Input on Vetiver?

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2946 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I need some input:

Years ago, I wore Guerlain's Vetiver as a daily cologne. I loved the fragrance and what it did with my own pheromones / odor / stink. Several people asked me whether I was actually wearing something, or did I just smell that way?

It was lingering enough that all of my clothes smelled of it. It was wonderful!

I also found it hard to find, and eventually stopped using it.

Come 2000, Guerlain reformulated it, and it isn't the same. Not even close. And now, in 2016, they've re-packaged it, so I don't know if the formula is changed (again), the same (part 2) or back to the original.

I've also read that there are several other "vetivers" out there, including Tom Ford Grey vetiver, and encre noir

The problem is finding a parfumerie locally (or even in Boston) that might have some fragrances to try.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to go to NYC for this.

Guerlain's main rival in a Vetiver scent is Vetiver Carven, which was formulated originally in 1957 ( and re-formulated). My best friend wore it as his evening scent for many years. It is available at Saks ( stores and online) Roger et Gallet used to make a Vetiver cologne, but I think it was discontinued. Creed also makes Vetiver, although their prices are as stratospheric as their reputation for quality. I have found that some scents that are difficult to find are available on Amazon for lower prices than in stores. You may also be able to find a bottle of the original Guerlain formulation on E-Bay. You need to check on how it has been stored because scent can go "off" if improperly stored.

There is a nice Scent Shop for men in Boston, I believe it is on Milk Street. It is right around the corner from the Club Quarters on Devonshire. Walk down the block toward Faneuil Hall and at the corner make a left. Cross the street and near the end of the block there is a basement shop that has a wide variety of scents for men. At least it was there last year, but with businesses moving in and out, who knows. Not sure of the name. There is also an nice neighborhood gay bar just down the street.

I also used to Love Guerlain Vetiver but havent seen it for years, Creed vetiver is excellent, as is Tom Ford. Frederic Malle does a lovely one too, and Creed also does a new one I love called vetiver/geranium. The best Vetiver I ever bought was outrageously expensive, and is really distinctive, its made by Rojas

Yes, Roja Dove vetiver is probably the best (and my personal favorite for vetiver) currently, along with Chanel Sycomore. L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe is great too. The name is misleading...the scent is prominently vetiver. I also like Atelier Vetiver Fatale.

There is a Barneys in Boston? Probably your best bet for a good fragrance selection. Or try luckyscent.com. Their site sells .7 ml sample vials you can try before buying a full bottle

Yes, Roja Dove vetiver is probably the best (and my personal favorite for vetiver) currently, along with Chanel Sycomore. L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe is great too. The name is misleading...the scent is prominently vetiver. I also like Atelier Vetiver Fatale.

There is a Barneys in Boston? Probably your best bet for a good fragrance selection. Or try luckyscent.com. Their site sells .7 ml sample vials you can try before buying a full bottle

I should have included that caveat ... that small samples would be great to start.

@gallahadesquire Have you tried searching for a bottle on amazon or ebay. Perhaps typing the colognes name along with "original version" will come up with something.

I rarely wear cologne, I did buy my first and only :p about 2-3 years ago when I was in south beach. It has a really nice sleek smell. Not too overpowering but has the right kick ;) It's called bleu de chanel. Ive barely used 1/3 of it after all this time. I need more dates/ocassions to use it for :p;)

I tried that, DOminiking. I got a sealed bottle of the old formulation that had a rubber stopper AND a cap. It was about as sealed as you could get. And everything was off.

I'll see if we have a Barney's in Beantown (doubt) and also check out luckyscent.

thank you, all, for your contributions.

I tried that, DOminiking. I got a sealed bottle of the old formulation that had a rubber stopper AND a cap. It was about as sealed as you could get. And everything was off.

I'll see if we have a Barney's in Beantown (doubt) and also check out luckyscent.

thank you, all, for your contributions.

http://www.barneys.com/location/#!/stores/254

I was going to suggest mail order and asking for samples, but purchasing a trial size works too.

Actually getting to smell and possibly try it on in a store is the best option (personally, I wouldn't buy if I weren't allowed to try it on, but I don't know how that works with men's cologne), but if the nearby stores don't have everything you might want to try, mail/internet order is the way to go.

I also second Will Do's suggestion of trying Caswell-Massey's version. I'd forgotten that they sell a Vetiver cologne until he mentioned it. Their prices are reasonable, and I've always been happy with their products. There aren't any Caswell-Massey stores in Boston, but there are stores that carry their products. Or you can always order from them.

Regarding the following: I looked at the Caswell-Massey website, and didn't see any Vetiver there. Any hints as to where I can find it?

What I enjoyed about the Guerlain was the immediate citrus, which [fortunately] went away to leave the earthy basenotes of bergamot and vetiver, and THOSE were the ones that persisted on my clothing.

Thanks for all the input!

Vetiver from Caswell-Massey is great, light not heavy.

Though I like their Number Six, its been around forever. George Washington preferred it.

Nice clean aroma.

I was going to suggest mail order and asking for samples, but purchasing a trial size works too.

Actually getting to smell and possibly try it on in a store is the best option (personally, I wouldn't buy if I weren't allowed to try it on, but I don't know how that works with men's cologne), but if the nearby stores don't have everything you might want to try, mail/internet order is the way to go.

I also second Will Do's suggestion of trying Caswell-Massey's version. I'd forgotten that they sell a Vetiver cologne until he mentioned it. Their prices are reasonable, and I've always been happy with their products. There aren't any Caswell-Massey stores in Boston, but there are stores that carry their products. Or you can always order from them.

Regarding the following: I looked at the Caswell-Massey website, and didn't see any Vetiver there. Any hints as to where I can find it?

What I enjoyed about the Guerlain was the immediate citrus, which [fortunately] went away to leave the earthy basenotes of bergamot and vetiver, and THOSE were the ones that persisted on my clothing.

Thanks for all the input!

Hmmm. Just accessed the C-M website. Didn't find Vetiver - must not sell it anymore. Sorry!

Archived