1 mixed race, 2 gay, 1 lesbian, etc. and if there is room leftover they will include Skip Vanderbilt & Buffy Whitney. which means the announcement is nothing more than another reminder of how old traditions die away and are replaced with political correctness and therefore of little meaning....

In the past, at least one member of the couple had to be from a socially prominent/old money family in order to have a wedding announced in the Times. It really meant something to those folks back then. If that is still the case then it should not come as a surprise that there isn't a gay couple that meets the criteria every week. Alas however, in these times there is probably a quota, 2 black, 1 mixed race, 2 gay, 1 lesbian, etc. and if there is room leftover they will include Skip Vanderbilt & Buffy Whitney. which means the announcement is nothing more than another reminder of how old traditions die away and are replaced with political correctness and therefore of little meaning....

Yeah, all these mixed race lesbian weddings announcements now. What happened to tradition?

Archived