Questions about Creatine

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 2908 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.esupplements.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Kre-AlkalynEFX-123x240.png

I use this on workout days. One tablet before and one after. I use it for about 60 days and then cycle off of it for 30 days. I have tried the powder and I felt that it was more effective, but also found that it tends to bloat me. I don't seem to get that with the pills. As with all supplements, research them thoroughly, run the idea past your doctor, and then decide if it is something that you want to include in your daily routine.

There is enough information out there on creatine to make your head explode...there are as many pros as cons as to whether or not it is useful, so always consider who is giving the information out, and what their motivation is. When all is said and done. I decided to use it, and have off and on for several years now. I personally like the results, but that is strictly my opinion.

Good luck.

It increases your strength a little bit, so that you can handle more resistance and your recovery is a little quicker. It also enhances protein synthesis, so you might build muscle a little faster. I have always used the creatine powder. I remember, when I first started using creatine, 18 or 20 years ago, it made me gassy, but haven't had that problem since.

Thanks guys. How long does it take before I should start seeing results? I've been on it for 3 weeks now. Did a week of loading, and have been taking it pre-workout and later in the day since.

As with anything having to do with building muscle, it's gradual and requires patience and consistency. I would expect that you've seen some weight gain by now. This will be mostly due to the fact that the creatine is causing your muscles to hold onto extra water. With some people, the initial weight gain is substantial, 10+ pounds sometimes. When I start a new cycle of creatine, I put on 2-3 lbs. Don't expect miracles.

I have considered this as well. From what I have read the powder is the way to go as the liquids are unstable. I seem to have come to the point where I don't seem to have as much energy as I would like and have of late even been struggling to maintain my weight. I have always tried to eat a lot of protein, but I avoid red meat and especially beef which is rich in creatine.

It appears that @bigvalboy uses what appear to be powdered capsules. I wonder if there is a trade off regarding convenience vs. efficacy as most suggest buying the powdered version and mixing it with juice. Perhaps in BVB's situation the powder does not mix well with his liquid of choice?!?!

http://www.companyofmen.org/data/avatars/l/8/8655.jpg?1463723200

All kidding aside. Any more thoughts would be appreciated as I feel that I have reached an impasse.

I have reached an impasse.

What impasse? You just use creatine. It will cause you to add a few pounds from water retention and it will increase your strength slightly - no rocket science here. Are you saying that you have reached an impasse regarding restoration of your energy level? Creatine will enhance your strength slightly, but it won'd do anything for stamina and endurance. It seems like your issue is with stamina, rather than strength.

What impasse? You just use creatine. It will cause you to add a few pounds from water retention and it will increase your strength slightly - no rocket science here. Are you saying that you have reached an impasse regarding restoration of your energy level? Creatine will enhance your strength slightly, but it won'd do anything for stamina and endurance. It seems like your issue is with stamina, rather than strength.

Well, my definition of an impasse is more or less a situation in which no progress seems possible, a deadlock of sorts. Perhaps it was not the best choice of words, but that's how for better or worse I chose to describe the situation. As such I feel that I am not making any progress and have not only reached a plateau, but also feel that I am struggling to maintain what I have. Perhaps the energy portion of it is a fact of life, but in spite of being very dedicated, I have been disappointed with my results. Consequently I have been considering creatine as an adjunct to help me achive and maintain my goal of putting on a bit more muscle. I'm not looking for a quick fix, just something safe that will give me a bit of a nudge to help me reach my goal.

Well, my definition of an impasse is more or less a situation in which no progress seems possible, a deadlock of sorts. Perhaps it was not the best choice of words, but that's how for better or worse I chose to describe the situation. As such I feel that I am not making any progress and have not only reached a plateau, but also feel that I am struggling to maintain what I have. Perhaps the energy portion of it is a fact of life, but in spite of being very dedicated, I have been disappointed with my results. Consequently I have been considering creatine as an adjunct to help me achive and maintain my goal of putting on a bit more muscle. I'm not looking for a quick fix, just something safe that will give me a bit of a nudge to help me reach my goal.

Is it your goal to add more muscle? Or to improve your energy level? Both? Do you want to add a lot of muscle (like 20lbs) or a little (5lbs)?

Thanks guys. How long does it take before I should start seeing results? I've been on it for 3 weeks now. Did a week of loading, and have been taking it pre-workout and later in the day since.

