Christopher Reeve Dead at 52

Boston Guy
This topic is 7171 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Christopher Reeve died yesterday. He had been hospitalized for treatment of a pressure wound (a common affliction for quadriplegics). He developed a systemic infection that led to heart failure.

He was straight. But when he was a young, largely unknown actor in Manhattan, he would often go with gay friends to gay bars and was open in his acceptance of gay men and a supporter of gay rights.

From all accounts, including personal accounts from personal friends who knew him first-hand, he was one of the good ones: a decent guy trying to live a decent life. He certainly set an example for handicapped people trying to live a full life and, indeed, for the rest of us. Seldom do we see people persevering so mightily for so long in the face of such difficult challenges.

Goodbye, Superman.

BG

The British used to date events according to the year of the sovereign's reign. So perhaps the obituaries should note that Reeve, who might have benefitted from stem cell research had he survived longer, died in the fourth year of George W. Bush.

To me, Christopher Reeve was an example of how truly courageous a human being can be when face with utter tragedy. When faced with a tragedy that would have broken any of us, he took what happened to him and made it a positive. He, in my opinion, is an inspiration to us all.

Guest ReturnOfS

Man, this caught me by surprise. This sucks. I remember that he use to exercise so much to try to stay in shape for the time that he might walk.

Chris played a gay character in the lead role of the play "Fifth of July" on Broadway around 1980. Reeve was more than credible as a gay man on stage, although he was not necessarily the world's greatest actor. That was during the "Superman" period and he sure was sexy in person!

Thomas took over for Reeve and did the taped version that is still available in many video rental stores. I forgot to mention that Reeve also played a gay character in the film "Deathtrap."

Christopher did an amazing amount of good in his calling attention to the possibility in helping the disabled, especially those with spinal cord injuries. He was a hero in real life as well as Superman.

It saddens me to know we have lossed such a special person. His passion, integrity and devotion to finding a cure was admirable. His courage in the face of such a severe disability is humbling.

My prayers go out to his family and friends. The only good thing in all of this is that I know he is walking, running and indeed flying around the heavens now........and he is probably faster than a speeding bullet.

Christopher Reeve put up a heroic fight and no doubt some of the research that resulted due to his plight, notoriety and determination will help others with similar spinal disorders for years to come.

The unsung hero in this tragedy is his wife, Dana Reeve. She took her marriage vows seriously and stood by him through sickness and worse.

Archived