You should be seeing some muscle growth and increased strength by now. The problem is that it is difficult to do a compare and contrast. Before I started on creatine I was working out with a steady and consistent routine, so when I added creatine, I noticed the gains, and was able to do a 'before and after' type of analysis. Just know that the gains you will see will be small, and it is difficult to calculate what those gains are. I noticed the difference, but it will be different for everyone. I can only say that creatine is only a supplement, it is just one of many things that you do that will help you to gain lean muscle mass. You will not see gains like you would with steroid use, and with all muscle building regiments, DIET is everything.

To @whipped guy point. The powder does mix will, and should be taken with a fruit juice. The sugar in the juice helps with the absorption. FWIW..WG, as we age, muscle growth does become increasingly more difficult. It can be frustrating. It is impossible for us to workout like the twenty-something kids and expect the same results. I push myself as far as I feel is safe, and leave it at that.

If you feel that you've reached an impasse or plateau, maybe try mixing up your exercise routine completely for a few months. Muscles get complacent, and it is necessary to shock them into growing again. Cross training might be good, or more jogging or power walking. Anything different might help...I just took about a month off completely from exercise, kept my food consumption in check, cycled off everything, and gave my body a complete rest. When I started back, I noticed growth almost immediately...good luck buddy.

and with all muscle building regiments, DIET is everything.

Inability to put on muscle is almost always caused by not eating enough. Until one sees how his skinny man's personality and habits are sabotaging his muscle-building efforts, not much progress is possible. He will exercise and exercise and get stronger and leaner and more cut, but he won't get any bigger. He has to eat more to get bigger.

Inability to put on muscle is almost always caused by not eating enough. Until one sees how his skinny man's personality and habits are sabotaging his muscle-building efforts, not much progress is possible. He will exercise and exercise and get stronger and leaner and more cut, but he won't get any bigger. He has to eat more to get bigger.

I agree...To clarify, not DIET as in dieting to lose weight, but Diet as in quality of food. A trainer was talking to a kid at the gym the other day. He was all of 19 years old, probably 6ft and couldn't have weighed more than a buck forty. The kid asked the trainer what else he needed to do, and the trainer looked at him and said "You gotta eat like a mother fucker"...

FOR WG...There's a little bit of everything here... ;)

http://handsome-muscle-mature-men.tumblr.com/archive

I agree...To clarify, not DIET as in dieting to lose weight, but Diet as in quality of food. A trainer was talking to a kid at the gym the other day. He was all of 19 years old, probably 6ft and couldn't have weighed more than a buck forty. The kid asked the trainer what else he needed to do, and the trainer looked at him and said "You gotta eat like a mother fucker"...

That's true. I'm, finally gaining mass, slowly and steadily. To do that, I finally let it sink in that I had to "eat like a mother fucker." I eat 3700 calories/day and have been gaining about 3#/month. What is so amazing about it, is, as long as you're killing it in the gym, you don't get fat, you just build muscle.

That's true. I'm, finally gaining mass, slowly and steadily. To do that, I finally let it sink in that I had to "eat like a mother fucker." I eat 3700 calories/day and have been gaining about 3#/month. What is so amazing about it, is, as long as you're killing it in the gym, you don't get fat, you just build muscle.

3 lbs a month is damn good. Kudos to you....

Is it your goal to add more muscle? Or to improve your energy level? Both? Do you want to add a lot of muscle (like 20lbs) or a little (5lbs)?

I really think that 5-10 pounds of muscle would do me some good. I am very lean. The last time I had a CT scan the doctor who was supervising the test said that I was the leanest and meanest person he had seen in a long time. I eat healthily and I eat a lot. I am not shy with portions when I'm home and when at a restaurant I never take the white styrofoam box home! Lots of grains, veggies, chicken, and extra virgin olive oil. I have not touched a French fry in over twenty years. Scout's honor! Unfortunately I'm not a fish person so I get my omega-3 fatty acids from walnuts.

I do weights three times a week and treadmill or bike the other days and never in the same day so as to not deplete my energy. I also try to take some sort of protein in conjunction with weights... usually plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with a couple of ounces of chocolate protein drink to add a bit of flavor. Though at times I will have it plain or with a bit of unsweetened natural apple sauce mixed in.

To @whipped guy point. The powder does mix will, and should be taken with a fruit juice. The sugar in the juice helps with the absorption. FWIW..WG, as we age, muscle growth does become increasingly more difficult. It can be frustrating. It is impossible for us to workout like the twenty-something kids and expect the same results. I push myself as far as I feel is safe, and leave it at that.

If you feel that you've reached an impasse or plateau, maybe try mixing up your exercise routine completely for a few months. Muscles get complacent, and it is necessary to shock them into growing again. Cross training might be good, or more jogging or power walking. Anything different might help...I just took about a month off completely from exercise, kept my food consumption in check, cycled off everything, and gave my body a complete rest. When I started back, I noticed growth almost immediately...good luck buddy.

BVB, your tip about the powder and juice confirms what I had read. I did take a couple of weeks off recently due to a flu bug... and as usual one always seems to make gains after taking some time off. I really would like to mix things up a bit more, but I have an issue with a couple of body parts and I was advised by my doctor to only do certain exercises and even those exercises are at times done in a unconventional manner that puts my body in a safe position and are done with a limited range of motion so as to avoid injury. Unfortunately that limits what I can do, but I work within those parameters as best that I can.

Any tips always appreciated!

I really think that 5-10 pounds of muscle would do me some good. I am very lean. The last time I had a CT scan the doctor who was supervising the test said that I was the leanest and meanest person he had seen in a long time. I eat healthily and I eat a lot. I am not shy with portions when I'm home and when at a restaurant I never take the white styrofoam box home! Lots of grains, veggies, chicken, and extra virgin olive oil. I have not touched a French fry in over twenty years. Scout's honor! Unfortunately I'm not a fish person so I get my omega-3 fatty acids from walnuts.

I do weights three times a week and treadmill or bike the other days and never in the same day so as to not deplete my energy. I also try to take some sort of protein in conjunction with weights... usually plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with a couple of ounces of chocolate protein drink to add a bit of flavor. Though at times I will have it plain or with a bit of unsweetened natural apple sauce mixed in.

BVB, your tip about the powder and juice confirms what I had read. I did take a couple of weeks off recently due to a flu bug... and as usual one always seems to make gains after taking some time off. I really would like to mix things up a bit more, but I have an issue with a couple of body parts and I was advised by my doctor to only do certain exercises and even those exercises are at times done in a unconventional manner that puts my body in a safe position and are done with a limited range of motion so as to avoid injury. Unfortunately that limits what I can do, but I work within those parameters as best that I can.

Any tips always appreciated!

While you are putting on that 5-10 pounds you should strictly limit or even eliminate cardio, but you should really kill it with weights. You could eliminate cardio and increase weights to 4x week.

You should start tracking your food intake, you may be eating less than you think. Or you may be like me. I burn an amazing number of calories. I started at 3000 calories per day and kept bumping it until I got to 3700 per day. 3700 is what it takes for me to have enough of a calorie surplus to build muscle. I eat mountains of food and don't get fat. My trainer emphasized that I lose weight so readily that I can't miss a single meal if I'm going to achieve my goal.

As with anything having to do with building muscle, it's gradual and requires patience and consistency. I would expect that you've seen some weight gain by now. This will be mostly due to the fact that the creatine is causing your muscles to hold onto extra water. With some people, the initial weight gain is substantial, 10+ pounds sometimes. When I start a new cycle of creatine, I put on 2-3 lbs. Don't expect miracles.

I'm just really impatient. I haven't been able to exercise at all for the past 2-3 years, and was pretty much limited on range of motion and the amount of weight I could pick up. I've seen some firming up, no real weight gain to speak of, and I'm hoping my strength improves as the muscle builds. I'm eating lean protein and using a big dose protein powder 2x a day now.

While you are putting on that 5-10 pounds you should strictly limit or even eliminate cardio, but you should really kill it with weights. You could eliminate cardio and increase weights to 4x week.

You should start tracking your food intake, you may be eating less than you think. Or you may be like me. I burn an amazing number of calories. I started at 3000 calories per day and kept bumping it until I got to 3700 per day. 3700 is what it takes for me to have enough of a calorie surplus to build muscle. I eat mountains of food and don't get fat. My trainer emphasized that I lose weight so readily that I can't miss a single meal if I'm going to achieve my goal.

Thanks! I try to keep the cardio as far apart from the weights so as not to have them fight with each other. As such I never do them the same day. However, it might be a good idea to ease off on the cardio as you suggest when trying to bulk up.

Thanks! I try to keep the cardio as far apart from the weights so as not to have them fight with each other. As such I never do them the same day. However, it might be a good idea to ease off on the cardio as you suggest when trying to bulk up.

I'm happy to help. Good luck.

I've been reading up on this supplement and just added it to my daily ritual. Has anyone used this, and does it really work? I'm trying it to increase some muscle growth and hopefully some strength. So far all it's done is make me nauseous and really gassy :eek:

I found that creatine irritated my kidneys and I had to stop taking it. Your creatine levels should be pretty high already if your trying to build muscle, your red meat intake should go up quite a bit.

If you want to get big you need to eat a ton of food and it should be clean. A personal trainer is always helpful too. You could always go to your local street pharmacist and get roids but those can be problematic

Archived